GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Installing Linux - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installing Linux

A little Linux joke for all the forum geeks.

Comment

sudo apt-get install fortune
      fortune linux
      Last edited by Riz; 1 February 2013, 14:30. Reason: sudo
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I thought I'd just make an update post on my Linux installations, and on what I still need to do.

I've reached a position that I'm contented with. I've got three PCs which run usable versions of Windows (XP and 7), and also Linux Mint. Adjusting to different software has been relatively easy, as many of the programs are the same -

Browser

Firefox on both Windows and Linux. No change.

Email client

Thunderbird on both.

Office Software

LibreOffice on both.

Music Player

foobar2000 is Windows only. It does run in Wine on Linux, although not perfectly.
        Clementine is the best Linux player, and that would also work on Windows.
        The only issue I've had with playing music files is with playlists. The .fpl files which foobar2000 uses are not compatible with any of the Linux players, so I've had to go through my entire 1TB+ music collection, creating new playlists in the .pls format. The irony is that if I'd been psychic 7 years ago, I could have just used .pls files to start with, as they play in foobar2000! As it is, there is no reason to delete the .fpl files, so each folder now has identical playlists for both foobar2000 (Windows) and Clementine/Audacious/Movie Player (Linux).

Clementine actually has a better set up for streaming audio. Just copy the URL for the WCPE (radio station) Ogg Vorbis stream into the field, and it actually keeps it in the menu. Useful.

Music editing

Audacity runs in Windows and Linux with no problems.
        Izotope RX2 is Windows only, and there is no alternative for Linux or Mac. I have read one report of someone getting it to work perfectly in Wine, and that is now my greatest challenge. As there is no alternative to this software which can produce anything like the same result, this has to work for me to be independent from Microbug.

Video Player

VLC is cross platform. No problems.

Graphics/Images

I have always used Paint.NET in Windows. It will not run in Wine.
        There is no doubt about it – I am going to have to bite the bullet and learn GIMP. I've always found this program impossible to understand, but graphics is my weak spot. There are tutorials, and everyone rates it a superb piece of open source software, so I'll just have to rise to the challenge. If I can do so, I'll be better for it.

Other software

Cheese - for your webcam
        Shutter - for still shots of the screen

Still to come -

HTML editor

I use Alleycode in Windows – not Linux compatible. Any alternatives?

FTP Client

No problems – Filezilla is cross platform.

Screen capture video

CamStudio is open source, but only works in Windows. Any alternatives?

Video editing

I was pleased to see my favourite video editor, Avidemux, in the list of Linux software, so no problems there.

As you can see, I'm not quite there yet. It it still less than a month since I installed Linux for the first time, so it would be wrong to expect me to be. I've made a lot of progress, but you can't expect to match eight years of learning Windows in a month on Linux. In two or three months, possibly.

I'll keep updating as I discover something new.

SH

Comment

Please consider doing a "Gimp for thicko's" guide please when you master it. I have it as I understood it to be a fabulous piece of free software and have never managed much more than a bit of cropping, pasting and resizing!

I so wish I was better at getting my head around this stuff, but instead I was blessed with cooking skills!
          If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Just out of interest, SH, why do you prefer Clementine over Banshee? I've not really tried the former, so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

I'll start building the separate Linux box soon. I still want to dual-boot my main machine with the Radeon card that isn't at all Linux-friendly but I'm too busy using Windoze stuff on it to have another go at the moment. In the meantime, I've recovered my Android (Linux-based) phone after almost bricking it with a firmware update that went wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by evilcartman View Post
              Just out of interest, SH, why do you prefer Clementine over Banshee?
              Aah! Now you've got me! I must admit I hadn't tested that one. I was only comparing it with Audacious and Movie Player (and, of course, VLC. We must never forget quite how versatile that program is). I'll do some tests on that one and tell you how I find it.

There is one strange phenomenon I can't explain – on one of the PCs, the bar in the bottom right hand corner of Clementine is grayed out. This means I can't see how long the track is, and I can't move the pointer if I wanted to move to the middle of a long track. It can't be incompatibility with Mint 14, because the other PC running that doesn't have the same problem.

It's not serious, because most tracks and playlists are played from start to finish, and if I wanted to start at the middle of a track I can just open it in Movie Player instead. It is strange, though.

The extremely good news, from my point of view at least, is that I've downloaded RX2, and it works almost perfectly in Wine. I say almost perfectly, because the display cuts the end character off some words. The “Declick”, for example, just appears as “Declic”. The functionality of the software, which is what matters, is perfect. I cleaned the extreme surface noise off a track recorded from 78rpm and it works just as well as in Windows. I'll now have to run some speed tests to see how it compares, but I didn't notice any difference.

That means that the goal I set myself a month ago has been achieved. I would now be able to manage perfectly well without Windows if I had to lose it completely.

I have obviously been extremely lucky with hardware, as I've had none of the problems which evilcartman and many others have experienced. I'm glad to hear you've recovered your cell phone, and I hope you finally get that dual-boot sorted. It does give you the best of both worlds.

SH

Comment

Installed mate 14 on a new pc. Today downloaded some stuff then went out and now it won't connect to the net

Thought i'd try here again, searching google on a laptop using same net service and still being stuck with an expensive music player !

Thanks to anyone who can help.

M1

Comment

Oh, Transmission is very good for torrent downloads. Not that anyone here would use such a thing for anything that upsets the music and film companies' business model, of course.

@mystery1: wired or wireless connection? If it's wireless, have you tried setting up a wired connection (just so that you can download stuff to fix your wireless connection if need be)?
                  Last edited by evilcartman; 5 February 2013, 18:54.

Comment

Yes wireless. However i just unplugged my usb wireless adapter and put it in another usb and i'm online now.

Cheers.

M1

Comment

Just having a look at OpenSuse for the first time in a while. Must say I quite like the upcoming 12.3 release under KDE.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9362b001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1393214

ubuntu don't seem to be paying a much care to their derivatives now. i.e. KDE, xfce4 etc, and I want to use those as I can't stand Unity.

I may switch an older laptop over to OpenSuse and see how it goes.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                      X