GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with scrambled screen in Linux - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with scrambled screen in Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem with scrambled screen in Linux

I'm going to give that a try in a while, rizzle. I'm using the live DVD again in compatibility mode right now and noticed on the GRUB screen that you can edit each option by hitting the tab key.

This was what was puzzling me before, I kept reading people saying that I needed to edit the boot options but I had no idea how I was supposed to do that.

I take it that I just add the term "xforcevesa" to the string?

Edit: Er, no, that doesn't work. I'll need to add the other terms in that string to get it to work. And if that doesn't work, I have the old Nvidia card to hand. Now that has always worked with Linux in the past, so it should just boot up.
    Last edited by evilcartman; 25 January 2013, 09:41.

Comment

Tried entering that string, still got the corrupted screen.

I have now fitted the old card and... ta-da!... it booted up first time without any problems.

So it's definitely the card. At least I now know I can build a dedicated Linux box with my old hardware (once I've obtained a new PSU). But I'd quite like my main machine to be able to dual boot Windows and Linux with my best graphic card.

AMD do a proprietary Linux driver for the Radeon 6670 and there is the the open source one. So is there a nice step-by-step guide somewhere that will enable me to install the Radeon drivers while I am using this Nvidia card?
      Last edited by evilcartman; 25 January 2013, 10:15.

Comment

Seems a bit of a faff, but......

BinaryDriverHowto/ATI - Community Ubuntu Documentation

I think at some point you will to generate a new xorg.conf so probably have to have the Radeon card installed at least for that bit?

If needed can you get to a terminal/command line when you start up with the Radeon card installed?

e.g. CTRL+ALT+F2 when loaded up.

or booting via the recovery option in grub?
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
          Seems a bit of a faff, but......

BinaryDriverHowto/ATI - Community Ubuntu Documentation

I think at some point you will to generate a new xorg.conf so probably have to have the Radeon card installed at least for that bit?

If needed can you get to a terminal/command line when you start up with the Radeon card installed?

e.g. CTRL+ALT+F2 when loaded up.

or booting via the recovery option in grub?
          I'll have a good browse of that, rizzle. In the meantime, I need to put the Radeon card back in as I actually need to do some work within Windoze. However, at least I know now what the problem is. I've also checked that the Ubuntu 12.10 DVD runs perfectly with the Nvidia card in too.

I can get as far as the menu with the Mint DVD, as long as I hit a key to get to the boot menu. I can't even get that far with the Ubuntu DVD, it just goes straight to the "Jackson Pollock special" screen.

I'll give Ctrl-Alt-F2 a try when I have the Radeon back in.

Comment

Give it a go and see what happens.

I've never set up a Radeon card on a linux box, let alone troubleshoot one, so honestly I'm flying as blind as you on this.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I just tried to use google translate on this page..... and that's coming from a more than competent coder.

It came as "gobbldy-gook language - me no understand"
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Give it a go and see what happens.

I've never set up a Radeon card on a linux box, let alone troubleshoot one, so honestly I'm flying as blind as you on this.
                OK, Radeon card back in, posting from Windows again.

Both the Mint and Ubuntu DVDs do manage to get me as far as the GRUB menu but I still get the scrambled screen once I've picked the option to start Linux (apart from when using the "compatibility mode" in Mint).

Ctrl-Alt-F2 doesn't take me to a command line interface in either version.

Comment

So when you are at the scrambled screen, CTRL ALT F2 does nothing?

Drat!

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    I just tried to use google translate on this page..... and that's coming from a more than competent coder.

It came as "gobbldy-gook language - me no understand"
                    It's context and background as ever. If you had set up a Linux system and run one for a while, it would make more (if not complete sense).

Imagine someone that doesn't know the CCA from their elbow coming in on one of the more technical CCA discussions cold?

Comment

So when you are at the scrambled screen, CTRL ALT F2 does nothing?

Drat!
                      Well, when you do attempt to type things or hit function keys etc, you see a slight change in the patterns, like it's a random Jackson Pollock painting generator. I should be printing out these screens and exhibiting them at the Tate Modern.

So Linux is clearly working behind the mess, it's just that I can't get to see it properly.

I can get the proprietary driver from the AMD website and have downloaded them (via Windows). My problem is how to get them on a Linux installation when I can't get past that stupid screen.

Comment

Well, as said what happens if you boot in recovery mode and select the "drop into a root shell option"?

Comment

Working...
                        X