GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Dodgy Meter - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dodgy Meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy Meter

Morning all!

When my gas and electricity supplier went to the wall last September I got transferred to Shell Energy. Everything seemed ok except that the bills were increasing which I assumed was down to the price increases. Decided to get a Smart Meter installed so I could keep a closer watch on usage, installation was scheduled for end August.

Original DD in Sep was £80pm, this increased to £180 in March and they tried to get it to £260 last month. I went online and using their 'app' kept it at £180. Looking at the bill, specifically usage I could see that the electricity usage was going through the roof, it wasn't just the price increases that was causing the problem.

Jan 327 kWh
    Feb 318kWh
    Mar 407kWh
    Apr 577kWh
    May 649kWh
    Jun 740kWh

I got in touch with them, sent in 7 days of meter pics, unfortunately missed one but was told it wasn't a problem. They said that once the Smart Meter was installed they would monitor it for a while and compare with what we were paying.

This morning I got an email saying they were going to put it up to £320pm . Went online to try and change it but found I couldn't. Got in touch with them by chat and they refused to keep it at £180 even though I had flagged the possible meter issue and it was under review. Lot of to and froing but ended up with them agreeing to keep the DD at £180 if I cleared the 'arrears' of £100.

Have also delayed the Smart Meter until the end of October and arranged for a secondary electricity meter to be installed in Sep to confirm in line the accuracy or otherwise of the existing meter.

Not having much experience of dodgy meters, have I done the right thing?

Ta.

Avoid a smart meter they really are not worth it.
    you are correct in asking for a secondary check meter, this will highlight any discrepancy in metering, following this you can have an electrician do a test on your install to identify any anomalies in current usage.

Comment

Thanks!

Any specific type of electrician?

Comment

Preferably one that is recommended by friends,neighbours, or family, they’re usually the ones that know what they’re doing.
        what’s you location?

Comment

Update: Went with a Smart Meter install back in September instead of the secondary meter. After 3 months of smart meter records to compare with historical readings they have agreed that the summer usage was wrong and are currently looking at how much of a refund I should get. Here's hoping.

Comment

Originally posted by roomtobreathe View Post
            Update: Went with a Smart Meter install back in September instead of the secondary meter. After 3 months of smart meter records to compare with historical readings they have agreed that the summer usage was wrong and are currently looking at how much of a refund I should get. Here's hoping.
            That's good. Hope you don't regret the Smart Meter later down the line.

Comment

The second meter would have been a safer bet. But still each to their own.

Comment

Thanks for the replies all!

The customer service at Shell Energy is just a little above a pile of poo.

They basically say there's nothing wrong but I think they don't really understand. Every time I call them I have to explain everything from Step 1 and it usually ends up with a follow up email from them asking me for my meter readings, even though they already have them, followed by silence. And they seem to have it in their heads that my name is Sheila.

My enquiry is now an official complaint but even though it is I still hear nothing from them. They have sent me a complaints procedure and it seems I can now go to the Ombudman or use their suggested process which is something called Resolver.

Question, should I use Resolver or go straight to the Ombudsman?

Thanks

Comment

ombudsman since you have a final official complaint. i.e.:- Final Response. resolver waste of time you been through complaints. keep copy and file receipt (free proof posting).

Since shell took over including Broadband a hell of a lot of complaints.
                  Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 27 February 2023, 06:16.
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Have you kept an evidence trail, a full record of all that has been going back and forth, including all emails? You need something like that to make your case to the ombudsman.

If you haven't got a paper trail, using Resolver could give you a chance to establish one. Also, I think they can put you in contact with the ombudsman if necessary. Give their website a full checkover before making a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Waving View Post
                      Have you kept an evidence trail, a full record of all that has been going back and forth, including all emails? You need something like that to make your case to the ombudsman.

If you haven't got a paper trail, using Resolver could give you a chance to establish one. Also, I think they can put you in contact with the ombudsman if necessary. Give their website a full checkover before making a decision.
                      Thanks Still Waving, the point about a paper trail is a good one. My experience is that the email follow ups after the phone calls often has no bearing on what was discussed, it's a mess, even down to addressing me as Sheila!

Comment

Working...
                      X