GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Renewing my Virgin contract - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renewing my Virgin contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing my Virgin contract

Here's a strange one with my Virgin Media account.

I called at the end of my contract to see if they could offer a better deal, and was offered a monthly contract at a good price. I mentally put that into my back pocket and asked to speak to the business team as that was the only way to get a static IP address. They couldn't come up with a sensible package and when I asked to be transferred back to the domestic team I was (accidentally?) hung up on.

I took a deep breath, called again and was offered a contract some seven pounds more than in the call an hour previously. I was told in turn that I was never offered the original amount, that the amount I was quoting was not available, that it was a business only deal and that whatever I was offered before would not be honoured.

I believe I used the words 'outrageous' and 'unacceptable', and after some background muttering was told that they would honour it by applying a manager's discount of £10 per month from the standard amount. This however would not be shown on any of the paperwork I would receive but I was not to worry, 'this happened all the time'. I asked for an email confirmation of the agreement but 'this was not available' - I expressed some doubt that Virgin Media did not have access to email but none was forthcoming.

As expected I was duly charged the larger amount, and submitted a complaint. After three months they apologised for the delay in responding and hoped that would be an end to the matter - there was no mention of the contents of my original complaint.

I then, with no expectation of success, lodged a complaint with CISAS and in fairly short order Virgin accepted my complaint, agreed to honour the original amount and credited me with the overpayments while the contract had been active. They also quietly upped my access speed too, which was a bonus.

I'm not sure what happened in the background but it looks like I rattled someone's cage.

I'll submit an SAR over the weekend to see what I can glean about any conversations that were had.

Originally posted by Night Monkey View Post
    I believe I used the words 'outrageous' and 'unacceptable'

I think you were remarkably restrained in your response

I favour the 'thorn in their side' approach so see what the SAR says and then start making some noise on social media - Twitter has its uses!

Also let their regulator Ofcom know if there has been any naughtiness to report.

Revenge works.

Di

Comment

Received a call from Virgin's complaints department, who apparently didn't have access to my full complaint until I'd completed the security checks so it took him some time to get up to speed. He was looking to make sure I was 'happy' with the resolution and close the call but couldn't explain what happened (or why) during the first exchange, why the two consumer advisers offered such different deals or what motivated the second adviser to act as he did. He couldn't even explain why the random upgrade appeared or who had instigated it - he suggested it might be by way of 'apology' but didn't have any information to elaborate further.

He did gently suggest that I close the GDPR request but I wasn't having that - I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

I'm with virgin media and trust me I feel your pain. I phoned up to get a better deal at the end of my contract and was offered an amount that was 40 pound a month more than they offer new customers.

So after monaing to the mrs for a bit I just emailed the ceo and somebody from the complaints team got back to me and resolved the issue and now I get a great price.

Out of curiosity what did you want a static ip for? Security cameras? I'm am useless when it comes to dealing with credit agreements etc but I.T issues, phone and broadband is my wheel house.

Comment

I'm more than happy with the deal I've got now, in fact Mr. Complaints Department was slightly taken aback by it. I just wish it could have happened without all the hassle and needing to phone them every time the contract gets renewed so that I don't get ripped off.

...what did you want a static ip for?
          I'm running Ubiquiti uniFi network kit and liked the idea of having access to the controller from outside the house. According to Virgin I could only have a static IP address with a business account, but in addition I could only put the modem in modem-only mode with a more expensive account that would also give me five IP addresses; I tried arguing this as nonsense but frankly gave up. Only to be met with the above shenanigans.

Mrreese6018
          Person of Interest fan are we?

Comment

call from Virgin's complaints department . . . He was looking to make sure I was 'happy' with the resolution and close the call . . .

He did gently suggest that I close the GDPR request but I wasn't having that - I'm looking forward to it.

So am I

Di

Comment

I'm more than happy with the deal I've got now, in fact Mr. Complaints Department was slightly taken aback by it. I just wish it could have happened without all the hassle and needing to phone them every time the contract gets renewed so that I don't get ripped off.

I'm running Ubiquiti uniFi network kit and liked the idea of having access to the controller from outside the house. According to Virgin I could only have a static IP address with a business account, but in addition I could only put the modem in modem-only mode with a more expensive account that would also give me five IP addresses; I tried arguing this as nonsense but frankly gave up. Only to be met with the above shenanigans.

Person of Interest fan are we?
              I have gone down the Google wifi route, your I.P address will only change if you switch between router / modem mode , my external I.p has been static for the last 4 years.

I am really happy with what virgin media offers it is just how they treat existing customer which i really don't get.

Oh yes big POI fan even though can't bring myself to watch the last episode.

Comment

my external I.p has been static for the last 4 years.
                Interesting, I'll monitor & see what happens. For some reason I've had to leave it as a full router because Sky TV can't seem to handle modem mode, so that's another job for the weekend ...

Oh yes big POI fan
                I almost went for 'root' as a user name, but it seemed presumptuous somehow. And thinking about it it's probably not allowed anyway.

even though can't bring myself to watch the last episode.
                So you've never seen it? Or once is enough?

Comment

Working...
                X