GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Police given more powers? New Road Enforcements - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police given more powers? New Road Enforcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police given more powers? New Road Enforcements

Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face on-the-spot fines

Motorway tailgaters and middle-lane hoggers are to face quick justice with on-the-spot fixed penalties under new measures announced by the government. From July, police will be able to issue £100 fines and three points for careless driving offences that currently have to go to court. The idea is to free up the police from spending time on court cases. Current fixed penalties for using a phone while driving or not wearing a seatbelt will also rise by £40 to £100.The move brings careless driving offences into line with the penalties for similar non-motoring fixed penalties. Drivers will still be able to appeal against any decision through the courts......Read more here
    Yes
    45.45%
    No
    18.18%
    Agree to punish Lane Hoggers/Mobile Phone Users
    36.36%
    Other
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Police given more powers? New Road Enforcements

One of my pet hates..... middle-lane hoggers.

Especially when the near side lane is free at 5am on a morning when there's no one else about....
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

just a lot of really bad drivers out there, this is just one of the things that drive me bonkers, tailgating is my pet hate, they are usually just bullys.

What they should be looking at is "entering a motorway from a slip road", after 30 years on the road doing around 30,000 miles a year, entering the motorway was where I saw most serious near misses and two really bad accidents, all because the guys on the slip thought they had right of way, one of them actually nudged another car into the path of a lorry resulting in a really bad accident, I was about ten cars back and had a really clear view due to a bend in the road, frightened the life out of me.

Comment

they are also looking at penalizing drivers on roundabouts -

"For godforsaken why did they put lane upon lane markings on roundabouts, confuses drivers more"

its easy as Pie:

When you are approaching a roundabout and want to come off at the exits - traveling anywhere after 'the 12 o'clock hand on a roundabout' you remain on the right side (the inside) of journey, and if you are coming off before 12 o'clock you remain on the left as approach........with all these multiple lane markings is Bollocks.......worse offenders are local drivers for it and blaming day drivers for diddling too slow trying to read the markings on the roads.........

Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1394370

Personally its a bit extreme for points or penalty fines on roundabouts

They also going to penalize those that leaves the 'Giveway' Junctions - YES if they don't put there foot down when cutting up in front of you, ALSO people who parallel parks a car or parks in 2 parking bays or up your arse (i leave a NOTE: 'Leave a Tin Opener next time')
        Last edited by 5corpio; 5 June 2013, 08:33. Reason: Trying to load pictures but failed -SORTED NOW

Comment

lane markings have never confused me on a roundabout they actually make sense.

Roundabouts near me, each lane shifts over as you go round each exit, with new lanes emerging from the centre after each exit, so simple, you just follow the lane your in and pull off when its time to do so.

People who find it hard cant drive, simple as that.

I agree with the on the spot fines, however they should of had more traffic police in place to enforce it.

If someone hogs the middle lane on an empty dual carriage way, how will they get caught? we all know when police are around people suddenly become the worlds greatest driver, so fail to see how that will be enforced.

All its probably going to do is create more fines for mobile phone use.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post

I agree with the on the spot fines, however they should of had more traffic police in place to enforce it.

If someone hogs the middle lane on an empty dual carriage way, how will they get caught? we all know when police are around people suddenly become the worlds greatest driver, so fail to see how that will be enforced.
            Don't know around you're neck of the woods, but in my area we are seeing more unmarked traffic cars cruising the roads....bloomin cheeky, at least with a marked car you have a half a chance.

Regarding middle lane huggers, yes throw the book at them, they encourage people to get annoyed in which case they then become dangerous drivers...

We have to tow car transporter trailers up and down the motorways and towing a trailer is banned in the outside lane, nothing worse than coming up behind some HGV or Rover driver hambling along in the middle lane at 50mph...

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
              We have to tow car transporter trailers up and down the motorways and towing a trailer is banned in the outside lane, nothing worse than coming up behind some HGV or Rover driver hambling along in the middle lane at 50mph...
              You shouldn't be doing more then 60 mph anyway.....if your pulling a trailer....

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
                You shouldn't be doing more then 60 mph anyway.....if your pulling a trailer....
                We only do 60...

Comment

Last week, i was driving to work on a dual carriage way, and a traffic cop was driving, shall i say, strangly.

Dipping in and out of traffic on a 3 lane dual carriage way, i had the feeling he was itching for a pull over.

Next thing i know, they stick their blues on seconds after a car uses an exit slip road to pull them over.

Now rightly or wrongly of them, the car they were pulling over decides to stop dead 20ft away from the junction entrance off the dual carriage way.

About 5 cars behind them including me had to slam our breaks on, a few of us beeped our horns.

Personally i see both of them at fault here, no reason why the copper couldnt have let them exit and flash them a bit futher up the slip road, and the idiot who was pulled over should have only stopped when it was safe to do so...further up the slip road!

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
                    nothing worse than coming up behind some HGV or Rover driver ambling along in the middle lane at 50mph...
                    There is.

Their speed could be a stately 35 mph.

Comment

Not made my mind up on this one yet, so haven't voted for the time being.

I'm glad that the police are giving attention to this most irritating example of fuckwitted driving but I'm not too happy about them being given yet more new powers.

Couldn't they have just used existing powers to pull these dicks over and "have a word", then issue cautions/summons for repeat offenders?

Comment

So long as enforcement is served correctly and they do not stop innocent mistakes in order to generate income, then I back it 100%.

For example, we all go in the wrong lane from time to time - they must accept that mistakes can and do happen - even pigs make mistakes. I would hate for innocent motorists in the wrong place at the right time to be examples - when the roads are full of twats at the best of times.

I also think everyone under 25 ought to be banned. A car is a lethal weapon and most accidents are caused by under 25's. Thus my solution, no driving till you're 25

17 is absurd. At 17 you're still a child, some worse than others.

Ok, Ok - leave the lectures - That's my opinion!
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                          There is.

Their speed could be a stately 35 mph.
                          Well cloggy that wouldn't be most HVG's but could be said of most Rover drivers...

You can bet your life held up at slow speed in a line of traffic on an open road by the time you get to who is at the head of it, it's going to be a Rover,Toyota Prius, or Kia driver.....

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                            So long as enforcement is served correctly and they do not stop innocent mistakes in order to generate income, then I back it 100%.

For example, we all go in the wrong lane from time to time - they must accept that mistakes can and do happen - even pigs make mistakes. I would hate for innocent motorists in the wrong place at the right time to be examples - when the roads are full of twats at the best of times.

I also think everyone under 25 ought to be banned. A car is a lethal weapon and most accidents are caused by under 25's. Thus my solution, no driving till you're 25

17 is absurd. At 17 you're still a child, some worse than others.

Ok, Ok - leave the lectures - That's my opinion!
                            Ah but you could argue that its the driving expierence they have had for over 8 years which reduces their likelyhood of further incidents, in which case banning everyone till 25 could mean a higher number of claims between 26 and and 34 year olds. Personally i think advanced motorway courses should be manditory.

Comment

Working...
                            X