GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Opinions required used car sale. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions required used car sale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinions required used car sale.

Originally posted by di30 View Post
    He was quoted on "Webuyanycar" for his Corsa £950, he purchased the Corsa 4 years ago at over £4K.
    Hi Di

I don't have any experience of this company but know a few people who have. Each one was offered a lower price than given on the website, it would appear to be a standard tactic. A lot of pressure was then put on them to accept the price, given the spiel of the hassle of selling privately etc.

When the price being offered is significantly less than selling privately I wouldn't bother anyway, make sure you can get every single penny possible!

eBay is also a nightmare for selling cars, too many timewasters and false bidders, or people just don't bother turning up!

IMO autotrader is still the best method for selling cars. At least when the phone rings you know you are going to meet potential buyers in person and are going to get the cash right there and then. The only hassle is people viewing the car and test drives so make sure anyone wanting a test drive is insured.

Best
    SnV
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yes I thought it was a little low.

A garage quoted him £1250, but again this I suppose will depend on what car part ex'ing for.

Comment

Have your thought about putting the car on Ebay, I've sold a few though there and I've never had any major problems.

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
          Have your thought about putting the car on Ebay, I've sold a few though there and I've never had any major problems.
          Up until the last 12 months I didn't have any problems either.

Unfortunately eBays new policy on not being able to leave negative feedback or pursue sellers has allowed timewasters and tw@ts free reign to bid on items with very little recourse.

If you need to sell a car to free up the capital to buy a new one, eBays 'reconciliation' service takes too long if someone has no intention of buying the car in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of genuine eBayers out there but the last 4 cars I sold on eBay I had hassle selling each one:

'Bid when I was drunk',
          'I live in London and don't have a lift, could you drive the car to me',
          'Just looked at insurance and can't afford it'
          'I'm in Poland and can't collect the car for 2 weeks'

You name it!
          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I know what you mean but the last car I sold in January went off with out a hitch, I must have just been lucky!!!

I agree though on bangereconomics, it amazing what you can drive around in for a £1000

Comment

i just sold my corsa (1998 with 100k on clock) on ebay.

Think how much you'd want for it in comparison to others of similar stats on auto trader and ebay.

i placed a buy it now with best offer and it went for the buy it now price. total cost to sell it on ebay £30.

i'd also put it on autotrader and pistonheads but ebay was the winner for me
              I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

ref the point about diesels and DPF's

It is essential that when the oil is changed the correct oil is put in the vehicle, C3 grade oil is the stuff, normal engine oil is A or B grade.

Comment

An update, well sort of lol.

Jamie will be viewing some cars tomorrow, as he's not absolutely certain what he wants yet, but with the Streetwise he said he will check with the sales guy of when the cambelt was changed, gasket etc.

He's been doing some research on them, and he have not mentioned about the other car he supposed to be viewing yet.

Jamie says thank you all for your help, and I said I will keep you guys updated, cheers.

Comment

I know of a nice SAAB 1.9TD Convertible that should make less than 2K. I have also seen an 05 plate low mileage, fully loaded SAAB 93 go for 2.5K. Probably to high and insurance group and I don't know how much your son want's to spend. As I have said before If your doing a lot of miles something big and solid is always a good investment. It's the fear of Fuel costs, Road Tax and Insurance that puts folk off these bargains. But something like a Volvo or SAAB will last for many more miles than a Corsa or similar.

Regards, Handy
                    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Cheers Handy

That does sound good, and I defo agree with a bigger car, with the mileage he does.
                      I like the Saab's, Volvo's nice too.

Went to check on a few cars today but he's still undecided, I will however mention the ones you said about, thank you.

Comment

Hi Di, the SAAB convertible went for under 1K. There are loads of good cars about. To be honest, I'm thinking of doing a little saving. If I can get a couple of hundred together and 1.5K for my 03 plate I may be able to upgrade to an 05 or 06 plate with @ 60K miles.

Like I said I'm not biased () but I have always had better service from larger cars when I have been doing high mileage.

I even had a Ford Scorpio when I was travelling from Dundee to York and back every week. Petrol was cheaper then but I was doing over 750 miles a week, a small engined car would have died in months.
                        Also don't discount automatics, these days they don't use much more fuel than manuals. An automatic gearbox will generally last well over 100K without any problem, and they are a dammed sight more relaxing to drive on long journeys.

Besides if I want to drive mine manually I can, otherwise I just leave in in full auto.

Regards, Handy
                        Last edited by Handyman; 1 July 2012, 21:48.
                        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Working...
                        X