GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Dementia - What signs to look for? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dementia - What signs to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dementia - What signs to look for?

Dementia App Spots Early Signs Of Condition

A new iPad-based memory test can spot dementia in its earliest stages, when treatment can be most beneficial.

The CANTABmobile test assesses patients' short-term memory with a series of challenges in which they have to remember symbols. Trials show that it accurately distinguishes normal age-related forgetfulness from dementia and other treatable memory problems. Patients who receive treatment are more likely to be able to continue working and living independently. Dr John O'Loan, who has been testing the app at the Culcheth healthcare surgery in Warrington, Cheshire, told Sky News that it can reassure patients....Read more here: Dementia Treatment: iPad Memory App Test To Spot The Condition In Its Earliest Stages
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Update:
      Ten-minute touch-pad test to predict dementia

A simple test to help predict people likely to develop dementia has been invented by a company in Cambridge. The test, which is already being used in the NHS, involves memory tests that gradually get harder and asks question about how users live and feel....Click HEREto see Video News:
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

My nan has Dementia, when i think back to my childhood the signs were always there that it would happen in later life, but back then you just put it down to thats what my nan is like, you know.

She used to do silly things like put post-it notes on light switches to remember which way was on or off.

To you and i it would be a simple case of, if the lights off its off, or if its on, its on, but people with Dementia just dont think that way.

Towards her early 80's it was apparent that she could no longer look after herself, she had a care worker visit her every week, but that wasnt enough, my nan would only eat if she was forced to, otherwise she would forget, and the classic is that she would give money away to random people.

It was decided that she needed some sort of care, somewhere where she could be looked after, so after a 2 year battle with tower hamlets council, we finally managed to get her placed in Jewish Care, Southend.

Shes 93 now, still going strong, however the care home is going through some rough times regarding funding, and its likely it will be closing down, so were currently in the process of seing if we can get her moved to another home.

Ive been trying to find the article posted on here about claiming care home fees if someone has not been correctly assessed for full funding, but i cant find it, maybe someone here can post the link?

Currently, tower hamlets council pay most of the fees but the rest is paid from my nans pension, if she was entitled to full funding, there would be ALOT of money due to be repaid to her all the way back to 2004.

Comment

Lloyds TSB pays compensation after lending dementia patient £18,000

Comment

Scorpio, have you considered sending this information to lloydstsb for their staff since clearly they do not have any understanding of this.

Comment

SXGuy, I believe this may be the thread you are referring to?

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...ight=care+home
              If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

that was it, thank you very much diddlydee!

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post

Ive been trying to find the article posted on here about claiming care home fees if someone has not been correctly assessed for full funding, but i cant find it, maybe someone here can post the link?

Currently, tower hamlets council pay most of the fees but the rest is paid from my nans pension, if she was entitled to full funding, there would be ALOT of money due to be repaid to her all the way back to 2004.
                  Hi SXGuy.... that would be my thread.

My situation is slightly different from yours in that my Mum has since passed away but from what you say, the signs of dementia were present in your Nan long before she went into the home, so you may have a case.

Are you planning to go through a no-no fee solicitor or will you be chasing the info. yourself? Whatever you decide, your claim needs to be lodged before the cut-off point in September.
                  Remember the mantra:
                  NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
                  Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
                  Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

Yeah i plan to be chasing it myself, however i have to wait a bit longer before i can look in to it.

My nans current care home is closing, they have agreed to move her in to another that myself and my mother have chosen.

The fees are double what they were, but the home have agreed to accept the same amount as her previous home providing tower hamlets dont object to the move.

Tower hamlets have also agreed.

I have her social worker coming round Monday evening to discuss the change over, and i will be picking her brains about full funding then.

Im abit concerned with bringing it up before shes been relocated incase tower hamlets get a bit funny.

So i might have to dive in to the situation once shes been placed which will be anytime now.

Comment

Role of stress in dementia investigated

UK experts are to begin a study to find out if stress can trigger dementia. The investigation, funded by the Alzheimer's Society, will monitor 140 people with mild cognitive impairment or "pre-dementia" and look at how stress affects their condition. The researchers will take blood and saliva samples at six-monthly intervals over the 18 months of the study to measure biological markers of stress. They hope their work will reveal ways to prevent dementia.The results could offer clues to new treatments or better ways of managing the condition,....Read more here; BBC News - Role of stress in dementia investigated

Comment

Elderly Care and we Have this? followed by this....

Comment

Brain scan 'can sort dementia by type'

Scientists say they have found a way to distinguish between different types of dementia without the need for invasive tests, like a lumbar puncture. US experts could accurately identify Alzheimer's disease and another type of dementia from structural brain patterns on medical scans, Neurology reports. Currently, doctors can struggle to diagnose dementia, meaning the most appropriate treatment may be delayed. More invasive tests can help, but are unpleasant for the patient.

Distinguishing features
                          Despite being two distinct diseases, Alzheimer's and frontotemporal dementia, share similar clinical features and symptoms and can be hard to tell apart without medical tests.......Continue reading the main story

Comment

I'm so fearful about this, my dad was diagnosed rather young in my opinion, in his late 50's.
                            Reason being is that I follow him in lots of other hereditary conditions, and on the same meds, it's scary! Just hope this isnt going to be one of them.

Comment

Working...
                            X