GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Drugs: Elderly at Risk - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drugs: Elderly at Risk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drugs: Elderly at Risk

Di,

Thats it, thats where I read it.

Comment

Hi Guys and Girls,

There are certainly serious issues with drugs taken in isolation and in my view the whole family of anti inflammatories is suspect but as this thread is examining the interactions of combinations of this stuff, what is really going on?

One of the fundamental problems in my view is that this stuff is cheap and it is a very easy way for recalcitrant GPs (bone idle b****rs) to get rid of a patient from their surgery quickly. Its like those that prescribe antibiotics for viral infections and now we are left with little to fight serious bacterial infections.

Going back to the combinations, remember "Vioxx" wonder drug for arthritis sufferers. Known from clinical trials to be the cause of increased incidence of strokes and heart disease yet was widely prescribed in combination with other drugs giving a totally unknown resulting poison. All to fund and fuel pharmaceutical companies' greed.

regards
      Garlok

Comment

One of the fundamental problems in my view is that this stuff is cheap and it is a very easy way for recalcitrant GPs (bone idle b****rs) to get rid of a patient from their surgery quickly.
        Garlok,

That is an interesting point and one that I have touched on myself and as early as yesterday with our mum.

The GP I was with was quiet trigger happy with the issuing of drugs, two years ago I had urinery problem so went to my GP how here did no tests at all to find out a diagnosis and was quiet happy to keep me on this pills he prescribed.

I had no suspisions it was an enlarged prostate via my own research on the internet, however it has not been confirmed.

This Doctor should have done blood tests and a lower urinery tract test and if anything found sent for further tests.

So I took the decision to move doctors that was the best decision I ever took because this new practice in havant really show they care and those tests I have now had and been refered to hospital for the camera test (forget its name) because of white flood cells in urine.

I took our mum to the surgery I was with as she is still registered there because she had a fall and bashed her leg which swelled up this doctors attitude was appalling to say the least.

He said why did you come here and not go to the hospital, to which I said we where usure if it is serious enough to warrent an A&E visit and wanted your opinion as her GP.

As it was it did not need a hospital visit as nothing was broken and just need some cream to bring the bruising and swelling down.

I am in the process of moving here to the bosmere medical centre as they are brilliant and do online bookings and pricription requests also.

http://www.bosmerepractice.co.uk/

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
          Hi Guys and Girls,

There are certainly serious issues with drugs taken in isolation and in my view the whole family of anti inflammatories is suspect but as this thread is examining the interactions of combinations of this stuff, what is really going on?

One of the fundamental problems in my view is that this stuff is cheap and it is a very easy way for recalcitrant GPs (bone idle b****rs) to get rid of a patient from their surgery quickly. Its like those that prescribe antibiotics for viral infections and now we are left with little to fight serious bacterial infections.

Going back to the combinations, remember "Vioxx" wonder drug for arthritis sufferers. Known from clinical trials to be the cause of increased incidence of strokes and heart disease yet was widely prescribed in combination with other drugs giving a totally unknown resulting poison. All to fund and fuel pharmaceutical companies' greed.

regards
          Garlok
          This thread is indeed examining the interaction of certain drugs taken in combination.

Without a doubt, the latest research showing probable impaired mental capacity in the elderly by the ingestion these cocktails of drugs.

What a terrible state of affairs!

Comment

FAO Garlok:
            COX-2 Selective (includes Bextra, Celebrex, and Vioxx) and Non-Selective Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)

Comment

Thanks AC. I took the stuff for a long time in the late 90's and early noughties until they had to give me another drug to protect my digestive sytem from it. Says a lot.

Yes its a terrible state of affairs and one that our politicians should be hassled about time and time again. Clinicians in general from my own experiences and observations care little for the real welfare of their patients and the more senior they are, the less they care. More concerned with abdicating responsibility.

regards
              Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                Thanks AC. I took the stuff for a long time in the late 90's and early noughties until they had to give me another drug to protect my digestive sytem from it. Says a lot.

Yes its a terrible state of affairs and one that our politicians should be hassled about time and time again. Clinicians in general from my own experiences and observations care little for the real welfare of their patients and the more senior they are, the less they care. More concerned with abdicating responsibility.

regards
                Garlok
                The whole situation is scandalous...
                BBC NEWS | Business | Vioxx settlement to total $4.85bn

Comment

Yes AC, unfortunately the "Vioxx" or more correctly the "Cox-2" settlements were only in the USA. Our weak kneed bum polishers in the Palace of Westminster agredd with the pharmaceutical companies that it would not apply to people here. we would get nothing if we tried it on.

regards
                  Garlok

Comment

The Legal 500 > Hugh James > Cardiff, WALES > Lawyer profiles > Mark Harvey

Please, also note: Seroxat/Peroxatine, which is on the UoEA list!

Some have actually taken on the drug companies over the pond...

Comment

http://www.communitypharmacyscotland...bing_Study.pdf

Comment

Working...
                      X