GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Poundland Graduate Cait Reilly Wins Appeal - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poundland Graduate Cait Reilly Wins Appeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poundland Graduate Cait Reilly Wins Appeal

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
    If I was out of work and wanted to claim benefits and was told the only way I would get them would be to do a few hours in a charity shop, street cleaning or whatever then I'd take the offer. If I didn't like it, then it's up to me to find work that pays me a wage I'm happy with, isn't it?
    A few hours a week fair enough, but expecting people to work a full job in return is a bit much - especially if there is absolutely no gaurantees of a position afterwards (as was demonstrated last year)

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
    most didn't want to know because I have a professional qualification........... because he's alcoholic he gets £30 a week more than JSA
    I have had the "why did you apply you're over qualified" as well. As for the second part - homeless people have a dog for the same reason - they get extra money to feed it.......
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The point is she was working voluntary in a museum at the time so earning her JSA they moved her from this to work in poundland propping up a corporations profits when they could have paid her NMW

These government schemes are costing the taxpayer £5 billion and for what to get 3% into work that is not money sense.

Comment

I remember the days not so long ago when their was 15+ pages of jobs in the local press of all manner of skill now that is just 3 pages down here in the wealthy south and nearly all of those are either cleaners, carers or agency non jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
          I remember the days not so long ago when their was 15+ pages of jobs in the local press of all manner of skill now that is just 3 pages down here in the wealthy south and nearly all of those are either cleaners, carers or agency non jobs.
          I have seen a massive rise in the amount of carer work too. I can go search now, put it date order, and literally skim over the jobs as only one or two out of every ten will be non carer related.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I do agree with most comments. Like I said it is a difficult argument and my comments are not aimed at those that want to work but find themselves in a temporary position of needing help.

However, there are always going to be people that just don't want to work as life on benefits is easier for them. I am aware of families that exist that live their whole life on handouts and even brag that they have luxuries that most working families can't afford. It is those people that I feel need looking at and being put on some sort of scheme to force them to give a little back.

However, this should not be to the benefit of the large corporations that get free labour paid for by the taxpayer but more community type work.
            If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

The point is she was working voluntary in a museum at the time so earning her JSA they moved her from this to work in poundland propping up a corporations profits when they could have paid her NMW

These government schemes are costing the taxpayer £5 billion and for what to get 3% into work that is not money sense.
              I agree with you there PF.

It wasn't as if she needed a taste of the work ethic as she was already doing voluntary work and had worked as a student. Why should big companies benefit from the workfare scheme? It isn't creating jobs but taking jobs away from people who can only do NMW type jobs.

However, there are always going to be people that just don't want to work as life on benefits is easier for them. I am aware of families that exist that live their whole life on handouts and even brag that they have luxuries that most working families can't afford. It is those people that I feel need looking at and being put on some sort of scheme to force them to give a little back.
              Of course it's these people that need looking at but will this latest government initiative (an oxymoron if ever there was one!) get them into work? Will it heck as like.

I can see a big problem for me when I have to sign back on JSA at Easter. There are loads of agencies advertising teaching jobs which don't exist just to get you on their books (when there isn't enough supply work anyway) Each agency says you need to have a new enhanced CRB check which, at £40+ a time, I certainly can't afford. As I've been working through one agency since September, the other agencies that I'm still registered with will want new CRB checks too.

I was told by my JC adviser just before I got my present job that if I didn't apply for the non-existent jobs with the new agencies then I would be classed as turning down work and have my benefit stopped. It didn't matter to her that the jobs didn't actually exist or that I wouldn't be able to afford the CRB fee.
              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

My first full-time job after leaving school was in the dole office.... and they massaged figures even then. The official stats. of "unemployed" only included those in receipt of Unemployment Benefit (as it was then called) and nothing else. Today is no different; there are closer to around 8 million unemployed if you include those on Income Support and so on.... it's a huge wool pulling exercise.... as are the variety of "schemes" that have emerged over the past 30-odd years to keep people off the official stats. as much as possible.

Nowadays, kids are encouraged to go on useless courses to keep them in education yet these courses are often pointless and a waste of time. i know because I teach some of them.... Kids come out with certificates and schools/colleges get points on the league tables for results; so everyone is happy. Such a crock of sh*t....

My daughter is leaving uni. this year and I would be livid if she was offered work "experience" in Poundland, to be honest. The Government is very good at taking the p*ss out of people to cover it's own inadequacies and that's a prime example. People are not encouraged to think anymore; they're just expected to do as they're told and tow the party line, so to speak. This country's a joke....
                Last edited by PriorityOne; 24 February 2013, 11:57.
                Remember the mantra:
                NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
                Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
                Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

I agree with Oscar, its a good result

Speaking as one of those forced to do 5 weeks of slave labour when I was unemployed,
                  despite applying for 250 – 300 various jobs (1 interview and 2 no thanks replies).

Why should a company get the benefit of me working for them for free,?
                  If the work is there and they needed someone, why shouldn't I have been paid the National Minimum Wage? Or the same as the people I was working with!

I do hope that the companies that have used the people that were forced into theses slave jobs
                  are themselves forced into repaying for the forced labour.

The simple questions remains
                  If the companies needed someone to work, why didn't they employ them?
                  Who got rich?( the agency's who ran them?)

Why do governments continually manipulate the unemployment figures?

I got told a few things from when I was unemployed (and not from DWP or JC+)
                  if you did 1 weeks “employment training” you weren't classed as unemployed for that month, or if the “training” started say 27/2/13 and finished 6/3/13, guess what,
                  you're off the unemployment list for 2 months,
                  unless you signed to go onto the training course in January, then its 3 months.

When I was sent to one of these employment trianing companies,
                  if I did manage to get a job
                  they would give me £50
                  My tutor( thats a joke in itself) would get £500
                  The employment training company would get £15.000

Why didn't the government just give me the £15,000 to start my own buisnesss?
                  I may be in a postion by now to be able to take on someone, and not pay them anything
                  but still get the job done!

I do agree the Benefit system needs a really good overhaul,

but maybe start doing it from top downwards?
                  It's taken years of hard work to earn the capital N in Numpty

Comment

I do agree with most comments. Like I said it is a difficult argument and my comments are not aimed at those that want to work but find themselves in a temporary position of needing help.

However, this should not be to the benefit of the large corporations that get free labour paid for by the taxpayer but more community type work.
                    That is true but how do you tackle it without penalising the wrong ones because that is what is happening now it is tricky and those that have never worked and should work are artists at evading the authorities even how I still see the ones that should be working not doing so.

Comment

I agree with you there PF.

It wasn't as if she needed a taste of the work ethic as she was already doing voluntary work and had worked as a student. Why should big companies benefit from the workfare scheme? It isn't creating jobs but taking jobs away from people who can only do NMW type jobs.

Of course it's these people that need looking at but will this latest government initiative (an oxymoron if ever there was one!) get them into work? Will it heck as like.

I can see a big problem for me when I have to sign back on JSA at Easter. There are loads of agencies advertising teaching jobs which don't exist just to get you on their books (when there isn't enough supply work anyway) Each agency says you need to have a new enhanced CRB check which, at £40+ a time, I certainly can't afford. As I've been working through one agency since September, the other agencies that I'm still registered with will want new CRB checks too.

I was told by my JC adviser just before I got my present job that if I didn't apply for the non-existent jobs with the new agencies then I would be classed as turning down work and have my benefit stopped. It didn't matter to her that the jobs didn't actually exist or that I wouldn't be able to afford the CRB fee.
                      Pixie the crb checks have changed now and it is a DBS Check that is transferable http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencie...1/portability/

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty Monkey View Post
                        I agree with Oscar, its a good result

Speaking as one of those forced to do 5 weeks of slave labour when I was unemployed,
                        despite applying for 250 – 300 various jobs (1 interview and 2 no thanks replies).

Why should a company get the benefit of me working for them for free,?
                        If the work is there and they needed someone, why shouldn't I have been paid the National Minimum Wage? Or the same as the people I was working with!

I do hope that the companies that have used the people that were forced into theses slave jobs
                        are themselves forced into repaying for the forced labour.

The simple questions remains
                        If the companies needed someone to work, why didn't they employ them?
                        Who got rich?( the agency's who ran them?)

Why do governments continually manipulate the unemployment figures?

I got told a few things from when I was unemployed (and not from DWP or JC+)
                        if you did 1 weeks “employment training” you weren't classed as unemployed for that month, or if the “training” started say 27/2/13 and finished 6/3/13, guess what,
                        you're off the unemployment list for 2 months,
                        unless you signed to go onto the training course in January, then its 3 months.

When I was sent to one of these employment trianing companies,
                        if I did manage to get a job
                        they would give me £50
                        My tutor( thats a joke in itself) would get £500
                        The employment training company would get £15.000

Why didn't the government just give me the £15,000 to start my own buisnesss?
                        I may be in a postion by now to be able to take on someone, and not pay them anything
                        but still get the job done!

I do agree the Benefit system needs a really good overhaul,

but maybe start doing it from top downwards?
                        Personally I am not a great lover of the NMW because it does nothing to encourage people into work makes it hard to gain a pay rise because the employers know they are safe if they stick to the government law on NMW and does nothing for staff morale.

I am a believer in the living wage because not only is it a fair days wage for a fair days work it also will cut the dependency on in work welfare tow in the massive profits these corporations make create a happier work force which in turn increases productivity which increases job numbers and thus less unemployed.

Comment

Personally I am not a great lover of the NMW because it does nothing to encourage people into work makes it hard to gain a pay rise because the employers know they are safe if they stick to the government law on NMW and does nothing for staff morale.

I am a believer in the living wage because not only is it a fair days wage for a fair days work it also will cut the dependency on in work welfare tow in the massive profits these corporations make create a happier work force which in turn increases productivity which increases job numbers and thus less unemployed.
                          Fully agree with you there agin PF. I really dont see the point in having a rock bottom minimum wage and then having to top it up with all sorts of "tax credits". Far better in increase the NMW to a point where are actually able to live. (and in some relative comfort rather than hand to mouth)

Comment

Pixie the crb checks have changed now and it is a DBS Check that is transferable http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencie...1/portability/
                            Portability has been around for a while but I only had one agency out of the five I was registered with that would agree to accept a previous enhanced CRB certificate (even though I don't have any sort of a criminal record). The Home Office website says
                            Ultimately it is for the employer to determine whether to accept previously-issued CRB/DBS checks.

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                            Fully agree with you there agin PF. I really dont see the point in having a rock bottom minimum wage and then having to top it up with all sorts of "tax credits". Far better in increase the NMW to a point where are actually able to live. (and in some relative comfort rather than hand to mouth)
                            Agree with both of you. People should be paid a proper living wage.

I don't like tax credits as they leave the claimants vulnerable to being overpaid (even if they inform the tax credits office) and they end up the following year having even less to live on.
                            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post

Portability has been around for a while but I only had one agency out of the five I was registered with that would agree to accept a previous enhanced CRB certificate (even though I don't have any sort of a criminal record). The Home Office website says

Agree with both of you. People should be paid a proper living wage.

I don't like tax credits as they leave the claimants vulnerable to being overpaid (even if they inform the tax credits office) and they end up the following year having even less to live on.
                              I'm with you all the way about the NMW, It's better than no minimum at at all ,
                              I would prefer a a national living wage,
                              there we go, we've just got rid of yet another layer of red tape, a saving on the benefit burdon, a reduction of the national debt,
                              an increase in income tax, VAT income, and spending, the sort of thing that gets the economy moving

argh shit .....the ultra rich might not like it,,,,so that won't happen
                              It's taken years of hard work to earn the capital N in Numpty

Comment

Working...
                              X