GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Barclaycard & Right of Set Off - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barclaycard & Right of Set Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Barclaycard & Right of Set Off

I agree with Niddy & Josie that I have won the main war. However I fired off a load of correspondence to OFT regarding Barclaycard using a right of set off that they did not have, as an illegal method of debt collection.
    Reply from OFT basically states that they do not have the authority to intervene in individual disputes. Then, We would be happy to receive any further information which you consider we should be aware of in relation to your complaint.
    Please note that there are a number of legal constraints imposed on us by Part 9 of the Enterprise Act 2002 which prevent us from being able to confirm whether or not we are taking action in relation to a complaint or in any particular case. However, the OFT routinely publishes information about the exercise of its functions on its website http://www.oft.gov.uk having properly taken into account the public interest in doing so and any likely prejudice to its functions.
    Over the years I have written to OFT about various disputes, they always acknowledge my letters, but have never previously mentioned Part 9 of The Enterprise Act. Perhaps they will look into this now.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
      I agree with Niddy & Josie that I have won the main war. However I fired off a load of correspondence to OFT regarding Barclaycard using a right of set off that they did not have, as an illegal method of debt collection.
      Reply from OFT basically states that they do not have the authority to intervene in individual disputes. Then, We would be happy to receive any further information which you consider we should be aware of in relation to your complaint.
      Please note that there are a number of legal constraints imposed on us by Part 9 of the Enterprise Act 2002 which prevent us from being able to confirm whether or not we are taking action in relation to a complaint or in any particular case. However, the OFT routinely publishes information about the exercise of its functions on its website http://www.oft.gov.uk having properly taken into account the public interest in doing so and any likely prejudice to its functions.
      Over the years I have written to OFT about various disputes, they always acknowledge my letters, but have never previously mentioned Part 9 of The Enterprise Act. Perhaps they will look into this now.
      What the OFT mean is they record ALL complaints but cannot really get into it with you as a consumer. If they get loads of complaints they'll look into it. If not they retain it and investigate as and when they can then keep it on record.

I get away with it as I hide behind AAD and they usually chat away freely with us. That said we NEVER get told the result.

Moving forwards, in your case I'd go to FCA -> http://www.fca.org.uk

Those buggers are vicious and doing what the FSA, FOS & OFT have struggled to succeed in over the years - they're making lenders running-scared.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for your reply Niddy. Received an email 8.36 am this morning from OFT.

Thank you for your email and I apologise for the delay in responding.

We have noted that Powys Trading Standards retains the documentation relating to your complaint which they will be in a position to forward to us if they consider appropriate. As stated in our email of 9 October 2013 the OFT is unable to intervene in individual disputes between consumers and businesses, so I hope that you will understand that we are unable to assist you directly.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

I have forwarded the email to Trading Standards.

Comment

FCA buddy. That's the way forward here
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks, will sort a load of info for them at weekend.

Comment

Judging by the letter sent from OFT to the Banks, written by Mario Theodosiou, who is employed by FCA's Enforcement & Financial Crime Division on secondment to OFT. Looks like they are onto the Banks neglect over CCA 1974. Will be interesting to see how Barclays reply. Especially since I sent OFT copies of letters from Gemma Anderton Executive Office Barclaycard, refusing to comply with my requests under CCA 1974.
              Attached Files

Comment

Had an email today from trading standards today, they feel that I should go back to FOS with my complaint.
                So. The FOS ruled that Barclaycard had failed to satisfy my S78 request. We all know that this means the account is unenforceable in law, and was since September 2011 when Barclaycard insist, that, although I never requested it, they treated my letters as a request under S78. I have since written to Barclaycard asking for a refund of the money that they had taken under their so called "legal" right of set off, and further charges for using my personal reserve account. They have not replied as they had previously written to say that they would no longer correspond with me. This means, that after 8 weeks, I can refer my complaint to the FOS. I will be within the six month period, as the FOS ruling took effect on 4th October. I do feel that a new complaint would be in order.
                Any suggestions on how I should draft this "new" complaint?

Comment

If a bank states it will no longer correspond then that's it. They'll not be able to pursue you and as you say it's UE.

What do you think the FOS can/will do? The bank won't pay back RoSo monies & unless you have NEW evidence they won't change their minds. The fact the almost defunct OFT says go back matters little. It's process sadly.

There has to be a time that you say fine, they stole from me and I've done it back so we're quits.

Comment

You are right once again, but this time I am more than quits. Watch out Barclays Advance.

Comment

Believe that this is finished with. I won!

Comment

I concur. Took you bloody long enough to accept it mate but you did indeed win.

Game over. Enforcer enforced Barclays

Comment

Thought that this was all over. "Alleged" debt sold to MKDP. Lots of letters from different parts of this company, however, as FOS ruled no CCA this is unenforceable.
                          Have switched to Co-op on 7 day transfer but Barclays account was £43.13 overdrawn. Despite my best efforts, every time I paid money in to clear it, it disappeared and left me £43.13 od. Wrote to Barclays and had a call to say it was now sorted and account is now £43.13 in credit. Barclays Customer Transfer account Statement arrived today, dated 03 Oct.
                          Start balance £43.13
                          Money out. Cass Chg Credit TF Barclaycard Notha £43.13
                          Money in. Received ref Barclaycard Northa £43.13
                          End balance £43.13
                          So Barclaycard have taken the balance, then returned it. Why? and how can they do this when "alleged debt" has been sold?

Comment

Working...
                          X