GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script RBS PPi Refund Offset against Existing Debts - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RBS PPi Refund Offset against Existing Debts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RBS PPi Refund Offset against Existing Debts

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
    Hi Please can someone help, I see from this thread -> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...omeone-help-me you have had a similar problem, I have recently claimed PPI back from Nat-west, it was upheld and payment was due to be paid to me, I received a text yesterday saying it had been paid into my current account, it hadn't. After several calls to the PPI team and a visit to the local branch it seems they have paid it against a debt I supposedly owe of over £2000. account was closed on their system on 15.01.2009, I paid the account off in full in 2007 and have never used it since. they say I owe this money but can not tell me why. I have discussed with the adviser in branch and with them by phone that I do not owe anything and I would like some kind of proof of this supposed debt, they cant supply as they don't hold records of closed accounts?? yet they can tell me I owe them money. I pointed out that they have made no effort to contact me, I am on the electoral roll and have been at my current address since 2008. they have made no application for a CCJ or indeed added anything to my completely clear credit report. even by their dates it makes it older than 6 years is that not statute barred anyway, regardless of whether I owe anything or not?? I have made a formal complaint, they explained it may just be an error and they will get back to me within 5 working days ( not holding my breath) the adviser actually agreed older than 6 years was unenforceable whether I owe or not and its probably a mistake. they also agreed I had not used the account since 2007 and that i may have mistakenly thought it was closed, he mention interest accruing which makes me think I may be in the same coat as Cookie was. I do not know what to do for the best, they have £750 of my PPI money and are now saying I owe then nearly £1400 too. please help.

Thanks Billy

*** ADMIN EDIT TO SPLIT THREAD INTO ITS OWN THREAD WITH LINK TO ORIGINAL THREAD REGARDS NATWEST ***
    Hi, as you'll see I have now split your posts into their own thread - also, having read your opening post can you please clarify the following:

1. Was this an RBS or Natwest PPi account
    2. What type of account was the PPi missold on (bank / ctredit card / loan)
    3. What type of account are they saying you are in arrears with (bank account / credit card / loan?)
    4. Was the original account with PPi a sole or joint account?
    5. Was the account they claim you are in arrears to, a sole or joint account?
    6. How much was the PPi refund?
    7. Were you paid any of it?
    8. Have you ever sent a SAR to RBS, if so - when and what response have you had?

------------------------------------------------------

The thing to remember is that if you had a sole account with Natwest and paid that off but had a second sole account with Natwest which was in arrears, any repayment of PPi should only be repaid to the source account unless Right of SetOff (RoSO) dictates differently - it appears that Natwest are saying to you that you owe funds on an old bank account and thus the PPi was refunded into that - regardless if it was already Statute Barred - they can do it if the PPi was from the source account or if RoSO supersedes.

The FOS don't always adhere to RoSO in favour of banks especially if the source account was joint (so any ppi refund muct be due to you both) yet the arrears account was sole, for instance.

Please answer the questions above and from that I will then tell you right legal rights with regards to the FOS.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for setting up separate thread Niddy. In answer to your questions:
      1: Nat west Account
      2: bank loan and overdraft 2 separate complaints both upheld
      3: Bank account, advantage gold, although they cant give me any details at all on it.
      4:Sole account
      5:Sole Account
      6: 2 separate amounts one £650 ish and the other £190 ish all in all nearly £850.00
      7:None paid at all, they say I owe over £2000
      8:No SAR yet although probably only option now if they don't uphold this complaint

Hope this helps, let me know if you need to know anything more.

Thanks

Comment

Hiya - I would spend a few moments reading this complaint case study that the FOS did uphold, it is similar to yours other than the accounts were joint - in theory that will answer any further questions you may have because the FOS have clearly explained the unique circumstances of why they decided that RoSO did not apply - if yours fits a similar situation then it is worth pursuing. If not then it isn't as the FOS won't find in your favour - especially as Natwest do utilise RoSO.

--> http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.u...px?FileID=5623

Questions? Ask away
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

7:None paid at all, they say I owe over £2000
          Can you please tell me on what they base that?

Loan Debt = ???
          Bank Account Debt = ???

That will help determine if their usage of RoSO is lawful or not.

For example, if the debt to the loan was £50 but there was a £650 refund of PPi then you should get £600 as per the FOS ruling. They shouldn't be using that £600 to a third party account not relevant to the original source account. Make sense?

Comment

Hi Niddy, I have no idea, they don't seem to know either, only info they gave me was the advantage gold account had arrears of £350 ish. which it did not to my knowledge, they cant tell me how they got to to 2k figure or give me any breakdown of the debt. this has been the basis of my complaint, how can they deduct money from a debt I know nothing of and they can not give me any details of. and why have they not tried to get me to pay for this supposed debt in the last 8 years. They mentioned the account had sat idle for a couple of years and there may be some interest charges etc.... nothing was confirmed, Im hoping when they deal with my complaint this will all become clear. As far as I can tell it is the same account I have claimed from although some of it was from an Overdraft and some was from a loan so they cant both be of the same account, I think I consolidated the overdraft into the loan though so this may be how they think they can do it I suppose. My argument is not that I owe them money though. I do not owe anything to them. from my point of view account was closed in 2007 when my grandfather gave me the money to pay off all my debt, which I did. I then moved to a new bank and had no further dealing with Nat west at all until now. Case study seems to show people who knew they had a debt. I did not. What a mess they made me sick all those years back and i'm back in that same place now...

Comment

You should send an Advanced SAR (join AAD+ for details).

Comment

I will join up Niddy. Cash is a problem this week though. Paid on Friday so i'll do it then. Thanks for all of your help so far.

Comment

Any update? Did you send Advanced SAR

Comment

Sorry guys, had a bad couple of weeks with stuff at home,I haven't done anything else yet. I got a response to the complaint by letter, dated 16th of July and tells me they are looking into my complaint and they have 4 weeks. What exactly is an advanced SAR? i know what a standard SAR is not sure what you mean by advanced??

Comment

Sorry guys, had a bad couple of weeks with stuff at home,I haven't done anything else yet. I got a response to the complaint by letter, dated 16th of July and tells me they are looking into my complaint and they have 4 weeks. What exactly is an advanced SAR? i know what a standard SAR is not sure what you mean by advanced??
                      advanced asks for shit loads more info

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        advanced asks for shit loads more info
                        did you send the Advanced SAR request????
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                        X