GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Dumb uni student now with a Cifas marker please help - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb uni student now with a Cifas marker please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb uni student now with a Cifas marker please help

Hi everyone,

I find myself in a similar situation as many others on this forum regarding a cifas marker, and would like to ask for any advice if you have it. A few months ago, a famous uk instagram ‘meme’ page posted on their story if there was anyone 18+ looking for work that would bring in £3000 a month. I was out of regular work at the time and thought it would be a good idea to dm them and say yes, it being a good chance to work with a famous instagram page and make some money on the side. He replied and said he knew a trader who was looking for more people to work with, and sent her my way.

She has a instagram following of 135k and her bio said “5 years experienced forex trader” (I can show proof of this) so I thought that someone with a following that big must be legit. She dm me and told me how she was looking for more people to join her team and I said yeah sure cause I was always interested in trading. I asked her if it was illegal with any risk and she assured me it was not and she was an experienced trader. She said she needed my binance account details so she could setup trades for me (I have since not got access back to my account yet). Then she told me she made some profits from trading and I should open a barclays bank account to deposit the profits.

I thought I was doing great, making easy trading profits without doing any work so I agreed. I opened the barclays bank account and gave her the details so she could deposit the money into it. She then logged me out of barclays and I couldn’t see what she was doing on the account for about a month maybe (I was out of the country on holiday at the time). During this time I called the number she gave me numerous times through whatsapp, dm her on instagram, emailed her, trying to get any type of response. Around this point is when I realised there might have been something fishy going on so I started looking at her followings and noticed that she followed/and was followed by some other top uk meme pages, and all the other people she was following was following at least one of these meme pages. This led me to the idea that she was using the meme pages to recruit people for whatever it was she was doing (in the way that I was ‘recruited’). A week or so later I got a text message from Barclays saying that my account had been frozen and soon after that they closed my account.

The instagram trader still did not reply to me. After doing more reading as I was curious/worried about what she had done, I began to suspect she used it for money laundering. I requested a data request from Cifas and have found that I’ve been given a misuse of facility marker by Barclays. I’m now very very worried, I’m just going into my second year of uni and am fearful that my main nationwide student bank (who I’ve been banking with for years with no problem) might close my account now due to the marker, leaving me with no student overdraft or place to send my student loan.

None of the other banks I am with; Monzo, monese, chase, firstdirect have closed anything yet but I’m worried they soon might as I only got a reply from Cifas about the marker a few days ago. I’m thinking about going into my local Barclays bank and explaining the situation. There’s lots of evidence on the insta traders page, so I’m hoping I can help them take action against her and her network and hopefully remove the cifas marker from me too. I received not a single penny from this ‘misuse of facility’, and had no idea what she was doing to my account at the time, and am desperate to put it right. What advice can you give me?

Thanks

M
    Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 19 September 2022, 06:18. Reason: Paragraphing

webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk send message to him and reference this posting.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sorry - I have to ask. Why does a first year uni student have so many bank accounts?

Comment

Opened most of those for like signing up bonuses and just kept them, made like a hundred pounds from it.

Comment

I’ve emailed and PM him but haven’t got any reply yet, guessing he’s away or something

Comment

he will soon nothing immediate calm down.; we are volunteers and do have other commitments
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yeah ofc I understand that, thank you for your time so far

Comment

Originally posted by dumbunikid123 View Post
                Yeah ofc I understand that, thank you for your time so far
                You are welcome

Comment

Working...
                X