GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Grieving families face shock tax bills due to 'ridiculous' death benefit rules - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grieving families face shock tax bills due to 'ridiculous' death benefit rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grieving families face shock tax bills due to 'ridiculous' death benefit rules

Grieving families face shock tax bills due to 'ridiculous' death benefit rules

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on: 20th May 2017 18:16
    ...when losing loved ones, experts warn

• Widow, 59, paid an extra £50k after she was caught unawares
    • Death benefits from employers can be generous and worth four times salary
    • But some payouts count towards the £1million pension lifetime allowance limit - triggering hefty tax bills
    • Other payouts escape tax net just because of how employers administer system
    • Ex-pensions minister Steve Webb calls for overhaul of 'ridiculous' rules
    • Financial adviser says families where someone is unfortunate enough to die prematurely should not be penalised

'Ridiculous' death benefit rules that can leave bereaved families facing shock tax bills should be overhauled by the Government, says ex-pensions minister Steve Webb. Grieving families can be caught unawares by heavy tax penalties, as in the case of a 59-year-old widow who wishes only to be known as Mrs B, who had to pay an extra £50,000 after her husband died last year aged 51. Death in service payouts from employers can be generous with sums worth four times annual salary common, according to Webb, who is now policy director at Royal London. But at present, some payouts count towards the £1million pension lifetime allowance limit, potentially landing families with hefty tax bills, while others escape the net depending on how the system is administered in different workplaces. When payouts do count, they can send pension pots that were previously well short of the lifetime pension limit over the top and make them liable for extra tax.

Read more here

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.
Working...
X