GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Richard III dig: DNA confirms bones are the King's - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Richard III dig: DNA confirms bones are the King's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Richard III dig: DNA confirms bones are the King's

Ricky was a bit of a one apparently and had had lots of kids out of wedlock, unusually all well documented, I wonder if it is a descendant of one of these ?

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
      Really weird about the "R" being on the car park where he was buried.

I wonder who the other relative,(DNA donor) was that does not want publicity ?
      They interviewed him on the news, cant remember his name though.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
        They interviewed him on the news, cant remember his name though.
        Yes that was one of the two descendants they traced I believe, the other prefers to remain anonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
          I wonder who the other relative,(DNA donor) was that does not want publicity ?
          He probably fears that the House of Tudor will try to kill him.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
            I absolutely devoured "Wolf Hall".
            Cooked?

Comment

think the next "one where the bodies are" is even better, fascinating

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                Are there any Tudors left? And, if so, why are they not on the throne?

Cooked?
                No, just the raw material

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
                think the next "one where the bodies are" is even better, fascinating
                That's certainly what the reviews are saying. But am waiting for the paperback version - mainly because I find hardbacks too heavy and unwieldy. m
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Many of the bastard offspring married back into the aristocracy apparently, so i wouldn't mind betting that one or two lords/ladies will be related albeit on the wrong side of the bedclothes.

Comment

House of Tudor = remember on leave and the Tudor Inn (Berni Inn) the building held the Bloody Assizes by Judge Jeffries, and up the road a hill they hanged the peasants, I was born at the bottom of the hill, yet they did reckon a ghost comes out of the upper floor wall/picture after midnight sometimes, so the building was closed quickly end of the night. see the building (Victorian) boarded up for years, last time I passed thru.
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

This is the way I see that they did did the DNA thing.
                      Apparently there is a strain of identifiable DNA that is passed only down the female side of the family, and one that is spread only down the male side.

Tracing the male side is problematic, in that many people have fathers who are not really there biological forbears if you get my drift.

Because of the mechanics involved it is usually pretty sure that the mother and daughter actually are who they say they are, so it is better to go down the female line.
                      This is why they chose to chose to trace Richards sister and her female descendants. Luckily all the female line is well documented.

Richard and his sisters DNA would be identical because they were siblings.

In order to triangulate their results and double check they traced two lines from Ann of York taking different paths through the ancestry.

They then compared the two descendants DNA and if they matched it proves that there had been no interruption or error in the records on either side.

They matched.

All they had to do was then check that both these samples matched the skeleton and they did so bingo.
                      Last edited by gravytrain; 8 February 2013, 15:20.

Comment

I don't understand why the clergy in York don't want the remains to be buried there.

Apart from anything else, on a commercial level, there would be lots of people who would want to visit the burial place, thus swelling the church's coffers.

Comment

Working...
                        X