GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Charging Order on an Unenforceable Debt?? Help/advice required. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charging Order on an Unenforceable Debt?? Help/advice required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Charging Order on an Unenforceable Debt?? Help/advice required.

You would most likely receive a restriction instead of a charge, they are in theory the same thing but a restriction is for a joint debt on a sole mortgage, or a sole debt with a joint mortgage (ie other interested parties to the mortgage not liable for the debt in question) whereas a Charging a Order is for a joint debt on a sole mortgage or a sole debt on a sole mortgage (ie no other interested parties on the mortgage (ie partner))......
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi NID,

Is it true that a restriction is slightly better than a Charging Order?
      The court papers state just my sole name for the case hearing, even though it's a joint council tax bill. The letter from the council says it's a court hearing to get a Charging Order made final. If it is definitely a Charging Order, is it worth making a written request to the Judge that it be switched to a 'restriction' seeing as it's a joint liability debt in two names (but it's only my name on the mortgage/property) and the other joint liable person takes responsibility for his share of the bill?

Comment

We're having a huge discussion about that very issue - I'll try and link you BRB

Edit - http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...th-Restriction

if you cannot view that section you need to go to your user control panel and request legal section access but first you need to send me something with your name and address to verify you, ideally one of the letters you mention in this thread such as the claim form or the most recent letter you've received - (send to - webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk). Upon sight of ID I'll authorise the mods to grant access so you can see and get involved in the discussion we've been having (very interesting).....
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by snickers View Post
          Hi NID,

When I contacted the DCA about the Charging Order and their lack of CCA, they responded saying they'd be prepared to accept a reduced settlement sum of £1300 if I paid by the end of January 2014. I can't raise that amount of money in one month, so can't accept their offer sadly. Do you think it's worth getting a solicitor to send them a one-off letter with a settlement offer of £1300 payable by instalments in return for setting aside the Charging Order and halting interest? Or is it likely they just say no because they have 3K secured against my home and will only want lump sum of some kind?
          You may as well make them a counter offer of what you can afford over the period that you can raise it. You never know they might go for it and in the long run it looks like it going to save you some money too. They might be willing to spread it over 3 or 4 months but if you want to sell you don't want to spread it to far as its better to have all sorted out before a sale so it doesn't hold things up.

Comment

Just sticking my nose in here as am curious... if She tells them she is selling wont they just reply with "Well get lost then as we stand to get the whole £3k when you do?"

or am I not understanding what a CO is?

(I'm learning so much on here!)

Comment

That's what I presume will occur as well...... ie they'll say get lost because they have judgment secured for the whole debt. Point is, usually when you offer a F&F they might accept something, but certainly rare to see this occur with monthly instalments as there is no incentive.

Your grasp on this was spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by patchouli View Post
                if She tells them she is selling wont they just reply with "Well get lost then as we stand to get the whole £3k when you do?"
                But then again if she doesn't tell them she's selling her house they may be happy to take the money and run rather than wait 20 years for their moolah Most DCAs get paid commission on any money they recover and nothing when they don't so that's an incentive to do a deal. The only problem here is the OP has already contacted the solicitor about the charging order and may have let slip she's selling

Comment

Working...
                X