GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script SB Question - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SB Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SB Question

Hi Fred

As a Bassett you should be thinking of letting old dogs lie

If you've got to the Nirvana of having all your debts SB then rather than focusing on what you may be able to reclaim personally I'd be considering the balances that you have got to SB which I'd suggest are going to be a fair bit more than what you may be able to claim on PPI.

Just me - but I'd not be poking a stick back into the hornets nest. You've got to a position that most AAD'ers cannot wait for and I'd go now and enjoy life even more knowing that theres nothing they can do to interfere with your life again.

And congratulations BTW on reaching the SB finish line!!

Best
    SnV
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
      Hi Fred

When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
        Hi Fred

If you've got to the Nirvana of having all your debts SB then rather than focusing on what you may be able to reclaim personally I'd be considering the balances that you have got to SB which I'd suggest are going to be a fair bit more than what you may be able to claim on PPI.

Just me - but I'd not be poking a stick back into the hornets nest. You've got to a position that most AAD'ers cannot wait for and I'd go now and enjoy life even more knowing that theres nothing they can do to interfere with your life again.

And congratulations BTW on reaching the SB finish line!!

Best
        SnV
        Thanks. I'm not quite there yet, but Halifax/1st Credit, Lloyds/1st Credit and BoS Preference account all seem to have given up and MBNA/Arrow Global have admitted they have no agreement. So come the 1st January I reckon I'll be in the clear apart from any bottom feeders that come chancing their arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bassett View Post
          Thanks Vint. It looks as if by January 1st I will be able to breathe easily and that all makes sense. I can see on my credit file that the one account still remaining on there shows a decrease in the amount I owed in December 2007, that in January 2008 the amount was the same and from there onwards it went up as they added interest.

Regards.

Fred
          Looks good Fred

Comment

Now then, as far as I am concerned, all of my accounts are now statute barred. All of them have been removed from my credit report with the exception of the Arrow Global. Now here's the snag - MBNA defaulted the account in August 2008 and the note on my credit file states that this will be removed from the account it August 2014. I've now written to the CRAs stating that I have not made a payment on the account nor acknowledged it for 6 years and that they should now remove this entry, but I'm a bit worried about this "default" entry (ironically, I'm pretty sure it was an invalid DN as well).

Up until now, I've been quite happy for Arrow Global to think that they still had 8 months in which to try and get me to cough up, but I don't care now - I just want this removed from my credit report as it's the only sticking point.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bassett View Post
              MBNA defaulted the account in August 2008 and the note on my credit file states that this will be removed from the account it August 2014. I've now written to the CRAs stating that I have not made a payment on the account nor acknowledged it for 6 years and that they should now remove this entry, but I'm a bit worried about this "default" entry (ironically, I'm pretty sure it was an invalid DN as well).

Up until now, I've been quite happy for Arrow Global to think that they still had 8 months in which to try and get me to cough up, but I don't care now - I just want this removed from my credit report as it's the only sticking point.
              Why do you want the Default removed from your credit file and what's the "sticking point" or what's the hurry? Are you planning to apply for credit in the next eight months? Are you 100% certain that this debt is SB? Do you really want the anguish of going to court to prove you're right (if you're right)?

A Default remains on your credit file for six years from the day it was registered. This has nothing to do with whether it's SB or not so I doubt you'll get a positive response from the CRAs. But you may get a letter from Arrow since the CRAs will probably refer your query to them.

Comment

I'm starting a new job soon in which I will have to travel abroad occasionally. I will need a company credit card when that happens and at the moment I won't get one because of this. It will make life a little awkward for me. It's not just that, but I'm pretty sure I can get a better mortgage deal than the one I've got, but that too will need me to have a clean credit record. I'm certainly not looking to get credit.

Does this mean then that the account itself will remain on my credit record? I thought that once it became statute barred it would have to be removed. I am 100% certain that this is now Statute barred.

Regards.

Fred

Comment

There is nothing in law that says a default for a statute barred debt must be removed. The legal status of the debt under limitation is completely separate from registration of defaults with the CRAs.

A large number or even majority of SB debts do not appear on credit reports purely due to timing. i.e. in most cases a default will have been registered around the start time of the limitation period, so they tend to be dropping off somewhere around the end of that..

However in some cases a default won't be registered until many months after the last acknowledgement/payment or accrual of cause of action, so that there will be a corresponding lag of many months after the debt becomes statute barred before defaults drop off.

Comment

Thanks Riz. This is the bit that I don't understand. It appears as if the default can appear, but not the account. Is my understanding of this correct?

Comment

One other thing - would it make a difference if the default notice was faulty to start with?. I don't have it to hand, but I'm pretty certain that this was the case.

Comment

No forget the default mate. One solitary 5yr default will not stop you getting credit. You'll be fine.

Forget et about it now and move on. The dodgy default stops them enforcing the debt at court. That's all. The CRA is a recording tool only (used by lenders).
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Niddy, can creditors /dca keep defaulting accounts say yearly or is it only once they can default ?

Comment

They can issue as many default notices as they want, but the actual default can only be issued once.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                              No forget the default mate. One solitary 5yr default will not stop you getting credit. You'll be fine.

Forget et about it now and move on. The dodgy default stops them enforcing the debt at court. That's all. The CRA is a recording tool only (used by lenders).
                              Thanks Niddy. Problem is, my credit score is not good because of this one entry and I'd really like to get rid of it. Looks like I will have to wait until August. Not the end of the world, but a bit of a nuisance.

At least I know now that all of my outstanding accounts are statute barred. Most of them haven't appeared on my credit record for ages. I've no doubt that somewhen soon I will be plagued by some scumbags who have bought these accounts, but I'll worry about that when it happens.

Regards.

Fred

Comment

No mate that default won't affect your score. Trust me.
                                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X