GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Newbie Needs Advice On How To Reply To OPUS Debt Limited - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Needs Advice On How To Reply To OPUS Debt Limited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I just confirm that it's OPOS Ltd. chasing you, rather than OPUS?

Comment

Originally posted by Night Monkey View Post
      Can I just confirm that it's OPOS Ltd. chasing you, rather than OPUS?
      Hi Night Monkey,

Apologies, my mistake - it is OPOS Limited.

Many Thanks!

Comment

Hi

Others have already made useful comments, but you asked specifically where I thought your letter was incorrect.

It's a long time since I actually looked at Credit Card T&Cs, as my debts have been SB for 4 years now. But as I recall, they specifically allow the bank to pass management of the account to third party agents, and of course they all routinely pass uncollectable debts to DCAs to recover on their behalf, and ultimately sell them on to debt purchasers, without seeking agreement of the debtor. None of this has ever been raised as being outside of their rights.

Also I think your reference to Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 is also incorrect as it is not applicable. I am not a legal expert in this, but if I am right then your inclusion of such matters in your letter simply reveals your lack of understanding of the situation, which could encourage them further.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Waving View Post
          Hi

Others have already made useful comments, but you asked specifically where I thought your letter was incorrect.

It's a long time since I actually looked at Credit Card T&Cs, as my debts have been SB for 4 years now. But as I recall, they specifically allow the bank to pass management of the account to third party agents, and of course they all routinely pass uncollectable debts to DCAs to recover on their behalf, and ultimately sell them on to debt purchasers, without seeking agreement of the debtor. None of this has ever been raised as being outside of their rights.

Also I think your reference to Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 is also incorrect as it is not applicable. I am not a legal expert in this, but if I am right then your inclusion of such matters in your letter simply reveals your lack of understanding of the situation, which could encourage them further.
          agree with you understanding misconception, times change and regulation
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Can I suggest that we put some plain old common sense perspective on this.
            The alleged debts they refer too, you believe to be circa 8-9 years ago, to which you have no recollection of making any payments or communications in that period. At no time in this period have you reason to believe that a CCJ has been applied to you.
            so what are you concerned about?

let’s say I lent you some money 8 years ago and decided to do nothing until today, what would you say to me? Would you pay me? So what do you think a court is likely to do, bearing in mind there is the Statute of limitations law that says the debt isn’t collectible after 6 years through legal law? The best I could do would be to harass you, put fear into you hoping that you would cough up the money, see a pattern of resemblance here?

so my advice is go have a drink of your choosing and relax, carry on with your life. Report back here with any further updates where you will be advised and guided as to the best way to respond if the need arises.
            The general object is to get to statute barred and seeing as you are already there then you are best placed to win from the off.
            now these leeches will do all they can in their power to attach themselves to your life, but as with a leech there are ways and means to make them curl up and die so rest assured this is only a moment in your life not your life. You have the law on your side.

so for now do nothing!

Comment

Hi All,

Thank you everyone most sincerely for all your help - you all gave me focus & direction. I sent off both the Statute Barred & Harassment Letters separately today via Recorded Mail so I guess I will just now have to wait to see what transpires.

Ironically, today, twice I got a voicemail message from an unrecognised number & upon checking the voicemail to determine who was calling & why, I heard a message stating something along the lines of "to stay on the line & the call will be transferred to an agent to discuss the account & that I would not be charged for the call". I hung up at that point.

I had no idea that retrieving ones voicemail could allow another party to then automatically open a line to them - that is scary to say the least as Voicemail should be private & secure. I use an Apple iPhone & am astonished that Apple would allow this considering how much they claim that privacy is so paramount to them.

Does anyone know a procedure/process to stop this kind of intrusion on ones phone?

I will keep you all updated & once again, sincere thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Teer View Post
                Hi All,

Thank you everyone most sincerely for all your help - you all gave me focus & direction. I sent off both the Statute Barred & Harassment Letters separately today via Recorded Mail so I guess I will just now have to wait to see what transpires.

Ironically, today, twice I got a voicemail message from an unrecognised number & upon checking the voicemail to determine who was calling & why, I heard a message stating something along the lines of "to stay on the line & the call will be transferred to an agent to discuss the account & that I would not be charged for the call". I hung up at that point.

I had no idea that retrieving ones voicemail could allow another party to then automatically open a line to them - that is scary to say the least as Voicemail should be private & secure. I use an Apple iPhone & am astonished that Apple would allow this considering how much they claim that privacy is so paramount to them.

Does anyone know a procedure/process to stop this kind of intrusion on ones phone?

I will keep you all updated & once again, sincere thanks.

I get these, too. I think it is the outgoing call not realising that it has been sent to voicemail. I'd ignore them and never answer calls from no caller ID numbers.

Comment

I get those too - it's an auto dialler thinking you have answered when the voicemail picks up. You are just hearing a recording of what they were saying thinking you had picked up, rather than a call actually being instated to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                    I get those too - it's an auto dialler thinking you have answered when the voicemail picks up. You are just hearing a recording of what they were saying thinking you had picked up, rather than a call actually being instated to them.
                    Hi Sparkles,

Sorry to sound dense but just to check, the voicemail then does not get connected/diverted to them then? On another note, I keep blocking their numbers & texts/messages on the iPhone but despite this, they are still able to leave new ones with the numbers that have been blocked - how is that even possible?

Oh, and another 2 more voicemails this morning of the same type!

Many Thanks!

Comment

No it doesn't get connected to them. If you answered the call then you'd get the autodialler playing the message to you. When your voicemail picks up the autodialler thinks it's you and plays out the same.message into your voicemail, then you just hear it being played back in the same way as a message from anyone else.

I get calls from PRA daily which go straight to my voicemail, I'm not sure if you can block them completely.

Comment

Hello All,

Just wanted to update you all as promised. I received a letter a few days after sending mine & they have initiated an internal investigation about my assertion of harassment by their persistent calls & contacts - not sure if an internal investigation really means anything but at least it has been now acknowledged.

On the issue about their two claims which they alleged & have been hounding me for - they have closed the account & removed my details from theirs & Capquest's systems & have stated that they will no longer contact me so really great news & all thanks to all you kind & helpful folks here - I am beyond more than grateful for everyones help & input & a great burden has been lifted off my shoulders - my sister has Cancer which is not going too well & this issue on top was really adding to all the extra stress & anxiety.

If it might help or be of some assistance to anyone else that is or may be in my predicament, I have attached a copy of the letter they sent me. I am very glad I listened to everyones advice & sent the short template letters provided & not my much more rambling longer one.

Thank you most sincerely everyone!

OPOS LETTER RECEIVED005 2.pdf

Comment

Working...
                        X