GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Newbie Needs Advice On How To Reply To OPUS Debt Limited - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Needs Advice On How To Reply To OPUS Debt Limited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Needs Advice On How To Reply To OPUS Debt Limited

Hi All,

I am not very legally savvy at all so please bear & forgive me for any errors. I had some debts well over 6 years ago that I believe should now be Stature Barred. I never received any Court Summons, Paperwork etc & no notices of any CCJ's made against me. Since that time, I have never entered into any sort of loans, credit cards, finance etc - stayed completely clean.

For quite some time in the last year or so, out of the blue I was being contacted via email & messages via Capquest to contact them regarding accounts that needed to be discussed. All the online information I could find stated that since more than 6 years have passed, the debts would be automatically Statute Barred & not to ever respond by calling or replying to their emails or online system so I did not.

Recently, I got the very first letters from Capquest stating that they have now passed the cases on to OPUS Limited. My online searching about OPUS seems to suggest that they are a very nasty company & NOT to ignore them. However, despite the Capquest Letters stating that OPUS would be sending me correspondence, they never have - they too only ever leave constant telephone messages asking me to call them to discuss matters. Again, I did not respond as I did not want to fall into a trap by calling/emailing or going on to their online system.

The telephone calls from OPUS have now become more intimidating in that they state that "Time is running out & in order to avoid further serious & court actions to CALL them immediately quoting the reference numbers provided".

I do not want to call & all information I can find online seems to suggest that to send them a Statute Barred Letter which I have been researching, However, may of the references had many varied dates as to the information/letters provided so I am unsure whether what I might send might still be legally correct & protect me fully without falling into any traps - I understand that the law & rules might have changed over the years & just wish to ensure I do not include anything incorrect, unwise or that might aid them in any way. I also read it might be best to use templates but to personalise them as debt companies are becoming wise to templates.

Most recommend writing a one page letter but I have struggled to do this so it does seem to drag on a bit & I am concerned that it might possibly get their bonnet up & make things more difficult/protracted with them becoming entrenched but then I am also concerned about leaving key points out?

I would be most grateful if anyone with experience in dealing with OPUS/Debt Companies can advise me if my proposed letter to them is sufficient to get them off my backs & whether to add, omit, alter anything to make it more robust, legally factual & not provide them with any wiggle room to keep chasing me - please feel free to alter/change amend since as a novice, I might have something incorrect, wrong or unwise on it. TBH, I am now very stressed out & under quite some tension due to all their calls & messages - I would be most grateful for any speedy replies as I wish to now write to them as soon as possible since I am quite fearful & somewhat panicked by their stating "time is running out to avoid court/serious actions".

Sincere Thanks.

My Draft Letter:

"Sent Via Recorded & Signed For Delivery

Opos Limited
    2nd Floor
    15 Meadowbank Street
    Dumbarton, G82 1JR

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Re: Your Reference Numbers: OP------- & OP-------

To Whom It May Concern:

Having previously received written correspondence from your affiliate partners Capquest who passed matters on to yourselves, you have contacted me telephonically only (no written correspondence ever received) about the accounts with the above reference numbers which you incorrectly claim I owe. I do not acknowledge nor admit any liability for your claims.

I understand that any Licence granted to you by the Office Of Fair Trading requires (OFT) requires you to abide by their guidelines.

No contract of any kind has ever been entered with yourselves, Capquest or any other affiliate or third party interlopers in relation to the alleged debts by myself or any other persons acting as an agent.

Any & all claims you allege would be Statue Barred & Under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5:

“An action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

Also, the Financial Conduct Authority's Consumer Credit sourcebook states the following.

"...a firm must not attempt to recover a statute barred debt in England, Wales or Northern Ireland if the lender or owner has not been in contact with the customer during the limitation period." 7.15.4

"A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred." 7.15.8

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that "continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970".

OFT Debt Guidelines require that an Original Creditor must obtain written consent before passing any case/account to any third party such as yourselves & no such letter of consent was ever requested, provided nor given.

The earliest point at which you could have pursued in relation to this or any alleged debts was well more than six years ago.

No payment has been made to these alleged debts by myself, any joint account-holder or any third party acting as my agent for a period of more than six years.

No written or any other kind of admission of liability for these alleged debts has been made by me, or any third party acting as my agent for a period of more than six years. These alleged debts are therefore statute barred and any court claim to recover will be sternly defended on this basis. Furthermore, Section 1, Sub-Sections 1-3 of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999, firmly stipulates that any third party collection agency MUST have been expressly named & identified in any original contract signed. Since neither yourselves, Capquest nor any other third parties comply with this stipulation, you have no rights or standing with regards in this matter.

Unless you can provide evidence of payment, written acknowledgment of any outstanding debt in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act and the original signed credit agreement, you are no longer able to pursue or take any court action to recover the amounts you allege so please confirm in writing (within 21 days) that you will now no longer pursue me for the alleged debts, that the case is closed & nullified and that you will cease all further communications to me.

Should you continue to harass me regarding these alleged debts without providing the documentation required then a complaint will be made to the Financial Services Ombudsman. In addition, this letter will be brought to the attention of the court if any proceedings are issued in respect of the above.

Sincerely,

(NAME IN CAPITALS - NOT SIGNED)"

• Type of account
    • Date commenced
    • Approx balance £
    • Date last paid
    • Are you on arrangement
    • Status defaulted
    • Account owner

start diary with the info asked for starters. welcome by the way
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Statute Barred - England (6 years)

Statute Barred - Scotland (5 years) only use if advised on here meantime information is essential

Harassment by Telephone
      Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 18 August 2022, 17:10.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
        • Type of account
        • Date commenced
        • Approx balance £
        • Date last paid
        • Are you on arrangement
        • Status defaulted
        • Account owner

start diary with the info asked for starters. welcome by the way
        Hi The Tech Clerk,

Thank you kindly for responding! I will try to answer the points as best I can since it has been a long time & I do not have all the details at hand but will do my best to try & find out later to check if I still have any paperwork etc.

Type(s) of Account = Credit Cards
        Date Commenced = Approx 8-9 years ago
        Approx Balance(s) = £3956.01 & £2233.22 (according to Capquest Correspondence Received)
        Date Last Paid = Approx 8-9 years ago
        Are you on arrangement = No
        Status Defaulted = Presume Yes
        Account Holder = Myself

Hope the above provides some insight - I just need to try & find out exact date & year last payment & default was made but definitely more than 6 years ago.

Thank You Kindly,

Comment

Statute Barred - England (6 years)

Statute Barred - Scotland (5 years) only use if advised on here meantime information is essential

Harassment by Telephone
          Hi The Tech Clerk,

Thank again for the links - much appreciated. As I am a novice & rather stressed at the moment due to this issue, do you feel that the draft letter I constructed had too much or any non relevant information since it is quite longer than the template you provided a link for?

Fear is a strange thing - one the one side, I constructed that with the aim of highlighting as many relevant points as possible that would dismantle their claims at the outset & their likelihood to pursue any further but am unable to condense it down further so it appears long winded & verbose.

On the other hand, fear has me thinking that the short standard template with less points will be something they are very used to & know how to get around etc & will likely not deter them. I guess fear has me thinking that if I leave any of the many points out, then it will work against me & in their favour/benefit.

This makes me realise I am not at all in the best frame of mind (when acting & deciding on stress & fear) to make such decisions hence my seeking help/advice here with others way more seasoned than I in these matters. I had basically collated the key points of various different Statue Barred Template Letters so ALL the main points from all were included but at the cost of brevity.

So I can learn & something positive can be gained for the future, what do you feel is wrong/unnecessary in my draft letter apart from the length which I too feel should ideally all be on a single page.

Should I send both the Statute Barred Letter & The Telephone Harrasment Letter together or separately?

Thanks also for the warm welcome!

Comment

OK !! could send statute barred and see what they come back with. send in seperate envelopes. keep copy if all on file in date order also update diary.

Harrasement letter send, get free proof posting at post office.

They hope you live in fear and give in, until they realise you are not gullable. after a while confidence will appear just follow suggestions on here & do not be afraid to ask questions, but ask here before taking action? many of us been through all this and still are, so read threads and get an idea how others deal with it.
            as long letters tend to get boring to them straight to the point. many of ours are written by solicitors etc.
            Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 18 August 2022, 21:09.

Comment

Hi

My opinion (for what it's worth) - Sometimes less is more. I doubt they would read your letter in any detail, and I suspect that part of what you said is incorrect. See what others think.

Personally I would send the letters separately. I think they would have switched off before getting to the harrassment letter if it was enclosed.

(Edit: Superceded by TTC. )

Comment

Hi the Tech Clerk & Still Waving,

Thanks for your input again. I think you are right - a long letter usually achieves the opposite effect of what one expects so I will ignore my initial instinct & go with the shorter one - also, I was thinking that a long one may make me look like an desperate amateur & hence may signal to them that this one is affected by their pursuit.

Still Waving, thanks for pointing out that you suspect part of what I said/included in my draft might be incorrect - like I stated, I was referencing many sources the the dates varied wildly & I realise things might have changed over time which I why I sought help here - glad I did not follow my fears & send it now at least! May I ask, out of interest, what parts you feel might be incorrect - that way, I can at least know & ensure, any such points are excluded in any future exchanges.

A few more things about the template letter:

1) I do not have a name/department to send it to so should I just send it to the address or something like the CEO/Senior Manager of OPUS at the same address?

2) I have read never to sign the letter (as they may copy & paste) but to just print one's name - should this be in Capitals & should I write "No Signature Provided" afterwards?

3) I read somewhere that to be even safer, get someone else to sign & state "Signed For & On Behalf Of xxxxx" - is this true & is it necessary/worthwhile do you feel?

4) How does that Anti Tamper Signature Strip on the template letter you linked work out of interest as I had no idea such a thing existed!

I will follow instructions as to sending the letters separately as well.

Many Kindest Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Teer View Post

Hi The Tech Clerk,

Thank you kindly for responding! I will try to answer the points as best I can since it has been a long time & I do not have all the details at hand but will do my best to try & find out later to check if I still have any paperwork etc.

Type(s) of Account = Credit Cards
                  Date Commenced = Approx 8-9 years ago
                  Approx Balance(s) = £3956.01 & £2233.22 (according to Capquest Correspondence Received)
                  Date Last Paid = Approx 8-9 years ago
                  Are you on arrangement = No
                  Status Defaulted = Presume Yes
                  Account Holder = Myself ========================alledge debt owner (company)????????????????????

Hope the above provides some insight - I just need to try & find out exact date & year last payment & default was made but definitely more than 6 years ago.

Thank You Kindly,
                  Please amend AAccount holder information? above.

Comment

Originally posted by Teer View Post
                    Hi the Tech Clerk & Still Waving,

Thanks for your input again. I think you are right - a long letter usually achieves the opposite effect of what one expects so I will ignore my initial instinct & go with the shorter one - also, I was thinking that a long one may make me look like an desperate amateur & hence may signal to them that this one is affected by their pursuit.

Still Waving, thanks for pointing out that you suspect part of what I said/included in my draft might be incorrect - like I stated, I was referencing many sources the the dates varied wildly & I realise things might have changed over time which I why I sought help here - glad I did not follow my fears & send it now at least! May I ask, out of interest, what parts you feel might be incorrect - that way, I can at least know & ensure, any such points are excluded in any future exchanges.

A few more things about the template letter:

1) I do not have a name/department to send it to so should I just send it to the address or something like the CEO/Senior Manager of OPUS at the same address?

2) I have read never to sign the letter (as they may copy & paste) but to just print one's name - should this be in Capitals & should I write "No Signature Provided" afterwards?

3) I read somewhere that to be even safer, get someone else to sign & state "Signed For & On Behalf Of xxxxx" - is this true & is it necessary/worthwhile do you feel?

4) How does that Anti Tamper Signature Strip on the template letter you linked work out of interest as I had no idea such a thing existed!

I will follow instructions as to sending the letters separately as well.

Many Kindest Thanks.

Signature raising is old hat years ago, they are not oblidged to supply info without acertain that you are an account holder, also belays the old get out of debt nonsense and shows lack of factual knowledge.

Just send to the company who contact you Dear sir etc, you are looking into too much fault finding/confusion/

Comment

I wouldn't think about this too much. Rememeber they have a load of debts on their books which they deal with every day. All you need to do is make the relevant points quickly and clearly to the people who have a load of other similar letters that day.

Creating fear is a very useful tool for companies like this. They have a variety of template letters with vague threats or implications which get sent out automatically, the aim is to get people so worried that they just pay. I've been there and it's intimidating at first, but you soon get used to the tactics and realise that you are the one in control. I've had letters saying I have 7 days to contact them with no mention of what happens if I don't, and when I didn't they just sent another letter saying the same thing.

Comment

they have 5 drawer desk, the operator opens 1 every week for 5 weeks then crys because no xmas party at your expence oppss

Comment

Hi Teer, welcome.

I'm no expert but I've been where you are, and the early days are intimidating. My advice would be not to overthink things, that's what the parasites want and can only lead to you worrying and potentially playing into their hands.

I agree with others that any letters you send should be brief and separate, but most importantly try & forget about them once they're in the postbox. Enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.

And I know it seems weird, but once you understand how the game is played you start to look forward to their next attempt to get you to pay something .

Comment

Hi Welcome to AAD,

When dealing with debt companies, it is best to give them little information.
                            What you need to do is play dumb, You have no idea what they are on about, no idea what they want you to pay, or why they think you should.

Your letter, could admit the debt, which after all this time you DO NOT WANT TO DO!

The template letters on AAD have been worded so as to ask for information, BUT, does not acknowledge the debt is yours.

Opus will be phoning with harrassing calls in the hope it will frighten you into making a mistake and admitting the debt, by you phoning and telling them where to get off and it is SB,
                            they then know they have the right person, you know what the debt(s) are, they will then try and make you believe they are in the right to persue you.

You say they are credit card debt's. Who where they taken out with? as it may be an Idea to send them a SAR to see what information is held by them, when it was defaulted, sold on, who to.
                            the debt buyer may have little or no paperwork, But they need the original CCA to go to court and you need information to know that they can't and your SB dates are correct.

Never assume they were Defaulted find out if and when.
                            Are they on your Credit file/ were they on it, if so what date was the default it would have been recorded on there.

NW

Comment

Please amend AAccount holder information? above.
                              Hi The Tech Clerk,

Apologies about my confusion about the Account info - shows how green around the ears I am!

2 Credit Cards with Lloyds TSB so I presume they are the Original Debt/Account Holder/Owner?

It was passed around between various DCA's previously but then all went silent for a couple of years or so. Around last year, kept getting unsolicited texts & emails from Capquest - no idea how they got my details as they had been changed. Capquest has then passed on to OPUS Limited.

Many Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X