GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script This is the problem - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is the problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is the problem

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
    Does it matter that they sent me this cca back in July 2010 ?
    No, there are no timescales for querying legibility.

should i keep paying this debt until i know if it is definatley UE ?
    I wouldn't.

SH

EDIT – Posts crossed again with NID's post above. The answers are still valid, but if you do resend the requests it obviously doesn't matter. If you do resend them, make sure you keep the old ones in case they get “creative” and send something completely different.
    Last edited by ScabHunter; 4 July 2012, 18:57. Reason: Posts crossed

Comment

If it were me, I would start from scratch with new CCA requests on the ones that you can send them to. BUT keep any old ones you have just in case they are different.
      I would also stop paying all but the ccj's/charging orders until they comply with an enforceable cca

Comment

we have had so much trouble with all their harassment in the past and we are somewhat loathed to rock the boat and have them all ringing us and bugging us every hour god sends, i know this is great advice we just need to level it in our heads and prepare to repel boarders.
        The second we stop paying and they receive the requests for the CCA's knowing our luck they will send SD . According to zoopla the house would be in negative equity because of the charge on it .

what happens when debts are UE , obviously we don't pay them anymore but we still owe that money and there is still the chance they will take court action isn't there ?

Comment

No
          When a debt is UE it means it is legally unenforceable, therefore providing you do not ignore threats all will be well.

when UE you do not acknowledge the debt and after 6 years they are legally statute barred.

As for telephone calls, all you do is send the telephone harassment letter and insist all communication in writing

Easy

Comment

we have had so much trouble with all their harassment in the past
            And they will no doubt harass again. Now you are here, you will find the most effective way of dealing with it.

we are somewhat loathed to rock the boat
            If you don't rock it, it will probably sink. How much longer can you keep paying £76 a month on alleged debts which may be unenforceable while you struggle to keep the roof over your heads by making the mortgage payments?

If the mortgage fails and you lose your home, will the DCAs you've made donations to offer you somewhere to stay?

we just need to level it in our heads and prepare to repel boarders.
            Take as long as you need, because mental preparation is vital. Read some threads in the UE diaries section and see how other people have coped.

Also, see if you can find someone who has regretted the choice they made. I can't.....

The second we stop paying and they receive the requests for the CCA's knowing our luck they will send SD
            That is an emotional reaction and not a logical one. The banks/DCAs which you are dealing with are known quantities, and very few of them are trigger happy with SDs.

The only exceptions are Crapquest and Worst Crudit. Both are known to issue frivolous SDs which can usually be set aside as they are an abuse of process. WC were officially warned by the OFT in 2010 and there is a theory that they have cleaned up their act. Based on recent events I remain to be convinced, but the owner of this forum has contacts within their organisation and has successfully helped other posters deal with their unwarranted aggression.

If anyone was serious about making you bankrupt, they would be utterly insane as there are no assets to be divided up. Any SDs you did receive would be frivolous and could be set aside.

there is still the chance they will take court action isn't there ?
            There is always a chance that alleged creditors will take court action, no matter what you do. The chance will be far less if you challenge the paperwork and the alleged debt becomes unenforceable than if you just keep giving them money unnecessarily through Payscam.

All you are achieving by giving them donations is to push the potential statute barring date ever further into the future.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
              you don't ... avoid holidays because the plane *may* crash.
              You certainly don't, that's for sure!

SH

Comment

you made it sound easier thank you ScabHunter, at the moment we have been freating about paying the mortgage and that is the most important payment so we are going to stop the payments to payplan and send a payment to the ccj and charge which frees up £44 per month towards the mortgage.
                We realise this is a fight but it will be worth it in the end and 6 years from now our debts could be statute barred

do we send cca's to all the other creditors including the overdraft accounts which have been sold onto dca and also do we send a cca out to capitol one who have never passed our account onto a dca , one of the debts is an orange debt which has been sold onto a dca do we send them all one each ?
                Last edited by Spent2much; 4 July 2012, 21:10.

Comment

Just a word of caution, like life there is no guarantee that the debts will be Statute barred.
                  First they have to be UE
                  Then you have to avoid paying or acknowledging them for 6 years

However until you send out the cca requests you will never know.

On top of that there is more than one way to skin a cat, have they followed all the correct procedures etc , defaults are a common mistake, not that you tell them until you absolutely have to

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                    Just a word of caution, like life there is no guarantee that the debts will be Statute barred.
                    First they have to be UE
                    Then you have to avoid paying or acknowledging them for 6 years

However until you send out the cca requests you will never know.

On top of that there is more than one way to skin a cat, have they followed all the correct procedures etc , defaults are a common mistake, not that you tell them until you absolutely have to

we have had defaults on nearly all of our debts, unfortuantley in november 2010 we got burgled and they went through everything including personal papers which had the default letters in and they got scattered all over the passages around where we live and if you remember back in 2010 it was thick snow and we never knew until we went out the back that the personal paperwork had been thrown all over and it was all mush so we couldn't recover it.

There is one main thing that scares us and that is if creditors try for SD and charging orders on the property , other than that we are happy to stop paying them and just keep paying the charge and ccj, petty we never found this site four years ago we might have been nearly there for the statute barred

Comment

• Re: This is the problem

do we send cca's to all the other creditors including the overdraft accounts which have been sold onto dca
                      I personally would if they have been sold to DCAs. Their employees are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, and I have seen cases where they have suddenly gone quiet after such a request has been sent.

It probably won't happen, but you never know unless you try.

do we send a cca out to capitol one who have never passed our account onto a dca
                      Definitely. You would be unlucky if that one came back EN.

one of the debts is an orange debt which has been sold onto a dca
                      Oh bugger. Is that cell phones? Cell phone contracts are not covered by the CCA 1974 at all. Better wait for advice on that one from one of the flash cell phone heads on the forum. I've never even owned such a thing.

Send the request for everything else, though.

SH

Comment

question please.
                        When we stop paying the creditors and send of cca's , this starts the 6 years process of them becoming potentially statute barred, how can this be done if we have to defend any threats or court action creditors might take, this would be acknowledgment of the debts which negates the right of statute barred debts ?

Comment

I am not the expert on this but I understand that to acknowledge a debt it must be done in writing. I do not think you would let it get to court if the debt was enforceable and I can not see any DCA actually going to court if the agreement was UE. The last one I know of cost the claimant many thousands of pounds in costs and Di Mayhew made it into the national press.

Anyway I am off out from under my bridge, catch you later

Comment

Originally posted by in 2 deep View Post
                            What is statute barred debt?

Statute barred debt is debt which in certain circumstances becomes unenforceable in court. The piece of legislation which sets out these circumstances is the Limitations Act 1980. So when a creditor comes chasing you for an old debt you can use the following information to access whether or not your debt is time barred.
                            How long can a creditor chase a debt?

This is dependent on the type of debt you have. The most common form of debt which people ask about in our forum is unsecured debts eg credit cards, personal loans, store cards, catalogues, bank loans, finance company loans etc. The Limitations Act 1980 states that when the following conditions are met then the debt cannot be pursue through the courts.

The conditions are:-
                            • That the creditor has not taken court action against you, eg CCJ, AND
                            • You have not made any payments on the debt over the last 6 years,AND
                            • During the years, you haven't written to the creditor acknowledging that owe them money.
                            As you can see all three conditions must be met in order for the debt to be "time barred". So the answer to the above question is 6 years.

Here you go for SB info
                            I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

we have had defaults on nearly all of our debts, unfortuantley in november 2010 we got burgled and they went through everything including personal papers which had the default letters in and they got scattered all over the passages around where we live and if you remember back in 2010 it was thick snow and we never knew until we went out the back that the personal paperwork had been thrown all over and it was all mush so we couldn't recover it.

There is one main thing that scares us and that is if creditors try for SD and charging orders on the property , other than that we are happy to stop paying them and just keep paying the charge and ccj, petty we never found this site four years ago we might have been nearly there for the statute barred
                              This may seem like a costly proposition but if you have had something like this happen then maybe a SAR to The Companies that defaulted you may be worthwhile, even if it is for your own records.

Thou that depend on whether you wish to have that paperwork or not?
                              I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

are there any members who have mortgages on here who have gone down the UE route, because its a big risk when you have a mortgage for the risk of charging orders .

Comment

Working...
                                X