GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Reclaiming on accounts closed in 2003 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reclaiming on accounts closed in 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reclaiming on accounts closed in 2003

I am dealing with Santander as well Cym, made a reclaim and enclosed almost all the statements. You received exactly the same letter as me.

Was told the same, they could not investigate as they had no info to go on and the age of it, despite what I did enclose, yet the data protection unit banked the cheque over 60 days ago, and just today (Tuesday) received some info in the post.

I have again wrote to Santander complaints section and enclosed copy of the details from the data protection unit, told them just because they were not regulated by the FSA, it does not give them the right to completely overlook the complaint.
    I have given them 14 days.

This was in regards of GE Cap bank.
    Last edited by di30; 25 September 2012, 23:17.

Comment

Looks like I'm following you with GE Cap Bank, while you follow me with Littlewoods! At least they are treating us with equal contempt.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Cym/Di

Have been busy trying to reclaim charges on both open and closed accounts these past 6 months for my OH. Some back to 2001.

However I have detected both in my own dealings and posters evidence on other forums that there seems to have been a hardening of the banks positions on these claims.

I was wondering if it could be something to do with the fact it is 6 years since the OFT came out with the £12 ruling??

I know the green banner site had not updated its guidance for a couple of years when I started. Every claim I have submitted has not followed the path they say is likely. A statement that you will very likely now have to go to court at the start of the guidance would stop many many people even starting. Thus wasting the posters time and money.

But that isnt a very good consumer champion story.

However most advice on all forums still seems to be get claiming which the poster does only for the eventual conclusion that court will be the only way. Its is funny how the threads end then. You see it time and again.

When die hard posters claimed, it was when charges were over £12 and these charges were within 6 years. Difficult for the banks to wiggle enough.

I no longer believe its the easy thing to do as you are led to believe at the start. Still possible with patience and hard work and some cost to yourself yes, banks rolling over to give you the money no not anymore.

Now the banks try and fob us off with the no data beyond 6 years to start with. Thats if they even deal with the SAR in the first place. The ICO is really getting shown up as being toothless on this. Then they go for the limitations act for anything beyond 6 years for any charges bigger than £12 that you do get them to reveal. And finally they use the ruling on any charges that are within 6 years are £12 and therefore ok.

This has been pretty much the same across all banks I have dealt with. If they were not actually different banks I would have thought I was talking to the same organisation.

As I said all the forums seem to still be saying go for it but successes really seem to have dried up these last couple of months. I have seen a couple of Nat West and Mint successes but not alot else. Posters also seem to be mixing up PPI claims as unfair charge claims.

My own experience on a number of players has been a big fat zero and my only option now will be a court claim or UE. FOS dont entertain claims for £12

Dont think getting the data via these SAR's has been a waste, as being the cynic I am I suspect there are some pretty busy shredding machines at these banks.

And once its gone its gone. And this is an easy way to deal with all these past bad practices. Destroy the evidence.

And you just never know what other scams they have been up to.

Anyway good luck to the both of you and will read with interest how you get on.

Comment

I know we could be fighting an uphill battle but it seems worth the effort. I have just found a CRA report from last year and the default only left my record in March this year, so I think it is worth it. The Inland Revenue requires prime documents to be kept for SIX years 'after the end of the relevant accounting period'. This means that my paperwork should be kept until the end of the 2012/13 financial year. I am adding this to my letter.

Ken, we are claiming back PPI, the charges are incidental.
          Last edited by cymruambyth; 26 September 2012, 22:59.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
            Looks like I'm following you with GE Cap Bank, while you follow me with Littlewoods! At least they are treating us with equal contempt.
            Yes that's true lol.

Comment

I have just found this link, don't know if it will help.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...d-holders.html

Comment

Cym

My apologies I have mis-read you were after charges alone.

That said I also have a SAR out with Santendar and they are the most crappy bank to deal with. They didnt reply or cash the first request even though I have a signature of receipt.

Second request to Registered office signed for and nothing. 30 odd days and counting. Customer service pathetic.

Hope you have better luck.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                  I have just found this link, don't know if it will help.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...d-holders.html
                  Some of these may go back to "Welbeck Finance" (division od Debenhams) in 1980s etc.

Comment

Slightly outside the 40 days, but just had a reply from my SAR!!!!!!!!!

A 'credit agreement' which does not have PPI signed up for plus it shows me as being a 'house person'.

The letter also states "I can confirm that insurance has been applied to the account. The underwriter is Genworth Financial Insurance Co Ltd.
                    Due to further information becoming available you will receive a further response from our Complaints Resolution Team regarding your insurance complaint."

Comment

Think Glenworth have been coughing just recently.

Fingers crossed for you on this one.

Comment

I'll give them another week before I start again!

Comment

Cym

I was successful immediately via Genworth.
                          Did I forward you a copy of my letter of complaint to them?
                          If not I shall post it to you x

Comment

Hi Di, if you could post your letter I would be very grateful.

Comment

Hi hun

Yes will post it to you now

Comment

You were lucky Di, had a letter from Genworth to say that FOS are looking into these PPI cases and they are waiting for adjudication before taking further actions.

Comment

Working...
                                X