GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Get a P O Box for scary DCA letters - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get a P O Box for scary DCA letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Get a P O Box for scary DCA letters

Hi PlanB

Its a nice idea - however the trouble you may have is that you could still be easily traced if your original creditors have your current address details, not to mention they could trace you through things like the electoral register.

For £100+ a year I'm not sure its worth it...........

However don't be afraid of DCA letters. I used to be, however I actually now enjoy receiving them as I now have the knowledge of consumer law to pick them apart.

You'll soon realise that their letters are worded in a certain way to imply they have legal rights/powers etc, especially relating to taking court action when in fact they frequently have little or none. In the majority of cases only the original creditor is able to take you to court.

On another consumer forum I started posting sample letters from all the DCA's I have dealt with over the last couple of years. You will start to realise that DCA's also use template letters as the content of them is identical. Its like they went to the same letter writing school.

This is why DCA's hate putting things in writing as you then have physical evidence as to any misconduct if/when they are stupid enough to behave in such ways.

Another reason why I now enjoy receiving their letters, as I'm looking for them to give themselves another inch on the rope to hang themselves with.

This year I have had apologies and compensation from Amex and MBNA due to the conduct of their DCA's and collection agencies.

Your £100 may be better spent on a good filing cabinet or scanner so you can document these miscreants garbage and then use it against them.

However I would love to see the usual 'doorstep threat' letters being sent to a PO Box! Wonder how they would work that one with their doorstep collectors?!

Best

SnV
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Susie View Post
      Not sure about the consumer law, but although it sounds like a good way to control things I am fairly sure that Royal Mail do release names and addresses of who holds the box if requested. May be worth checking with them before you spend £150+ a year.

I may be wrong
      You aren't.

However, other delivery services or accommodation addresses - such as Monomark House (link) - will not reveal such data unless obliged by a court order to do so.

Comment

Monomark looks good, but I have just had one of my rare off the wall thoughts

Would a care of address work for you.
        Someone who would take your post in for you and enjoy giving the DCA's the Run around.

Perhaps you Could ask them to Send their replies,
        Care of Martin Lewis,
        MSE Towers.

Best not he isn't exactly a fan of us sticking it to them is he?

Or maybe we could develop our own Care Of address.
        I would like to see a doorstep collector Climbing over the Gates Of Hooray Hall, to be greeted by Lady Hooray's Terriers.

If they got past them, then there is always Handy's Shotgun.

Well maybe not the best idea I have had.

Regards all, Handy.
        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

When I called at the Local Nursery (plants) today I saw this sign.
          Remembering my last post I thought this would be worth the £1.99 to warn off any DCA that tries to come through the gate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Composted upload 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	1383764

I hope it make you all smile as much as I did.

Regards all, Handy
          Last edited by Handyman; 12 September 2011, 23:51. Reason: Not enough F's in Off :lol
          Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
          Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

The single biggest thing that stopped me being scared of post was that moment when I realised the DCA's were all mouth and no teeth. As long as it's just an equitable assignment there's nothing they can do.

I think once people understand this, then the pressure is reduced.

The other thing is, it's not a crime to be in debt and not be able to pay your bills. You can only pay what you've got, and out of what you've got, there's a hell of a lot of other stuff that takes priority over paying a DCA for some non priority bill.

Try not to worry about post. It serves one useful purpose - it trains you well in filing if ever you need to be a secretary!

Comment

Working...
            X