GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What do I do? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do I do?

Originally posted by Quikkie View Post
    I'm basically paying back about £450/month to creditors . . . . excluding £250/month to my dad.

Your biggest debt is the £9k to your Dad. If you went into a DRO that debt would have to be included which means he wouldn't get paid which in turn could cause family friction or even financial problems for your Dad. You're planning to move back home so it's important to keep things amicable.

If you're the father of your partner's child then I expect you'll want to consider the financial responsibilities that go with that whether they be voluntary or compulsory through Child Maintenance.

I understand how you feel about not wanting your parents to be alarmed by endless debt collectors calling and writing but maybe this is a good time to take a deep breath and let them know what's going on. You may well get a lecture and a telling-off at first but once the dust has settled I'm sure they'll stand by you. I would if it was my daughter.

Plan B x

Here's some info about DROs and loans from family members > http://www.stepchange.org/Debtinform...dedinaDRO.aspx

Loans from family or friends and DROs

Loans from friends or family must be included in a DRO just like other debts.
    This means the person who lent you the money can’t take any action to collect it from you, and you can’t make payments to them after the DRO starts.
    If they’re happy to treat the loan as a gift, you can go ahead with the DRO. Alternatively, for small sums, you may be able to come an agreement to pay it off in kind – for example, instead of paying them back in cash could you do some chores like gardening or babysitting for them instead?
    If you owe money to a friend or family, don’t be tempted to pay it off quickly before your DRO starts. This could be seen as showing them preferential treatment, and your DRO could be refused.

Comment

Well, many pay loans to parents etc back after the 1 year DRO is up, as long as they don't shout about it. Naughty but.....

In this case sounds like a DRO is out for other reasons though. At least for now.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
        Self managed DMP or token payments until things settle down at new home and longer term finances become clearer?

That's what I would do.

I'd also look for ways to increase my income even if that meant taking a second job.

It's time to look after No1 (and your girlfriend and child).

Stuff the banks and creditors, they've already had their money's worth out of you in interest and obscene charges.

Plan B x

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
          Well, many pay loans to parents etc back after the 1 year DRO is up, as long as they don't shout about it. Naughty but.....

In this case sounds like a DRO is out for other reasons though. At least for now.
          I earn enough to pay them but not as much as they're asking that's why I initially thought an IVA may be good. I'm gonna go CAB and see what they say.

Comment

Just got out of the CAB, they're closing early due to lack of staff. Brilliant.

Comment

You couldn't make it up could you lol did they even see you?
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Nope. Got to the reception whilst other people sat there with numbers waiting to see someone and the lady said sorry, closing early. At 11am. What's the point.

Comment

Nope. Got to the reception whilst other people sat there with numbers waiting to see someone and the lady said sorry, closing early. At 11am. What's the point.
                  at least forums are open day and night )
                  good luck with whatever you decide, its not a nice position to be in but at least you have a new bank account so can have a fresh start. If you make sure to liive without using an overdraft now it will make things a lot easier and until you decide what to do you could always pay them all £1 as a stopgap measure and save the rest for now. Personally I would pay nohing but its easier to say than do!
                  When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

Thats CAB. Waste of time.

The posters here are likely more skilled but we cannot give advice, but amateurs out there can
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Which is why you need to stop paying these muppets now so your better off whilst waiting for cab to Re open lol

Comment

Went there today and they advised I speak to StepChange

Comment

Speak to them and read the unenforceable diaries on here to help your decision. When we hit financial meltdown, an IVA was recommended to me and I'm really glad that I didn't go with it. We are house owners and apart from 1 CCJ ( which wouldn't affect you) pre AAD, I gave all our figures to a debt management company received all their figures then dealt with it on my own.

I don't know your parents, but my reaction is similar to planb's, I would rant out of concern and then help to get everything sorted but not bail out. They will send post to your parents but shouldn't have the phone number there - if you start getting phone calls there is a letter on AAD that can be sent to stop unwanted calls. Try not to get too despondent, I have survived having debt with a young family of 4 children and have come out stronger and still married!

Comment

So I put all my details in at StepChange and they recommend a DMP. The details are as follows:

"Your monthly DMP payment will be £ 124
                            Based on your current budget and any changes you've told us about it will take 7 years and 8 months for
                            you to become debt free."

The two points I'm unsure about are this:

"Our reputation and the good relationship we have with creditors means that most of them agree to stop interest and charges while you're on a DMP with us."

And this:

"2.9 that my creditors may continue their collection activity, charge interest or other fees, or take legal action against me. StepChange Debt Charity will try to, but cannot, prevent this happening;"

Is it better to just not pay at first I order to get a default and then have the interest frozen for definite?

Comment

You have control if you deal with it yourself but the downside is that you have to deal with everything instead of passing it to a third party.

Comment

What he wants to know is if you there's a chance interest will still be added and after the dmp he finds he has a balance made up of interest, wouldn't he be better to not pay first wait till he's been defaulted and agreements terminated and then set up a dmp. That way he knows there will be no further interest regardless

Comment

Working...
                                X