GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Overpayment of ESA - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overpayment of ESA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overpayment of ESA

Oh no PF what the hell are they playing at? I truly believe as you do that the DWP themselves have no idea what is going on and what they are doing. I really hope you get it sorted quickly. It is no wonder that so many people are at breaking point in this country when we have such cruel people making these decisions.

Hoe ironic TimD that you worked with the benefits system, bet you're glad that this is no longer the case. I really don't understand how people employed by the DWP are able to make these decisions, don't they have any conscience or empathy! I know there is no way I could do the job. It makes you feel really bitter doesn't it TimD? You worked within the very sector who are now destroying you, makes you wonder why you bothered. I trained as a mental health nurse, it was my career for 30 odd years until I took a severe beating and became yet another casualty. I retired early which is just as well now as my husband needs me at home. I often think about my working life, I really enjoyed it in the early days, plenty of time to spend with patients, still short of staff but not half the paperwork that was involved at the end of my career. The work was much harder too, no hoists etc, back breaking work mostly. Now, had I chose another career where they pay would have no doubt been better and far better working conditions, I wouldn't have the joint problems I have now.

I trained in the early seventies but there is no way I would want to be a nurse now.

Well well that was a good moan We must stay strong and not let them beat us, I feel a lot better than when I first posted on this forum, and I haven't given up the fight just yet

Comment

Maggie

Keep posting, there are many other topics here besides debt like these for example:

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/f...at-amp-Gossip!

I see you are an AAD Addict now too lol

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post

How ironic TimD that you worked with the benefits system, bet you're glad that this is no longer the case. I really don't understand how people employed by the DWP are able to make these decisions, don't they have any conscience or empathy! I know there is no way I could do the job. It makes you feel really bitter doesn't it TimD? You worked within the very sector who are now destroying you, makes you wonder why you bothered
        Quite, though administering Benefits through a Local Authority was a different ball game then, although we followed the rules used by the DSS as was then, we could deal with problems in a wholly different manner, you generally saw someone with a problem, discussed it, got the details and did the work there and then, recalculating on the spot, entitlements etc, helping write appeal letters etc sometimes liasing directly with contacts in the DSS to sort out associated problems, sometimes the same time they came in with a query, although they may not have got the result they necessarily wanted, they got things moving, unlike the fill a form in and wait weeks etc, I could also then understand and used to advise on other benefits that people could claim etc, now the system to me is too complicated and incomprehensible and dis jointed, I have problems due to surgical brain damage in understanding things like this now, and come to the realisation at 47 years old I cannot manage my own affairs in these matters.

Thankfully the awful depression I have had has lifted after an appalling weekend, and have been in touch with the my Neuro unit who are managing my medications, i have over the phone suspended further payments and got names etc of who i have dealt with, and my daughter is printing a SAR form for me today.

Comment

Originally posted by Timd View Post
          Quite, though administering Benefits through a Local Authority was a different ball game then, although we followed the rules used by the DSS as was then, we could deal with problems in a wholly different manner, you generally saw someone with a problem, discussed it, got the details and did the work there and then, recalculating on the spot, entitlements etc, helping write appeal letters etc sometimes liasing directly with contacts in the DSS to sort out associated problems, sometimes the same time they came in with a query, although they may not have got the result they necessarily wanted, they got things moving, unlike the fill a form in and wait weeks etc, I could also then understand and used to advise on other benefits that people could claim etc, now the system to me is too complicated and incomprehensible and dis jointed, I have problems due to surgical brain damage in understanding things like this now, and come to the realisation at 47 years old I cannot manage my own affairs in these matters.

Thankfully the awful depression I have had has lifted after an appalling weekend, and have been in touch with the my Neuro unit who are managing my medications, i have over the phone suspended further payments and got names etc of who i have dealt with, and my daughter is printing a SAR form for me today.
          So pleased to hear you depression has been lifted, my husband had a terrible week also I think the thing is you have no control and are trying to deal with a faceless organisation who hold all the cards. It is sad that unlike in your day there were employees who had compassion and understanding and were able to make correct judgements, now? I believe this country has lost its moral compass.

Good news you have managed to suspend all future payments until you know more about the situation, the last thing you want is for the "debt" to keep on rising. Good to hear your daughter is able to help you manage too.

I totally understand what you are saying about the present system being unrecognisable, I believe it has been reorganised into something that not many people would understand, let alone someone who has had brain surgery! Both myself and my husband who I like to think are of reasonable intelligence have little understanding of all these rules and regulations. I also believe that many of the DWP staff have a poor understanding also.

We have so far received no info re the SAR request other than to say they have received it. It's a waiting game I'm afraid.

Keep posting TimD and let me know how you are getting on.

Best wishes Maggie

Comment

Well got back yesterday and two brown letters were there, I opened one to see I have at least been awarded some from January up until 11th October, but it does not explain why from October i do not get any more. However I do remain in the support group and have still no idea what that is all about.

So I don't know what the over payment will be yet but at least it is not as bad as I feared at first that all entitlement would stop from last January, but I am sure it is still a hefty amount. My small pension I get a month is deemed by them as much or more than the law says I need to live on, it barely pays my small by today's standards mortgage, and i have just had to pay my gas and electric bills.

The other brown letter was them quick as a flash cancelling my Council Tax Benefit, funny how in some areas they can communicate very quickly and efficiently.

Can anyone explain the Support group and what that is all about

Comment

Hi Timd. For an explanation of the ESA support group have a look at Benefits and Work
              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Folks

Well we have all the SAR paperwork though find it really difficult to comprehend, so many abbreviations with no explanation to what they mean. No copy of the compliance officers report which we specifically asked for as the officer was very understanding and fair. He even commented about the mess they are in

One thing got me riled and that was when we had pointed out that my husband pension is actually administered by DWP, they say "oh different dept we don't have access to any of their records" SAR paperwork however shows numerous phone calls between these two depts which have occurred since this error has come to light and we have pointed out that DWP administer pension. Funny how they can suddenly interact with this dept now when they couldn't before!

Yesterday received the reconsideration and they are not reversing it therefore it's going to appeal. Happy Xmas

Comment

Wishing you luck at the appeal

Did you get in touch with Fightback?

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                    Wishing you luck at the appeal

Did you get in touch with Fightback?
                    Hi Pixie
                    Thanks for the good luck wishes
                    Yes, contacted Fightback but we live out of the area and they were so busy at the time and there wasn't much they could do in the early stages but we need the help now. Earlier today I PMd Michelle of Fightback asking her if she could assist in preparing a submission etc. We are willing to travel to her and pay any fees/ expenses etc. so waiting to hear back from her.
                    Fingers crossed she can help.

Comment

Well having heard nothing since my recalculation letter of 24th October saying i receive nothing from 13th October and taking about half what I received last year I heard nothing then got two tax codes through the post today.

Rang HMRC they say I get ESA, I say not since 13th October, so they change my tax code and say I need a P45 from Jobcentre Plus.

Rang Jobcentre Plus, asked re P45 after reading my notes they said I needed to supply my pension details, I said I was called in and supplied those and ESA stopped on 11th October. Then said the claim was suspended I said yes I asked for it to be because I didn't want anymore overpayments. Then said there was an overpayment and needed to speak to Debt Management who would sort everything out, including the P45's.

Rang Debt management they said there was nothing on screen for me therefore there was nothing they could do, asked about the P45 etc nothing to do with them and I should ring the Jobcentre Plus, said I just rang them they told me to call you, again told nothing we can do you are not on the system.

So in short I do not know what to do, I receive nothing now other than my pension which pays our modest mortgage but not much else, I am too frightened to claim anything else, I can only assume because I asked for it to be suspended it has thrown everything into confusion, but have a sneaky suspicion I will get a letter in a few weeks now from debt management, I really do not know what to do, I just want it to go away once and for all.

Comment

That's a ridiculous state of affairs Timd.

I'm not sure what to suggest except maybe get in touch with Welfare Rights.

Comment

Well after agonising on it I rang Jobcentre Plus back and asked who i could contact further up the chain so to speak, so went through it all again and someone is supposed to be calling me back today, I got the impression from the voice of whoever I was talking to they were bluffing and struggling for things to say of any substance, and trying to hide their mess up, having done this I feel a little easier , but I noted some tremors in my left leg during the call.

I had a tumour on the right side of my brain and have been seizure free since the surgery, although I still take medication, this has been the first noticeable thing since my surgery, I am in the process of changing my seizure meds as the last attempt didn't go well due to side effects, so new ones are underway, and the last thing I need now would be a seizure because of all this. I will wait and see if someone calls, and see what they say and demand it all in writing and take it from there. I also mentioned to them the SAR request I posted in October and heard nothing whatsoever about

Comment

Now told to contact the Compliance Officer I saw first of all, so a big circle is now complete, Though the message they left after asking them not to call between 3 and 4 didn't leave any contact details, and almost predictabally they rang at 3.10pm

Comment

Originally posted by Timd View Post
                              Well having heard nothing since my recalculation letter of 24th October saying i receive nothing from 13th October and taking about half what I received last year I heard nothing then got two tax codes through the post today.

Rang HMRC they say I get ESA, I say not since 13th October, so they change my tax code and say I need a P45 from Jobcentre Plus.

Rang Jobcentre Plus, asked re P45 after reading my notes they said I needed to supply my pension details, I said I was called in and supplied those and ESA stopped on 11th October. Then said the claim was suspended I said yes I asked for it to be because I didn't want anymore overpayments. Then said there was an overpayment and needed to speak to Debt Management who would sort everything out, including the P45's.

Rang Debt management they said there was nothing on screen for me therefore there was nothing they could do, asked about the P45 etc nothing to do with them and I should ring the Jobcentre Plus, said I just rang them they told me to call you, again told nothing we can do you are not on the system.

So in short I do not know what to do, I receive nothing now other than my pension which pays our modest mortgage but not much else, I am too frightened to claim anything else, I can only assume because I asked for it to be suspended it has thrown everything into confusion, but have a sneaky suspicion I will get a letter in a few weeks now from debt management, I really do not know what to do, I just want it to go away once and for all.
                              Hi There TimD

Well it would appear that as previously stated, you are indeed a mirror to our situation! Exactly what happened to us, debt management had nothing on their screen so couldn't help yet JCP had in their letter to us told us to contact them. We are still awaiting further SARS that they have omitted to include in the first bundle. The phone call transcripts or recordings and the compliance officers report. We have received their submissions for the court of appeal which really doesn't say much. They do however accept that is was not a deliberate error on our part....cheeky blighters.

we are driving up to Manchester later this week to see Michelle from Fightback.

I'm so sorry to hear of your present circumstance re the tremors in your leg I really do hope it is maybe stress related but no doubt you will be anxious about this. These people really do have a lot to answer for, I wonder if they ever stop to think about the damage they inflict? I suspect not.

Your SAR request, I believe they have to respond to this request within 40 days, I'm sure Pompeyfaith will confirm this. Have you contacted your MP? Been to CAB! I know it is such hard work when all you want to do is curl up into a ball until it all goes away, but you must stand up to them, you deserve better treatment.

I hope they rang you today as promised? I won't hold my breath though.

My best wishes to you TimD, let me know how you get on

Maggie

Comment

Well 4 days on and the farce continues, a 5 page letter arrives saying from last September I am entitled to £72.38 and from 11th April 2014 £74.03 a week, there is a page with all the calculations which then says at the bottom, you are not entitled to income related ESA because your income is more than the Government says you need to live on, yeah right, then it says there are payment arrears from when I suspended it, d'uh, and then it mentions a possible overpayment and they are checking whether any recovery must be made, and if I haven't heard after 5 days to contact them, no doubt another merry go round in decreasing circles like last time.

Is there anyone I could see that has the ability to unravel a problem like this and deal with this bunch of half wits that are the JobcentrePlus ?, I am just baffled by the whole thing quite honestly.

Comment

Working...
                                X