GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Friend in need of help with a debt please - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friend in need of help with a debt please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend in need of help with a debt please

My friend is a vulnerable adult with learning difficulties and she is also battling AML , she took out a loan for a friend well i say friend this person has scarpered with the money and now left my friend to pay it off, its not a large amount but it is to her who is on disability benefits and PIP as she is still receiving treatment for AML . The loan is for £300 + £70 interest , so now she is left with the debt to pay of £30 a month. I think this can be challenged as she also suffers from severe depression and doesn't make sensible decisions .

Can anyone help me help my friend or does she have to pay this loan ?

Thanks

Diana Mayhew
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
      My friend is a vulnerable adult with learning difficulties and she is also battling AML , she took out a loan for a friend well i say friend this person has scarpered with the money and now left my friend to pay it off, its not a large amount but it is to her who is on disability benefits and PIP as she is still receiving treatment for AML . The loan is for £300 + £70 interest , so now she is left with the debt to pay of £30 a month. I think this can be challenged as she also suffers from severe depression and doesn't make sensible decisions .

Can anyone help me help my friend or does she have to pay this loan ?

There's no real definition of 'vulnerable' but from what you say your friend has both physical and mental health issues and the lender ought to take note of that.

What kind of loan is it such as a Pay Day Loan or a Personal Loan from a bank etc?

How was the loan taken out, perhaps online or over the phone?

Is her £30 per month repayment a contractual amount (i.e. part of the loan terms) or is it a sum which has been informally agreed with the lender as a result of her struggling to pay? Has your friend got a Default on her credit file as a result?

A little more information would help but in the meantime here is the way the FOS handles complaints about vulnerable consumers. It seems to vary according to whether the creditor knew, or ought to have known that the borrower was vulnerable at the time the loan was taken out.

Read the FOS Decision 127/2 in this link > http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...umers.html#cs2

Di

Comment

Hi thanks I will ask her she is still really poorly receiving blood transfusions so she isn't up to much, but I will ask her to give me more information and get back with it see what you think . Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
          she is still really poorly receiving blood transfusions so she isn't up to much, but I will ask her to give me more information and get back with it see what you think .

How is your friend coping with her debt which she took out to help a friend who left her high and dry?

Di

Comment

Working...
          X