GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Neighbour Smokes Weed Outside - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neighbour Smokes Weed Outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Neighbour Smokes Weed Outside

If you call the council, you'll have a very unhappy neighbour. The council will alert the police as these agencies work together. If you approach him, depending on his personality you may be told were to go or assaulted for doing so. It may make for a very uncomfortable scenario, so please be very careful. If the police get involved he could be arrested for drug related offences notwithstanding any comebacks from the person's family.

The best alternative is asking for landlord to reduce the contractual amount. Plan B, you may be a landlord which implies (although am not viewing it to be the case) a conflict of interest, so, whilst representing members' views it's more fair and impartial to be objective a though you were not a landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by Helper2015 View Post
      Plan B, you may be a landlord which implies (although am not viewing it to be the case) a conflict of interest, so, whilst representing members' views it's more fair and impartial to be objective a though you were not a landlord.
      There is no conflict of interest - planB helps our members based on personal experience - as do others, we are after all a group of volunteers but under no circumstances is anyone on our Management Team 'conflicted'.

The same planB actually works with our lawyer and is extremely clued up in this field and granted, you say you are - however from the posts above there is a clear conflict in the way you think we operate here on AAD. We, unlike other forums, are not here to confuse - we ask simple questions and provide simple factual answers. We do not encourage our members to get in debt, get in shit or generally do things that would cause more damage long-term.

I think you need to realise that although you may be clued up in this field, so are we (as a forum) and what you're implying is absolutely bonkers (whether doable or not) - and that's what I am saying we aren't about - the OP never asked about reduced rent or anything of the sort, so instead of creating mass confusion based on creating a situation out of nothing we literally answer the question asked without throwing legal backing into everything as we try at all costs to avoid legal action being started.

If you have any issues please PM me.

Niddy
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Regardless of what knowledge you may or may not have, this is not the way that threads are conducted on AAD, such comments are not constructive, nor do they help the OP.

If you have some facts or case law that backs up your assertions then please help the OP by providing links to the relevant legislation or on Bailii, which would be far more relevant and useful than stating personal opinion or seeking to wind up members of the site team.

The law would simply regard it as a terrible state of affairs if all Landlords leased their properties without telling the tenants any pertinent information. I would seek to end any covenants, or putting it another way, would it be fair for the landlord to have to live in conditions with a pungent substance aroma? The duty is therefore on the landlord to do something about it. It should not be left for the tenant to deal with this. He is merely in possession of the property whereas the landlord is responsible for ensuring the property description matches the tenancy agreement.
        If you call the council, you'll have a very unhappy neighbour. The council will alert the police as these agencies work together. If you approach him, depending on his personality you may be told were to go or assaulted for doing so. It may make for a very uncomfortable scenario, so please be very careful. If the police get involved he could be arrested for drug related offences notwithstanding any comebacks from the person's family.

The best alternative is asking for landlord to reduce the contractual amount. Plan B, you may be a landlord which implies (although am not viewing it to be the case) a conflict of interest, so, whilst representing members' views it's more fair and impartial to be objective a though you were not a landlord.
        "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Land law concerning landlords is complex so i'll have to do some research and get back concerning the issues raised. I did not seek to wind people up so to speak. My intent on the contrary was to bring to the fore/ inform that tenants do have certain rights in general in land contracts as do landlords respectively, just like mortgagees and mortgagors have specific rights. I do nonetheless apologise where any offence was taken by Plan B et al.

Comment

I did not seek to wind people up so to speak. My intent on the contrary was to bring to the fore/ inform that tenants do have certain rights in general in land contracts as do landlords respectively . . . . I do nonetheless apologise where any offence was taken by Plan B et al.
            The main thing is we are now all on the same page

I agree with you that it's important for people to know where they stand legally. We then help members by translating the law into realistic solutions that fit into everyday life.

I didn't really take offence, although I was a teeny bit upset at your suggestion that I may not be capable of being objective since I'm a Landlord. In fact it's because I'm a Landlord that I am fully aware of tenants' rights so didn't want to raise their expectations of rent reductions etc.

Having said that, in this situation if the Landlord knew prior to creating the tenancy that the neighbours smoked dope in the garden (because a previous tenant may have complained) then he would have had a duty to disclose that to prospective tenants. If he concealed the fact then he may be in some difficulty objecting to the tenant's wish to break the contract and leave early.

Plan B x

Comment

Plan B, your latter scenario was the one I had contemplated when i said what i did.

Comment

Working...
              X