GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Repossesion 8th April 2014 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repossesion 8th April 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Repossesion 8th April 2014

It's the only attitude Pixie

Hi PB, hope you're well...
    As always I'm looking forward to your input

Comment

Originally posted by Peter pistoe View Post
      So the house was finally repossessed today

I guess I'm moving on to a different fight with them now....

. . . do I just forget about it untill they've done their bit and they come after me for the shortfall, costs etc

I think you can forget about it while you lick your wounds. You gave it your best shot. It was sunk when your buyer pulled out at the last minute.

If you had been living in the house it may have been a different story because judges don't like to evict people if they can help it. In your case the property was empty and the mortgage repayments weren't being met so the lender took the view that its financial position was getting worse by the day and nobody would be made homeless if they seized it.

One reason why it feels so sad for you is that it was your *home* not just any old house. It was where you had lived together as a family. Maybe with it gone you can start to get some closure and move on with the next chapter of your life.

Did the lender force you to sign that document where you would have agreed to pay any sale shortfall on top of the mortgage repayment arrears ? I wouldn't pay the bastards a penny if you don't have to. You still have a 'live' complaint with the FOS which can be revived to deal with the aftermath of all this.

Chin up, and let us know when you hear anything which may not be for months and months. They've got to find you first

Comment

Hi PB, thanks, all the stress has gone now, relieved.
        Luckily I didn't sign anything in the end
        So....say in a year or two they find me, what measures/powers do they have to get errrrrr blood out of a stone 😏

Also is their a limit on the time they have to try and settle it?
        Xx

Comment

I think that mortgages can be chased for 12 years.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

is their a limit on the time they have to try and settle it?
            Your lender (Bank of Ireland) is a member of the Council of Mortgage Lenders and will have to abide by its code of practice which is to only chase mortgage shortfalls for 6 years not 12 years.

This link may/may not work http://www.cml.org.uk/cml/membership...ry=0&x=32&y=10

Here is a Cut & Paste from the CML website to put your mind at rest on the timeline.

What will the lender do if there is a shortfall debt?

If there is a shortfall, your lender will contact you as soon as possible after the sale of the property telling you that there is a shortfall debt. They will also let you know that the shortfall debt may be pursued by another company.
            If interest is being charged on the shortfall debt, your lender will send you regular, written financial statements which will update you on how much you owe. It is important that you keep your lender informed of your new address after you leave the property so that you receive these statements.
            The action that your lender takes will depend on the circumstances. A lender may or may not wish to seek repayment of the shortfall debt, but if they do they must notify you within six years.

Comment

Luckily I didn't sign anything in the end

I'm happy to hear this

Comment

Came after me 10 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                  Came after me 10 years later.

Who was the lender and were they a member of the CML?

Comment

Thanks PB👍
                    Tell us more Enforcer.......

Comment

• Re: Repossesion 8th April 2014

Hi all,
                      Back again
                      So I'm getting letters now for me to contact them to settle the shortfall of the loan.
                      Last letter threatens going legal if I don't respond.
                      Not sure what to do at moment so just ignoring, any advice?
                      Thanks

Comment

Hi, I'm sorry I can't help but I will leave a message for planB as she is still our expert in this field.
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Back again
                          So I'm getting letters now for me to contact them to settle the shortfall of the loan.
                          Last letter threatens going legal if I don't respond.
                          Not sure what to do at moment so just ignoring
                          Peter and welcome back

Chasing you for the shortfall is inevitable, but paying them isn't.

How much are they claiming?

You originally had the house under offer at £125k which was more or less the size of the mortgage (£125,500?). That offer fell through at the eleventh hour so they repossessed you instead. Nevertheless you have established the "going rate" so if it was sold for a lot less then you can try to challenge that. What did they sell it for?

Plan B x

Comment

Only just read through your sad story so sorry xxxx
                            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Hey Plan B, hope you're well.

The house sold for £116.000, they want £18,000 more from me.
                              Technically I owe £9000 as my ex is liable to to half, but that's another story
                              Now.... I have nothing to give them and the same for my ex.

Should I call them?

@nanna58, yeah a stressful time that was! It's done now, picking up the pieces, feeling positive

Thanks 😘

Comment

Hi,
                                Any feedback would be good as to my approach to the situation.
                                X

Comment

Working...
                                X