GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Am I a Bad Landlord? You decide :) - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I a Bad Landlord? You decide :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Am I a Bad Landlord? You decide

My front door lock has just broken PlanB, can I invoice your for it please?

Comment

In my honest opinion, you're a great landlord. You're fair, which is all I would ask my landlord to be. Sometimes things happen outside of our control, and aslong as you realise the impact leaving has on your tenant, then they'll appreciate you for it. With regards to the TV Aeriel, what ever happened to oh bugger the TV's not working, while it's getting fixed lets read a book, or do a funny thing called talking to someone.

Come down to the South West, buy a property and rent it to me. ?

TibetanMonk
      On Debt Row

AAD has so much to offer and wants so little back. Take advantage while you can.

Comment

Sorry TM there are alot who want plan B oop norf
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I have a moral dilemma.

A Tenant has given me two weeks notice (nice try) when he has to give me one month from his next rent due date. So it kicks in on 19th August meaning the tenancy ends 19th September.

So I've emailed him politely to explain adding that I don't expect him to pay the next rent because I can deduct it from his deposit to ease his cash-flow. And I would only charge him pro-rata rent if I could get a replacement Tenant sooner.

He's emailed back something unprintable

The law is on my side. I'm an ethical Landlord but I'm not a f*cking charity. I have a mortgage to pay on the property. The rent due is £1,600.

Now here's my moral dilemma. In 2012 he saved me from bankruptcy when a creditor served a statutory demand on me at his (my old) address by hand. He knew what it was so he sent it on to me in the post and Paul got it set aside

So I owe him a favour don't I?

Plan B x

Comment

A landlord with a conscience! (rare in my expierence, as you know)

What does the tenant expect, have they brought up the subject of the SD in the response you had?

If you feel that you need to do something, then why not offer a small discount in rent from what is due when the property is vacated, or wave the checkout fee?

They're not entitled to anything and getting abusive with you is unnecessary and if I were you I'd be reluctant to offer anything.

Comment

Originally posted by marypoppins View Post
              A landlord with a conscience! (rare in my expierence, as you know)

What does the tenant expect, have they brought up the subject of the SD in the response you had?

If you feel that you need to do something, then why not offer a small discount in rent from what is due when the property is vacated, or wave the checkout fee?

They're not entitled to anything and getting abusive with you is unnecessary and if I were you I'd be reluctant to offer anything.
              Ditto
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I think that you should remove your kind pro-rata offer since it has clearly upset him.
                He only did what was right/ polite/ he didn't make a financial sacrifice to get that SD to you just a little courtesy.

Comment

No compassion for rudeness .. Sorry x
                  if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Well all your replies have caught me by surprise. Thank you

I'm not bothered by the bad language because I do know moving house is stressful so he was probably letting off steam. Also he works in the music business where the 'F Word' is the norm.

I think my problem is my age which means I tend to 'mother' my Tenants the poor wee things.

He's never complained about anything in the four years he's been in situ. At the same time I've never increased his rent which in London should be a 10% uplift year on year recently.

He's already gone from the property since a removal van was spotted outside the house yesterday by a neighbour (I have my spies). I don't have his keys back so I can't legally enter the property even though I own it and have my own keys.

MP he didn't mention the SD incident in his colourful email. That was my conscience tugging at my elbow.

Plan B x

Comment

Lol, my son is a musician and rents in London!

As he mentioned the SD, I would have no sympathy whatsoever, it sounds as though he's had a very good deal with you over the last few years.

Where's the house? My other son is having to vacate his property due to it being sold!

Comment

"Now here's my moral dilemma. In 2012 he saved me from bankruptcy when a creditor served a statutory demand on me at his (my old) address by hand. He knew what it was so he sent it on to me in the post and Paul got it set aside "

I thought these had to be handed to the person its for (you).....if so they were surely wrong and consequently could say not such a favour ?

I agree with MP and the rest on this issue....good landlords are a blessing if you have one
                        If you are using a shovel to dig yourself into a hole, a credit card company will be happy to give you a JCB !!

Comment

Working...
                        X