GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Am I a Bad Landlord? You decide :) - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I a Bad Landlord? You decide :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Am I a Bad Landlord? You decide

Originally posted by planB View Post
    On Saturday I got an email to say the oil-fired boiler had broken down. I got my local man to go there on the same day and it needs a new pump which will take 3 days to order/fit. I feel bad even though there is an immersion heater for hot water back-up and a log burning stove downstairs for warmth. So I've sent them a £20 Waitrose Gift Voucher as a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience.

Now the tricky part. The pump jammed because it got damaged by grit and sludge when the Tenant ran out of oil and drained the bottom of the tank (full of muck). So in theory this breakdown was caused by the Tenant's actions not mine. Obviously I'm paying to put it right (£300+) because I want to keep the Tenant happy but it pisses me off at the same time. All maintenance costs are tax deductible so I'll tell myself that HMRC are paying for the pump He'll also be getting a lecture on reasons to fill an oil tank before it gets to the bottom.
    Oooh thats a good one! By the sounds of it I think you've done the right thing and handled the situation perfectly. As for the tricky part?

Would it be reasonable to expect a tenant to consider sludge entering the system if the tank drains down? Perhaps

It's certainly logical when you think it through after the event, but probably understandable not to consider it until the first time it happens, especially if you're a tenant who has never had an oil-fired system before.

I know on the properties I've rented that had oil tanks we had an alarm in the house that warned us when they tank was getting low. There was also 'filters' between the boiler and the tank to prevent exactly the scenario you described so if those aren't in this property would be a wise investment.

If they let the tank run dry a second time though I wouldn't be so forgiving.......

Originally posted by planB View Post
    The TV aerial is on the roof seven stories above the flat and the only access is through the top flat's skylight and they're never in. The property is a Grade 1 Listed building so no satellite dish or cable TV allowed (can't dig up the front courtyard or slap things on the side of the house). The flat has a BT phone line and broadband. Is there another way to access TV without this aerial hassle which I get every time Mr Wind knocks over the mast?
    Thats a tricky one - listed building issues, and (I'm assuming) shared ownership issues when it comes to communal facilities of the building? Is there a maintenance company responsible for these things, or is there an aerial for each flat?
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
      She could connect to the TV if she had a HDMI cable, and her PC/laptop has an HDMI out and her TV has an HDMI in socket.

Oh dear that was all going so well until I got this email tonight:

Hi Diana

Are there any updates on the aerial situation or any chasing we can do? I'm now over my broadband allowance as watching TV in the evenings online.

So I'm going to offer to pay her broadband over-usage until I can get the handyman up on the roof

Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 21 January 2014, 21:40. Reason: Removed names

Comment

This should do what you need - http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/261237955257
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Di

I edited your post above to remove names as it could identify people

To avoid paying her BB buy an indoor aerial like the one above. It's much better value.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I need to get a larder fridge and a separate freezer fast. Can anyone direct me to a website which is cheap but must have reliable delivery service. The reason I say fast is because my Tenant told me about the failed fridge on Tuesday and I got distracted by something so didn't get onto it until today. I lied and said I'd gone to a funeral (well that's only a half-lie because the funeral is next week).

The fridge is dead (checked fuse spur etc) but they've asked for a new freezer as well because it needs defrosting every couple of months. The picture sent looks as if the door seal has a problem so not shutting properly hence all that ice build-up. But since I've been bad on timing I feel I should agree to their demands.

I am definitely a bad landlord now

Comment

Try these --->http://www.365electrical.com/refrige...FQKWtAod5FAAkg

Still time for tomorrows delivery ....
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
                Try these --->http://www.365electrical.com/refrige...FQKWtAod5FAAkg

Still time for tomorrows delivery ....
                You're a lifesaver Deepie I'm on their website now and delivery is FREE !

Comment

All done and my reputation has been saved Many thanks to Deepie.

So my Landlord expenses in the last couple of weeks have been:

£342 for the boiler pump, system drain and inhibitor

£95 for a TV aerial re-fixing following gales (the indoor one wouldn't work in a basement)

£50 for DIY man to fix swollen wood front door due to rain leaving Tenant stuck inside.

£310.95 for a fridge and a freezer

£40 gift vouchers to compensate for delays

Total: £837.95

Add to that the £11k legal costs which I have incurred in relation to removing *Scumbag Tenant* and you'll see that being a landlord isn't always about making a fortune; only the bad ones do that by not treating their tenants with respect. I'm not even going to break even this month. In fact I've made a loss

Comment

Look on the bright side......less Tax to pay next year..

Comment

OK... Get's a phone call ......electric keeps tripping every time they switch the oven on ...

So went up and checked this morning ...

After talking to sparky on the phone he thinks the element has gone ...

£40 element £80 labour ....estimate ??????

So I told him not to bother ....just ordered a new oven £ 129.99 all in ....coming tomorrow between 7am and 7pm

Comment

If you was a bad landlord PlanB you would not be here giving your heart and soul to helping people, so in answer to the tread title no quite the opposite x

Comment

I'm finding my way around AAD a bit more and found your thread PlanB, I'm glad I inspired you to start it and I certainly wish you had been my sons landlord/lady, you obviously care about your tenants!

Six months on and no problems in his current house, seems they now have a decent landlord and the 'caretaker' lives next door, a really nice man and has helped with anything they've been stuck with.

Comment

Originally posted by marypoppins View Post
                            you obviously care about your tenants!
                            I do care about my tenants, the trouble is my tenants don't care about me. To be frank I feel they treat me like dirt just because they're paying rent.

Worse still is when they treat my contractors badly.

One plumber was so badly sworn at by a tenant that he refused to go back to the property to finish the job. A water tank in the loft had developed a leak so he drained it down in order to take it out and weld the seam (it's copper). My tenant went ballistic saying she had just returned from a foreign trip and needed hot water to clean the flat from top to bottom since her husband had made a mess in her absence.

So I booked plumber No 2 and warned him what to expect. When I politely referred her to the reason for a change of plumber (she'd sworn at him for 10 minutes non stop) she said her sister had been in a car accident and lost her arm. I couldn't quite see why that was my plumber's fault, but there you go.

She then swore at me.

Comment

Crikey, what a nightmare for you!

Can't you give them notice to quit due to this behaviour, or do you have to wait until the tenancy expires?

Comment

Originally posted by marypoppins View Post
                                Can't you give them notice to quit due to this behaviour, or do you have to wait until the tenancy expires?
                                The initial fixed term tenancy agreement expired a long time ago. Of course I can technically give them notice but I really do understand their personal problems.

Anyway the recent attempt to outlaw "Revenge Evictions" failed by just two MP votes. I support Shelter's campaign to make it law. Tenants should never feel afraid to speak up for their legal rights even if they piss me off in the process.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/campai...illion_renters

Comment

Working...
                                X