GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Mortgage shortfall & Ex-Wife's Bankruptcy - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mortgage shortfall & Ex-Wife's Bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mortgage shortfall & Ex-Wife's Bankruptcy

Mags as far as i am aware your home will not be affected by this

What a blooming mess eh!

(can't really say much but I am as support hehehe )

Comment

OMG..... what a mess.... ..... lol!

The good news is that you BF's debt is not your debt, so it makes no difference how much equity you have, no-one can touch it ... .... apart from your own ex (as joint owner).

How is the loan you're going to court to sort out connected to having your own house signed over to you?
      Last edited by PriorityOne; 29 October 2012, 16:29.
      Remember the mantra:
      NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
      Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
      Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

thansk Loo Loo

lol
        "you are only coming through in waves, your lips move but i cant hear what your saying iiii iiii iiii have become comfortably numb"

Comment

as he isnt on any mortgage deeds fpr your home then they cant come after it.

They could suggest to use it but cant enforce anything as its nought to do with you
          I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Mags76 View Post
            P1 we dont have any savings at all, at the mo like mostly everyone else we live pay check to paycheck, Like i said above i may have equity in m,y home but i will be damned if i pay for his ex wifes debt
            I can see no possible legal connection between you and your BF's ex-wife's debts. Your BF may become poorer from paying his share which could impact on you as a couple, but no one could touch your hard earned money or capital unless you put your current house in joint names with your BF and then he would have an asset (possibly 50% of your house) for a creditor to chase.

The financial consequences of living with someone and not marrying them are both good and bad. If you plan on marrying your BF the simple answer is get a pre-nup so you'll prevent some of this stuff in future. It may not be romantic but it works and can avoid any later after-shocks

Comment

With no assets, your BF is in a strong negotiating position with Santander and, as you have a house yourself which no-one can touch, I wouldn't be worrying about this much at all.

Whatever you do though, please don't consider paying off any of his debts using your own equity!! He needs to make arrangements based on his own financial situation and without any assets, there's not much that anyone can do to him in the grand scheme of things.

It might even be worth him looking into becoming bankrupt himself....
              Remember the mantra:

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Anyway as far as i know my BF was paying money every month for
                a. the children
                b. the mortgage
                c. payment of a joint credit card

right, found out that she had not been paying the credit card BF got debt recovery letter to my home (so creditors knew where he was, right?) we have picked up approx £8k bill (nice huh)
                This is none of my business and I normally stick up for ex-wives since I have made a career out of being one of those, but wouldn't it make sense to simply cancel the joint credit card and file for divorce. Then he could get a formal legal settlement to support his children and move on with his life with you

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
                  This is none of my business and I normally stick up for ex-wives since I have made a career out of being one of those, but wouldn't it make sense to simply cancel the joint credit card and file for divorce. Then he could get a formal legal settlement to support his children and move on with his life with you
                  I'd actually be quite livid if my partner still had a credit card with the ex.....

Whatever was he thinking? (You don't have to answer that).... lol).....
                  Remember the mantra:

Comment

im gonna lol

He told me about it straight away, he was paying it every month to her and guess what she wasnt paying it so CC company contacted him here at my house and he took on the debt so as to not cause kids any distress with bailiffs etc coming to their home looking for payment (this is better all round then he knows for sure that it is being paid)
                    "you are only coming through in waves, your lips move but i cant hear what your saying iiii iiii iiii have become comfortably numb"

Comment

What happens with divorce proceedings now given the present circumstances ie bankruptcy, debt against house ??

Comment

im gonna lol

He told me about it straight away, he was paying it every month to her and guess what she wasnt paying it so CC company contacted him here at my house and he took on the debt so as to not cause kids any distress with bailiffs etc coming to their home looking for payment (this is better all round then he knows for sure that it is being paid)
                        Men are so stupid at times (no offence).... he should have got in touch with the cc company and cancelled it. Now look at the mess he's in! An ex is an ex for a reason....
                        Remember the mantra:

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                          Men are so stupid at times (no offence).... he should have got in touch with the cc company and cancelled it. Now look at the mess he's in! An ex is an ex for a reason....
                          Hey be careful there, you know the truth can hurt aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

What happens with divorce proceedings now given the present circumstances ie bankruptcy, debt against house ??

ok not 100% sure about this - esp with Scottish law

when i divorced I would not let the house sale go through until our financial settlement was agreed - we had a very long drawn out waste of time and money divorce - one thing i agreed though was to pay a joint credit card (even though it was only in my name anyway) and a joint over draft - however the bank still chase my ex for the over draft.......

it might be an idea to go and see a divorce solicitor - some do a half our free consultation - might be worth it??

Comment

Who's house? Yours? Doesn't come into it as he's not joint owner with you.

With no assets to call his own, bankruptcy may be a viable option for your BF but this is not my area, so you'd need input from someone else before considering it.

He needs to get divorced as well!....
                              Remember the mantra:

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                                Hey be careful there, you know the truth can hurt aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
                                I don't think (some) men realise just how conniving (some) women can be .... especially where children can be used as tools for emotional blackmail to get bills paid.... which is what I'm reading here (between the lines).
                                Remember the mantra:

Comment

Working...
                                X