GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Mortgage Arrears caused by benefits shortfall - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mortgage Arrears caused by benefits shortfall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reclaiming Mortgage Arrears Charges

Good luck and hoping it gets resolved for you

Comment

Originally posted by transformer999 View Post
      Today I have had a response to my letter to Paratus proposing to pay £20 a month towards my arrears. They have refused my proposal and now I don't know what next to do.
      Of course they've refused your proposal if you told them (in your I&E Form) that you haven't got the money to pay it Look at it from their point of view, why on earth would they want to enter into a formal agreement if there's no hope of getting the money offered.

An I&E Form should be true(ish) and show that the maths add up even if you have to massage the figures a little bit. If you offered them £20 per month you must make sure there's £20 available at the end of the month to pay them on paper.

Maybe you should write back and say you're disappointed to learn that they've rejected your offer but you'll be making the payments anyway from this month. And then if you can find the money to pay them you should pay them. Just because they've rejected your offer that doesn't stop you from paying it does it? If you end up in court the DJ may take a dim view of them if you've made the effort to sort this.

I'm worried that your lender is not stupid and if you submit a second oops-I-made-a-mistake I&E they'll smell a rat. Maybe you need to come up with a reason for suddenly finding the extra £20. You could say that your OH or a family member will be helping you until you start your new job which should be in a few weeks. Maybe tell them you've had several interviews and have been offered a job (send photocopies of interview confirmation letter/emails etc).

The object of the exercise is to keep the conversation going and find £20 per month to pay them at the same time. I would be surprised if they issued possession proceedings under those circumstances.

Comment

Thanks planB....I will call Paratus again this morning and go through my I & E Form with them...and hopefully this time the figures will match.

Will post back what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by transformer999 View Post
          Thanks planB....I will call Paratus again this morning and go through my I & E Form with them...and hopefully this time the figures will match.

Will post back what happens.
          Any reason why this can't wait a day or two because you've got rather a lot on your plate at the moment and it could be unwise to try to rush things and make a second mistake Why not call them to say "I'll ring you on Monday with the I & E figures when I've had a chance to take a closer look. I'm really sorry about this but I was in a terrible panic when I filled in the form because I'm looking after my mother who is seriously ill at the moment and I wasn't concentrating". This is not a lie and I'm sure they'll be fine with it.

You may also feel it would help to add "I've had two job interviews this month and I've been offered one which may change everything for the better". This is not a lie either.

The contents of every call you make gets logged which is a good thing

More haste less speed as the saying goes

Comment

Thanks planB Paratas called me today and I was so busy with the Blemain crap and they said I could call them again in the morning.

Thank for your very very helpful input in this.....that is one less headache off my head for now.

Comment

Re: Mortgage Arrears caused by benefits shortfall

Been so busy working that forgot to update this thread.

I received a letter from Paratus accepting my repayment offer for my arrears....last week...so hopefully this is one mess that has been swiftly sorted out...and no more action is to be taken.

Comment

Re: Mortgage Arrears caused by benefits shortfall

Thanks to planb's quick thinking and advice I have managed to sort out my arrears problem with Paratus before they escalated like my possession claim I have ongoing with Blemain...so just a quick thank you to her and everyone who helped me with this problem on my thread.

Comment

Working...
                X