GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Complaint against a business that has since changed hands. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complaint against a business that has since changed hands.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaint against a business that has since changed hands.

Hi Everyone,

I am having a dispute with a company in Portugal and I need to find out where I stand legally.

Last year I sought out the services of an addiction clinic in Spain called Iboga Tree Healing House that treats addiction using a powerful anti addiction drug called ibogaine, but had a terrible experience there and was treated very badly by the owners who it later transpired had no real experience or expertise in working with ibogaine. I was planning on taking legal action against them in order to get my money back, but I left them scathing reviews all over the internet which ruined their reputation so badly that they ended up selling the business. However, it was bought by another ibogaine practitioner who I do know as we are both members of the same ibogaine discussion forums, and who was indeed aware of the unresolved dispute that I had with them because I've had conversations with him about it through facebook beforehand, and he was also completely aware that I was threatening legal action against Iboga Tree before buying it because I had stated it very clearly in the reviews I'd left. I have all the facebook messages saved so I can prove all of this.

However, recently, the new owner had the barefaced cheek to send me a facebook message asking me to remove the negative reviews I'd left because it was damaging his business, and this was whilst point blank refusing to compensate me for the horrendous treatment I was subjected to. When I challenged him on this, he told me that he is not liable for anything the previous owners did because he simply bought the domain name and the trademark name, and not the actual organisation whose services I paid for. I'm prepared to bet he is lying through his teeth because when I challenged him about it, he became childishly defensive and when I hinted that I would be looking into it further, he did everything he could to persuade me to let it go and move on. He is currently running Iboga Tree Healing house in the identical way it was run by the previous owners. It has the identical name, the identical website design, domain name & email address, the identical logo and offering the identical services to the ones I paid for when I had my treatment, yet he is claiming that he is not responsible for anything that happened before. This is despite the fact that in buying the business off the previous owners, he has taken away any legal comeback I have with them.

As I am sure you can appreciate, I am anything but happy about this, and whilst I understand that you can acquire any information about a UK company from Companies House, I don't have a clue how this works with regards to international companies, so If anyone could please give me some advice on how I go about finding out where I stand legally on this, I would be extremely grateful.

I believe the ex friend is correct, in Spain/portugal it is the owners that you take to court, they were not the owner at the time, even if the company site is still the same,
    I have looked on the web pages, none of the companys are government registered, so may be impossable to get anywhere as if the drug in question is illigal, then you may be accused of drug offences
    you may need to contact citizens advice in spain,

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/

Last edited by nightwatch; 7 December 2018, 10:42.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
    X