GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Driving licence trap: 1.6m drivers risk £1,000 fine for not renewing photograph that costs just £20 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving licence trap: 1.6m drivers risk £1,000 fine for not renewing photograph that costs just £20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riz
    replied
    Re: Driving Licence have you renewed yours ?

Exactly one year ago (more or less).

Driving licence trap: 1.6m drivers risk hefty fine for not renewing photograph at £20 cost | This is Money

BBC on the cutting edge of up to date news again.....

Leave a comment:

• Pixie
    replied

I must admit that I didn't realise when my licence was due to run out until I got the renewal form from DVLA

Leave a comment:

• ken100464
    replied

Did mine last year.

Besides the fee which seems a bit rich and a way of making money was easy to do.

Even easier if you have had a new passport in the last 5 years. They will use that photo and details of the passport in an example of real joined up government if you do it all online.

Took me all of 5 mins to get logged on, applied for and paid for.

License arrived not many days later so was actually a reasonable experience.

Leave a comment:

• Riz
    replied

This was all flagged up in the media a year or 2 ago as well. I checked then and I have until 2016.

Leave a comment:

• Deepie
    replied
    Driving Licence have you renewed yours ?

Driving licence fines threaten two million drivers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968886

Leave a comment:

• garlok
    replied
    Re: Driving licence trap: 1.6m drivers risk £1,000 fine for not renewing photograph that costs just

I can remember when the HGV licence was first introduced. it was always a totally separate licenc and looked remarkably like a small passport and you required a medical as well. Can't quite remember (1971 or '72) if it was annual or three years then, I think three years.

regards
    Garlok

Leave a comment:

• pompeyfaith
    replied
    Re: Driving licence trap: 1.6m drivers risk £1,000 fine for not renewing photograph that costs just

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Yet another rip off by another QUANGO.

Now I have been told and I have no reason to doubt it unless someone tells me different, but if you hold an HGV licence that also has to be renewed separately so does things like the digital tachograph card. Each one is costed at £20.00

This is according to my son in law who is a driver who tells me because all his are due this year the cost to him will be £60.00
    Surely this can't be right. At one time all the groups you were entitled to drive were all on one licence.

Regards all, Handy
    Handy,

Yes that is correct I was an LGV driver before I retired on medical grounds and had both LGV licence and digital taco card the photo's on them are for the same period 10 yrs.

Leave a comment:

• oscar
    replied

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
    I still have a paper licence.... !!
    As do I - but if you need to change anything, such as name (unlikely as I am a bloke) or address, then you are "required" to update to a photo licence.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

Yet another rip off by another QUANGO.

Now I have been told and I have no reason to doubt it unless someone tells me different, but if you hold an HGV licence that also has to be renewed separately so does things like the digital tachograph card. Each one is costed at £20.00

This is according to my son in law who is a driver who tells me because all his are due this year the cost to him will be £60.00
    Surely this can't be right. At one time all the groups you were entitled to drive were all on one licence.

Regards all, Handy

Leave a comment:

• Deepie
    replied

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
    Keep hold of it............

Leave a comment:

• PriorityOne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mystery1
    replied

Valid until 2044

M1

Leave a comment:

• 5corpio
    replied

glad that its a reminder

I never knew, just checked mine, expires in 5 years - No!!! 3 years lol

Leave a comment:

• garlok
    replied

Yep we both had the paper licences "for life" and then we moved house. Had to chnge adress and fell into this new licence thing. I had assumed that they were for life when someone I knew got pulled, fined and points for his licence being out of date about five years ago now. I looked at mine and Mrs G's and realised they were for ten years only. We have to renew ours in April this year.

Bit of a shock actually.

regards
    Garlok

Leave a comment:

• Deepie
    replied

Mine expires this year .....I only found out a few years ago that they only last 10 years...........

Leave a comment:

Working...
X