GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script HMRC Tax Credits say i owe £10,979 in overpaid payments - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HMRC Tax Credits say i owe £10,979 in overpaid payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HMRC Tax Credits say i owe £10,979 in overpaid payments

Thanks Gold

forgot to mention, when letter came to address i was away staying elsewhere(mum was ill) for a while and partner panicked and set up a £50 per month direct debit with them to pay it, but I am still disputing it as it was not our fault they screwed everything up .
    "you are only coming through in waves, your lips move but i cant hear what your saying iiii iiii iiii have become comfortably numb"

Comment

Ok. This is how I see it. They have clearly had the wrong information and as a result they are claiming the tax credits as being overpaid. It sounds to me like they are asking for the whole lot back since the amounts they state would mean you wouldn't be entitled to anything. What you need to do is simple hopefully. First you need to find proof that you gave them the correct information and when it was given to them. Then you need to point out to them that they are basing the overpayment demand on figures which were not correct nor did you supply them to hmrc. And finally you need to give them the correct figures so they can recalculate theirs and work out if there was indeed any overpayment. This needs to be done asap because if your paying it back at 50 quid per month that may be money you were already entitled to. I don't believe a SAR is worth it in this case. Sars take up to 40 days you don't have that long. You need to be telephoning tax credits and asking to speak to someone higher up than the donkey answering the phone. That's really all I can advise on the matter and to be frank with you,it needs to be done sooner than later as you do not want hmrc on your back for money that's potentionally not actually owed. Hmrc do very often make very bad errors and they will not bother to correct them unless you force there hand
      Trust me I deal with them on a daily basis via my own business.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi SXGuy

I totally understand what you are saying, the whole lot is a mess, I have been disputing the overpayment since june of last year, calling once a month to get an answer to be told every time it is still "unresolved" then when I called yesterday they told me oh no we sent you a letter in January to say that their decision has been upheld, i told them that I am still disputing their findings and pointed out all of THEIR errors on the forms, i was told oh these are typo's and your awards were calculated correctly, I told her BOL*&^%S I have passed all of the details of the whole farce over to my local MP who assures me he will get it resolved. In the meanytime I am still paying the £50 per month as agreed with them so dont think I will get hounded by them because we are paying it back so far we have paid off £1000 of the overpayment. Have sent the SAR off anyway as I want a copy of calls, letters and the like. I know 100% that they were informed of me starting job in nov 2011. The first person i spoke to when i complained confirmed i did call in nov 2011 to tell them that i had started working but that they had not updated their records until sept 2013. Of course now they are denying it so that is why i went ahead with the SAR.

Sorry bit long winded but these tax credits lot seem to be getting away with a hell of a lot. And just to clarify when we were doing our renewals we always used my partners P60 for all the informationregarding income.
        "you are only coming through in waves, your lips move but i cant hear what your saying iiii iiii iiii have become comfortably numb"

Comment

That's the problem with speaking to the donkey who answers the phone. They are unhelpful. They can not simply just say we have Re calculated it without telling you what their calculations are! Another tip should you not get anywhere is to visit a local accountant and ask them to investigate. They can be authorised to deal with them for tax credits and they should be more forthcoming with an accountant. It may cost a little but could be money well spent. That's of course if your MP gets nowhere
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks SXGuy, money as I'm sure with everyone is tight just now but will keep that in mind, tho my sister has studied accountancy may give her a wee nudge up.

Comment

It needs to be someone who's a registered accountant because they need an authorisation code in order to request to be your agent I'm afraid.

Comment

ah sorry had a blonde moment there hahahah

I've just downloaded from a website how they work out the figures so later today I will sit and try and figure it out, I'm not too bad with formulas and wot not (loved maths as a kid) so will give it a bash and try and work it out...............................i love a good maths problem !!

Comment

Hey SXGuy

Just done a few calculations and lo and behold the difference is a kick in the ass away from what they say i was overpaid ................................

calculated using the wrong Income for year (as they have state dnot me)

salary 52291
                  less threshold - 6420
                  Balance =45871

now you multiply this by 41% £18807.11 (as per calculations given by hmrc)

Working Tax Credits and Tax Credits received in that year £7766.52

difference of £11040.59
                  the exact amount they say I owe is £10929.20 .......................................too close of a coincidence if you ask me, but then I aint no expert
                  Last edited by Mags76; 21 May 2015, 15:52.

Comment

Just a quick update on this thread. I took on HMRC.....................sent SAR.............received all paperwork/cd of calls/letters and all other elevant info.
                    Went through it with a fine tooth comb and discovered that HMRC actually made the mistake and not me.
                    Result is I got a letter of apology and will no longer need to keep paying them every month, and I should expect a refund of monies I have paid to them so far.

Comment

Brilliant news, well done Mags76

Best wishes
                      IF
                      "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Thanks IF.......they were not for listening to me but I stood my ground......................and when the letter came I almost screamed the house down hahahaha

Comment

OMG what a result xxxxxx drinks on you then
                          if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Well done! Too many people are scared to take them on and it is a great feeling when you get that letter.

Comment

it was a great feeling thats for sure

Comment

Congrats just goes to show they can and usually are wrong. Well done

Comment

Working...
                                X