GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Employer Relocating - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Employer Relocating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer Relocating

Hi, does anyone have any experience with their employer closing an office and staff having to relocate?

I don't seem to be able to find much information about what they are obliged to do as far as extra travelling costs are concerned and any other issues with the extra travelling time.

Are you able to be compensated for the inconvenience the move may cause?

Any help or advise would be much appreciated thank you.

Relocation of work | nidirect

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/relocation-work
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by marypoppins View Post
      does anyone have any experience with their employer closing an office and staff having to relocate?

I don't seem to be able to find much information about what they are obliged to do as far as extra travelling costs are concerned and any other issues with the extra travelling time.

Are you able to be compensated for the inconvenience the move may cause?

I expect a lot would depend on the terms of any contract.

Travelling time as well as costs to the new location may be an issue too.

ACAS have a helpline for free impartial advice which may be useful 0300 123 1100 and also a online question facility here > http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

Di

Comment

I have seen the video wearing the tee-shirt. Terms and conditions of employment may include voluntary redundancy and stipulate what obligations the employer may fulfil. There may be no requirement to pay anything to the employee eg Job in London with Travel.

I have seen people given relocation allowance when moving from North to South, which may cover house purchase expenses and perhaps interest on part of a higher mortgage for a couple of years, rental payments or hotel charges. Alternatively there was weekly commuting costs paid including years of 4 nights in hotels.

Others have been told we have nothing for you and you can keep your job and make your own decision on moving or commuting. A 40mile distance is commutable, so fares paid (difference between current and Future) for 2 years, but no travelling time.

There was a supposition floated by HR that by the time the fares agreement expires "you will be earning more", which was not correct. In addition after the 2 years, the base was permanent so moving 39 miles further away (40+39 =79) was commutable and only 39 miles paid. Moving location from London also means no London Weighting is payable

It may suit a single private renter to move, but those with family may find it destroys their life - partners jobs, schools, elderly parents etc. or benefits everyone.

Take care to travel the journey during the rush hours as a 10 minute journey on Google can take over an hour at 7-30 - 9, and the buses and train services may stop at 5:00. In many cases the moves have been to out of town industrial locations with no transport, so requiring a car and the associated costs.

Comment

Thanks for the links TC and Di, I've printed the nidirect to refer to and I will give ACAS a call to see what they advise. I did use them for advice when I was made redundant over 20 years ago and they helped me a lot!

I did try the journey Julian and agree with what you are saying about the time of day I would be travelling, it's going to be approx an hour extra driving time but that was not in the rush hour and tripled the miles I normally do, it's also likely that I won't have parking when I get there, which isn't ideal.

I also have health issues and don't drive very far nowadays!

Comment

Working...
          X