GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script New Benefit cuts -- tell us what you think? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Benefit cuts -- tell us what you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Benefit cuts -- tell us what you think?

My view on this is that lower income families should have it cut - not taken away though.

Those who pay 40% income tax pay enough and should be given a break!

However, I also think 2years (the change is happening in 2013 and we're nearly at the end of 2010 so I said 2 years for arguements sake!!) is long enough to give people to prepare for it.
    Made by God...Improved by the Devil
    Save £2 a day - £1610.00 so far

Comment

Originally posted by oscar

There are people in this country who seem (according to the press stories) to have large families solely to boost their income. (not that I am saying this applies to people on this site)

I don't think I should comment on that...that subject is a little too sensitive for me to be polite about k

Comment

Originally posted by Angelic
        My view on this is that lower income families should have it cut - not taken away though.

why would it make sense to cut child benefit to families who are on lower incomes and left to those who are earning more than enough to clothe and feed their families?

I just don't get that. We've have worked all our lives and I had decent job, now I don't work I'm a stay at home mam, with DH working 40 hourper week to support his family. We are classed as lower income now. Why should we have child benefit cut and those who are able to pay higher income tax get to keep the whack? Surely if there is to be state help it should go to those who arn't 'scrounging' but could do with a prop up for a while?

Have I misunderstood?

Comment

Thing is what is a good wage define that?

If you are living in London and rent a flat or have a mortgage your looking at 8-900pounds per month... and bills and congestion charge etc

so your 44k taxed at 40% and london cost of living means you could be taking home less then someone on 20k in the north of england.

Comment

I vote for abolishment of all state welfare!!

Disability benefits and pensions aside, sorry - no excuse not to work. By the way, my background is benefits and more appropriately benefit fraud!! Pretty much, if you want a job that bad - you'll get one. If not, you can then get a benefit linked to tax paid - similar to the current relevant tax year element of ub - but it would only be payable to those that paid into the system. As for single mums, nope sorry. You abuse the system and I feel it should only be paid similar to ub, to workers/families based on tax paid. So a teen mum has two choices, get parents to support them and the kid or get a job and pay childcare. Third option is the inevitable.....
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I'm a cynic by the way, seen abuse for too many years and it makes you intolerant - no shit!!! I was a benefit basher on mse lol
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Miche*

why would it make sense to cut child benefit to families who are on lower incomes and left to those who are earning more than enough to clothe and feed their families?

I just don't get that. We've have worked all our lives and I had decent job, now I don't work I'm a stay at home mam, with DH working 40 hourper week to support his family. We are classed as lower income now. Why should we have child benefit cut and those who are able to pay higher income tax get to keep the whack? Surely if there is to be state help it should go to those who arn't 'scrounging' but could do with a prop up for a while?

Have I misunderstood?

No you've not mis-understood, I meant it just as you read it ;30

I say that because there's support in place for those who need a little boost - i.e CTC/WTC.

Don't get me wrong, our salaries are laughable (I'd tell you what the combined total is but I don't think you'd be interested!! 2 ) but, rightly or wrongly, we get 'topped up' by tax credits - why should we, as a really low income family (so low we qualify for medical exepmtion cards) be 'topped up' by 2 sources of benefits when alot of people who pay for our 'top ups' get nothing in return?

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt
                  I'm a cynic by the way, seen abuse for too many years and it makes you intolerant - no shit!!! I was a benefit basher on mse lol
                  There is alot of abuse of the system around here too - it disgusts me - mainly because a 'family' member is doing it and she makes me sick

Comment

What about families? The good old nuclear family? Mam at home looking after her children while dad works. Not every dad is going to be able to get a really good job. Are we saying that mam's shouldn't stay at home to care for children. The cost of living is immense. Should we abolish all state welfare help we'll have poverty and child poverty so bad again.

Think about all the professions out there, really low paid work.. but dad does it, it's all he can do, just won't cover the costs.. shouldn't we help them?

Comment

Have I misunderstood?

No you've not mis-understood, I meant it just as you read it ;30

I say that because there's support in place for those who need a little boost - i.e CTC/WTC.

Don't get me wrong, our salaries are laughable (I'd tell you what the combined total is but I don't think you'd be interested!! 2 ) but, rightly or wrongly, we get 'topped up' by tax credits - why should we, as a really low income family (so low we qualify for medical exepmtion cards) be 'topped up' by 2 sources of benefits when alot of people who pay for our 'top ups' get nothing in return?
                      because hun we pay taxes all our lives.. tens of thousands DH and I have paid over the years, right now we really need a prop up. We've paid our taxes you see, now we need some help from the very pot we've been paying into. See where I'm coming from. I don't intend being like this all my life. As a pyschologist I intend smashing that £44K in the future and more than enough pay my way, as I did previously. But now, I need a hand. Is that wrong?

Comment

I'm mainly a SAHM - I only work 2 days a week (OH's days off) which enables me to pay my loan and a couple of small bills.

If I was to work full time - I'd end up paying nearly £700 in childcare costs leaving me with £200 or so as my full time income, combined with OH's salary, would bring us close to the threshold for help with childcare costs (As I would then be paid a salary instead of hourly rate)

Working part time means I take home just under £400 a month but I get to keep it all as I'm not paying for childcare - I'm better off working part time as I get more of a *ahem* salary to call 'my own' ;-)

Comment

Wow Nid, I don't even know where to start....

firstly childcare is on avg 100-180 per week for full time nursery. WE NEED CHILDREN to keep people in jobs to populate the country and to take care of us when we are pensioners..

So Nid do you think we should remove cold weather payments and free TV licences for the elderly???
                          my background is benefits and more appropriately benefit fraud!!
                          Yeah mainly by the staff working there...

As for single mums, nope sorry. You abuse the system
                          Thats a pretty broad statement Nid, and kinda crappy think about it... People who have kids from a marriage and the marriage breaks down... what about them? What about men who tell women yayaya and the baby comes and they F*** off? Or what if the father dies? There are a lot of single mums out there who aren't there by choice. and there are some that are abusing sure... there will be abuse with every system you have in place (Point- The fricken expenses with the MPs)

So a teen mum has two choices, get parents to support them and the kid or get a job and pay childcare
                          And what job do you want them to get that will earn them over 180.00 per week to pay child care ?? and afford rent etc?

also why should parents have to look after their kids kids?

Point is you can't get away with getting rid of all benefits... it just wont and can't happen.

Comment

What about families? The good old nuclear family? Mam at home looking after her children while dad works. Not every dad is going to be able to get a really good job. Are we saying that mam's shouldn't stay at home to care for children. The cost of living is immense. Should we abolish all state welfare help we'll have poverty and child poverty so bad again.

Think about all the professions out there, really low paid work.. but dad does it, it's all he can do, just won't cover the costs.. shouldn't we help them?

YES we have a civil, and ethical reason to help those people.. it really frustrates me that people think "Cut from the familes or cut from the kids" cause in fairness your taking away from children.

Do you realise that when govts make cuts like this the divorce rate goes up and so does domestic violence ... money or lack of it makes people do crazy stuff!!

Child poverty is a real situation.. And nid we can't put more kids into care becuase we DON'T have the foster carers to look after them!!

We need to take care of children and the elderly.. because todays children are tomorrows adults and we are the eldery of tomorrow.. I know I want my kid to have a good life so he can be a prodcutive member of society.

Comment

because hun we pay taxes all our lives.. tens of thousands DH and I have paid over the years, right now we really need a prop up. We've paid our taxes you see, now we need some help from the very pot we've been paying into. See where I'm coming from. I don't intend being like this all my life. As a pyschologist I intend smashing that £44K in the future and more than enough pay my way, as I did previously. But now, I need a hand. Is that wrong?
                              It's not wrong that families need a top up - I'm in the same boat as you Miche!!

What I'm saying is that why should lower income families get things 'handed to them' when other families don't?

I too have paid tax, I'm a bit younger than you so have only been paying tax for 6 years - I was too young to pay tax between the ages of 11-15 when I was working as a kp ;Red and the last 2 years I've not earned enough to pay tax ;Red

Comment

I also think for low income familes its not by choice in some circumstances...

Comment

Working...
                                X