DWP Debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWP Debt

Hi folks, just come back after a long stint away. Firstly I'd like to thank everyone here. The help and advice over the past few years has virtually cleared my outstanding debt.

And now the reason I am here, my wife has an amount owed to the DWP and was paying it back at £10 per week from the money we received from tax credits. Given my wages now exceed the threshold for tax credits we no longer get them. As such my wife no longer has any named income.
    A letter came through today requesting financial details for her and myself, however the debt predates our relationship. I've grown quite protective about my personal information and details so I'm wondering if there is any legal grounds for them to demand my details?

Thanks folx.

Dave
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Signature removed by site-admin. Please PM Niddy if you have any questions about why it's been removed.

Meany

Personally as you are a couple then they take that into account? cannot see a way around the situation, even predated? sure anybody with further information will respond = interesting situation - BUT many decades ago I got married and the circumstances was that my partner (then) had got a divorce and had 3 children by the then husband (we also had one of our own) but every time she took him to court for non payment of monies they wrote it off?? BUT as far as Tax man was concerned the original order from court stood (even when written off) and it was taken as income between us and I got taxed (ON non income) . only after I adopted the children then they relented and stopped taxing me on the non income = CRAZY system? so you may expect the same???
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by JudgeDreddy View Post
      my wife has an amount owed to the DWP and was paying it back at £10 per week from the money we received from tax credits. Given my wages now exceed the threshold for tax credits we no longer get them. As such my wife no longer has any named income.
      A letter came through today requesting financial details for her and myself, however the debt predates our relationship. I've grown quite protective about my personal information and details so I'm wondering if there is any legal grounds for them to demand my details?

Did that letter say exactly why they were requesting the financial details? For example could they be checking up on your Working Tax Credits which you have stopped receiving, or is it specific about your wife's overpayment arrangement?

According to the charity TURN2US the DWP have temporarily stopped collecting overpayments during the coronavirus pandemic which is explained here > https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...come%20Support

Whether they have the legal right to demand your details (or hers) might depend on how the £10 per week repayment was established in the first place e.g by negotiation or court action.

Di

Comment

Working...
      X