GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Council Tax Benefit - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Council Tax Benefit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Council Tax Benefit

Been today to a local outreach type centre, saw a nice young man who appeared to be just out of school he promised to utilise the one hour service when he got back to the offices in the afternoon. He's just rung as promised but had to do something urgent so not able to process our claim until tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

Comment

Got my fingers crossed too FUWTW
      "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

After promising to ring back 1st thing today, as we hadn't heard anything we've just rung and he's said it's his next job to do.....

Fingers and everything else still crossed

Haha that smiley should be my personal favorite with my user name, only just seen it

Comment

Great news, we've been awarded the CTB backdated to Sept 1, had asked for 12 months cheekily because they hadn't advised I should claim when I was in discussion about arrears last year. Has knocked £15 p/w off the bill so will really help.

Thanks for everyone's help

Comment

Brilliant news.......made my Friday FUWTW
              "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Has been a good day

Comment

Just received this to-day, a questionaire kept this quiet as far as I have not heard this one before now???

Contact your own counil site for info as it should be on there as well??
                  Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 1 December 2012, 15:48.
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

hadnt heard anything about this either, perhaps its all to do with the universal credit reform.

I can see council tax going up to cope with it though.

I guess this is what happens when councils are privatised
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

They didn't mention anything, however just checked the councils website and they state they are going to write to anyone affected in early 2013.

Comment

I'm confused now

We had a letter earlier in the year stating the new rules etc so expected to be paying more, however when the bill came in we'd lost all the benefit and we're liable for the full amount. OH phoned the council to explain that our son who had just had his 20th birthday is a full time student, would that make a difference. They seemed to think it would but wanted evidence of this which we obtained and took to the council who copied it and said they would be in touch.

We've today rec'd a letter stating we don't qualify for help.

Our council have an online calculator so I thought I'd have a go of that to try and work out what's happening. The weird thing is if I state we have no non-dependants (which apparently our son is classed as) we would get a discount off the bill, but if I state, correctly that we one non-dependant we don't get any help and have to pay the full bill.

Seems back to front, surely having to feed him, take him to the station for college etc would mean we need help more than if he didn't live with us.

Doesn't make sense, any thoughts ?

Comment

Originally posted by fedupwiththeworry View Post
                          I'm confused now

We had a letter earlier in the year stating the new rules etc so expected to be paying more, however when the bill came in we'd lost all the benefit and we're liable for the full amount. OH phoned the council to explain that our son who had just had his 20th birthday is a full time student, would that make a difference. They seemed to think it would but wanted evidence of this which we obtained and took to the council who copied it and said they would be in touch.

We've today rec'd a letter stating we don't qualify for help.

Our council have an online calculator so I thought I'd have a go of that to try and work out what's happening. The weird thing is if I state we have no non-dependants (which apparently our son is classed as) we would get a discount off the bill, but if I state, correctly that we one non-dependant we don't get any help and have to pay the full bill.

Seems back to front, surely having to feed him, take him to the station for college etc would mean we need help more than if he didn't live with us.

Doesn't make sense, any thoughts ?
                          Same here, new bill and now have to pay full amount? don't know whats changed so will be going in to their office asap.

Comment

I think they assume that a non-dependant would help out with household costs - I wish!!

Jane x

Comment

Originally posted by tastyjane View Post
                              I think they assume that a non-dependant would help out with household costs - I wish!!

Jane x
                              Think you're right, it's a joke really. I've been doing some googling and it does indeed seem that is the case, what's stupid though is that if we chucked him out (not that we would) we'd be better off money wise yet then be able to get money off the council tax.

Doesn't seem there's anything to be done if computer says no.

Comment

Quick question if I may.

I fell behind with my payments last year mainly because with the new scheme I got £2 p/w discount rather than the £15 I had been getting. I then found out I could be claiming carers allowance & got part back-dated and used that to pay a chunk of the council tax arrears with the balance on a monthly arrangement, that's all paid up and sorted. Sent an email to up-date the council of earnings including the carers (which went back to Oct last year) and I've now rec'd a letter stating I have underpaid meaning my bill has gone up by £11.00 per month. I've also got to give them £40.29 by early june.

The way it's all explained is double dutch but it seems that they allow £34.20 of the carers but the rest of the £61.35 i.e. £27.15 is classed as income for council tax purposes. Is that correct, am I reading it right ?

The giste is that I now don't qualify for any discount until 25th Aug when suddenly I qualify for £0.52 per week, down from £2.15 a week, nothing else has changed, only the addition of carers.

What I don't understand is that if I was supposed to get £2.15 p/w up until Aug but now get nothing that's 2.15 x 52 = 111.80 divided by 12 = £9.31 so where does £11.00 extra come from??? like I say all double dutch

Anyhow the letter says to review my claim further I need to provide self employed accounts for the last 6 months (Mrs) - these aren't even done yet, confirmation of my pension etc within one month of the date of the letter...quite honestly for £0.52 per week from August it's just not worth it.. If I send nothing I assume they just forget it and take away the £0.52 , is that correct or am I breaking some law by not providing the information ?

Comment

Working...
                                X