GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Equity Release - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equity Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Equity Release

Thanks mgfboy - I'll send that link to my mum and look over it with her. If this is the route she wants to go down then it appears that there are some good companies and some not so good companies so that site looks great for pointing her in the right direction.

Jane x

Comment

From what you have said , I probably wouldn't adviser to use equity release, but you do have to look at all the option

Comment

Equity release=leave well alone, why do you think so many companies are chasing this area == pre profit and a lot to be made?????
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

My gut feelings are that this is not the way forward for her but want her to look in to it herself so she makes up her own mind - we talked last night some more about selling her house and banking the capital - she has an OK private pension which would pay the bills but would have to use her capital to pay her rent. She worries that her house needs things doing to it like the drive needs resurfacing and the heating system is old. She hadn't realised that if you rent then the landlord is responsible for essential up keep which would be a great weight off her mind.

I know she could end up spending all her capital over the next 15 years or so but at least she wouldn't have to worry about so much and could say yes to the odd holiday with her friends. Things can change dramatically in 15 years and she would never be homeless - I would never see her without somewhere safe and warm to live but she really doesn't want to give up her independence yet.

Thanks for all your help and opinions - if its not my kids I'm worrying about its my parents!!

Jane x

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
            Equity release=leave well alone, why do you think so many companies are chasing this area == pre profit and a lot to be made?????
            Disagree matey, it's horses for courses.

And yes they are doing it to make money,that's the way the world works, nothing is for nothing!!!
            Because you don't like it or perhaps don't understand the different options you shouldn't stop others from exploring everthing
            Last edited by mgfboy; 11 March 2013, 11:08.

Comment

Originally posted by tastyjane View Post
              My gut feelings are that this is not the way forward for her but want her to look in to it herself so she makes up her own mind - we talked last night some more about selling her house and banking the capital - she has an OK private pension which would pay the bills but would have to use her capital to pay her rent. She worries that her house needs things doing to it like the drive needs resurfacing and the heating system is old. She hadn't realised that if you rent then the landlord is responsible for essential up keep which would be a great weight off her mind.

I know she could end up spending all her capital over the next 15 years or so but at least she wouldn't have to worry about so much and could say yes to the odd holiday with her friends. Things can change dramatically in 15 years and she would never be homeless - I would never see her without somewhere safe and warm to live but she really doesn't want to give up her independence yet.

Thanks for all your help and opinions - if its not my kids I'm worrying about its my parents!!

Jane x
              Has she thought about buying a smaller property mortgage free, it could be a good half way solution??
              Last edited by mgfboy; 11 March 2013, 11:10.

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
                Has she thought about buying a smaller property mortgage free, it could be a good half way solution??
                BEST BET!
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

We have looked at that but to be honest she would only have around £90K to buy a house after she had paid off her outstanding mortgage the car balloon payment and estate agent fees etc.

She is not comfortable living in a flat (she has issues around being close to people that may or may not drink and may or may not be sick!) It took us a while to convince her to buy a semi detached house! Her phobia is very real and effects most things she does (we cannot go into town after about 3 in the afternoon because there might be drunks around, wont stay in hotels she doesn't know are "safe" although I am unsure how she knows they are safe ) etc.

The only properties around here less than £100K are 2 bedroom flats - so this is a none starter unfortunately. She also provides respite care for my niece who is 19 and has sever celebral palsy so stairs can be a problem too...

I just wish I could win the lottery seems such a shame that after working for over 40 years she is worried about a roof over her head - and its all down to a man!!

Jane x

Comment

We have looked at that but to be honest she would only have around £90K to buy a house after she had paid off her outstanding mortgage the car balloon payment and estate agent fees etc.

She is not comfortable living in a flat (she has issues around being close to people that may or may not drink and may or may not be sick!) It took us a while to convince her to buy a semi detached house! Her phobia is very real and effects most things she does (we cannot go into town after about 3 in the afternoon because there might be drunks around, wont stay in hotels she doesn't know are "safe" although I am unsure how she knows they are safe ) etc.

The only properties around here less than £100K are 2 bedroom flats - so this is a none starter unfortunately. She also provides respite care for my niece who is 19 and has sever celebral palsy so stairs can be a problem too...

I just wish I could win the lottery seems such a shame that after working for over 40 years she is worried about a roof over her head - and its all down to a man!!

Jane x
                    About the same as us after paying off mortgage etc, well cut to end needed, we want to move away and downsize = no mortgage then?

Comment

Jane x
                      Thats a shame that she cant buy somewhere smaller, but isn't renting going to clause her grief , in that, if she is of a nervous disposition in the fact that she doesn't control her property?

Comment

Its so complicated isn't it - luckily we don't have to do anything in a hurry, she knows which part of the town she wants to live in and she could rent something for around £600 a month on a nice new estate with parking and a garage. I am going to do some investigation as to "long term letting" to see if we can get her a lease longer than 6 months to give her some peace of mind. If this is the way she wants to go she can always sell and then move in with one of us until a house she will be happy in comes on the rental market. I wish she would look at apartments as she could buy one outright in a nice area but she just wont be moved!

Jane x

Comment

Working...
                        X