GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Drafty Loans - is this a scam? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drafty Loans - is this a scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafty Loans - is this a scam?

Has anyone heard of them? I just received a letter from them saying that I missed the first repayment when I've never taken out a loan. Worried it's a scam or that someone has stolen my identity.

Originally posted by tatiana123 View Post
    Has anyone heard of them? I just received a letter from them saying that I missed the first repayment when I've never taken out a loan. Worried it's a scam or that someone has stolen my identity.
    A simple google search threw this up.

https://www.drafty.co.uk/legal/fraud...%20draw%2Fuse.

Drafty themselves appear to be legit.

If in doubt ignore that letter and see if anything develops. (What else does the letter say?)

Comment

Was it a letter or email? Was it addressed to you and was the name and address exactly correct.

You may wish to ignore them or maybe you want to be more proactive.

A very pertinent point is about the name and address

Also do you look at your credit files? If not might be worth a gander, see if there is anything on there. You don’t necessarily need to pay for them.

Whatever you decide, if anything else arrives you must deal with it.

Comment

Scams are getting more complex. One of the latest is theft of Reservations names , addresses etc.. from Sources such as Hotels bookings.

Any Loan would require banking details and it would be highly unlikely that this would be done without say a Direct Debit mandate signed.
        First thing tell your bank about Drafty's letter and cancel and replace your Cards as well in case these have been compromised and or used!

This way you at one stroke have eliminated the cards if these have been compromised and told your Bank
        Starting afresh with new Cards.

The CRA's should include recent searches especially by Drafty or others prior to any loan!

Then as Still Waving says ".. If in doubt ignore that letter and see if anything develops. (What else does the letter say?) .."

Comment

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone. I actually made the rookie error of throwing it away as I didn't want my partner to flip if he sees it. I think I will ignore for now, and take action if I get another on. Good point about scams getting more complex. I will also just check with my bank that there's no direct debit mandate.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone. I actually made the rookie error of throwing it away as I didn't want my partner to flip if he sees it. I think I will ignore for now, and take action if I get another on. Good point about scams getting more complex. I will also just check with my bank that there's no direct debit mandate.
            Surely it would have been better to discuss with your partner, if it's nothing to do with you? Whenever I receive an email I know is a scam, I alert my OH so that she can be on the lookout for anything similar directed at her.

Usually scams come via email, as there is no cost to the sender. If you had something in the post, definitely do the checks with your bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              Scams are getting more complex. One of the latest is theft of Reservations names , addresses etc.. from Sources such as Hotels bookings.

Any Loan would require banking details and it would be highly unlikely that this would be done without say a Direct Debit mandate signed.
              First thing tell your bank about Drafty's letter and cancel and replace your Cards as well in case these have been compromised and or used!

This way you at one stroke have eliminated the cards if these have been compromised and told your Bank
              Starting afresh with new Cards.

The CRA's should include recent searches especially by Drafty or others prior to any loan!

Then as Still Waving says ".. If in doubt ignore that letter and see if anything develops. (What else does the letter say?) .."
              If, like me, you regularly check online banking , you would know if cards had been used. Cancelling them might be overkill if it leaves you without access to cash etc.

I understand not telling your partner, not everyone is as aware as most of us of scams and maybe you have history with PDLs and don’t want to put them in a position of wondering.

I have to say, if it were me, I would call them and played a little dumb- ‘ I received this letter and not sure what it means’

Comment

"If, like me, you regularly check online banking , you would know if cards had been used. Cancelling them might be overkill if it leaves you without access to cash etc."

I tend to agree with this comment. Currently it appears no money has been taken, as they claim the first repayment has been missed. This suggests that they (either the scammer, or the lender if the letter is genuine) don't have your bank account details. This may well be a scammer attempt to obtain them.

Asking Drafty what it is about would be an idea but, unfortunately the OP has got rid of the letter, so cannot quote any reference that might have been on the letter.

I think I would write to the bank instructing them to put a stop on any direct debit in favour of GAIN Credit LLC or Drafty. Get them to confirm in writing that they have done so. Then wait to see if Drafty write again. If they do, this time don't throw away the letter! Report back here.

PS: You didn't advise what else the Drafty letter said. Were they asking for bank details? Asking you to make a payment to an account number they quoted? Asking you to phone to make a card payment? This sort of information could cut out all the speculation.
                Last edited by Still Waving; 30 December 2023, 13:55.

Comment

The reason I mentioned Cards is because often this is the source of scammers initial info. Sic a prebooking registration with a deposit recorded but not taken. I do appreciate the inconvenience of replacement cards but it does mean the old card can't be used from that moment onwards.
                  The idea is to stop everything with immediate effect. The current balances might not be indictative of pending payments.
                  The point is ".. I missed the first repayment .." implies a loan has been taken out or credit obtain for a purchase to be paid for over a period.
                  Goods or Cash?

Sadly scammers are getting more sophisticated and time is usually of the essence.

Comment

I thought all cards now showed pending payments. I just spent €28.06 in Mercadona and it is showing as a pending payment.

I do think if you have Apple Pay, they automatically change when you ask for a replacement do you wouldn’t be without spending power just cash.

Of course first missed payment says there is an agreement in place.

Roger, when you write Sic what do you mean? My understanding of it is when using a direct quote with a word misspelt . Such as ‘Mercadono [sic] is the largest supermarket in Spain’

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB View Post
                      I thought all cards now showed pending payments. I just spent €28.06 in Mercadona and it is showing as a pending payment.

I do think if you have Apple Pay, they automatically change when you ask for a replacement do you wouldn’t be without spending power just cash.

Of course first missed payment says there is an agreement in place.

Roger, when you write Sic what do you mean? My understanding of it is when using a direct quote with a word misspelt . Such as ‘Mercadono [sic] is the largest supermarket in Spain’
                      derived from the Latin adverb s?c, which means "so, thus, in this manner"
                      Often the Card is used for a nominal sum such £1 really to establish identity and viable banking note the card details may well be recorded and retained.
                      The latest scams are with reservations hence advanced bookings!

Now how this links to Drafty? Well my first reaction with Drafty is as per the following!
                      Official Drafty Website | Award Winning Lender
                      https://www.drafty.co.uk/line of credit/direct lender
                      Access UpTo £3000. Cash To Bank In 90 Sec,If Approved. Apply Now! Rep 96.2% APR(variable). No Paperwork. 100% Online, Secure & Transparent. No Guarantor Needed. No Fees.

Do you see why I would talk to my Bank and stop my cards!
                      Because it seems they were saying you have the money now heres is the first payment! The question is whom has had the money and against you/your address and possibly a legitimate Card or details to varify identity!

Comment

I get your point but surely if there is a check on a card the money would need to be paid into said account? If not it may be a problem for them to show you had the money.

As for sic- with all due respect why not just use standard English that everyone will understand rather than jargon which may be seen as elitist and exclusionary - this is after all supposed to be an accessible site for all. I know it can be a challenge sometimes to write in accessible English.

However I still think you are using it incorrectly but whatever is the correct usage, better not to use jargon.
                        Last edited by SteveB; 31 December 2023, 10:13.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB View Post
                          I get your point but surely if there is a check on a card the money would need to be paid into said account? If not it may be a problem for them to show you had the money.

As for sic- with all due respect why not just use standard English that everyone will understand rather than jargon which may be seen as elitist and exclusionary - this is after all supposed to be an accessible site for all. I know it can be a challenge sometimes to write in accessible English.

However I still think you are using it incorrectly but whatever is the correct usage, better not to use jargon.
                          SteveB just a habit of many many years when it was common place.

Look at Drafty now what would they require to prove whom they are dealing with. The scammer would presume have open an account somewhere else perhaps online? using tatiana123 name and address?
                          But this was I presume weeks ago because the letter wrote of their not having received the initial payment!
                          The inference being say a sum of monies up to £3000 having already be paid away.
                          The Account then closed monies taken - transferred whatever! Nothing happens until Drafty don't receive that first instalment so they write! Why do they write? because they have !No Paperwork!

Hence looking back through spending or accounts rather than current!
                          But I would immediately kill any cards because you need to cover all avenues straight away because who knows whether other creditors may be writing asking for payments! Whatever ACT NOW.

Comment

It turns out that someone did try to impersonate me and attempted to apply for an account. However the letter was actually an admin error as the finance had been refused. Spoke to them and I've added some restrictions on people being able to do credit checks on move / approve lending without actually calling me and getting me to confirm. Thanks for your help. All a bit strange but glad I got to the bottom of this.

Comment

It turns out that someone did try to impersonate me and attempted to apply for an account. However the letter was actually an admin error as the finance had been refused. Spoke to them and I've added some restrictions on people being able to do credit checks on move / approve lending without actually calling me and getting me to confirm. Thanks for your help. All a bit strange but glad I got to the bottom of this.
                              Glad for you that it's been resolved with no real harm done (assuming there is no adverse entry on your credit report).

Doesn't say much for their systems though, chasing you for repayment on a refused application.

Comment

Working...
                              X