GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Question about the templates and PDLs - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about the templates and PDLs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about the templates and PDLs

Hi,
    Since "The Payment Services Regulations" came into force in 2009, banks are supposed to cancel continuous payment authorities on instruction by the customer. Some banks are still playing silly beggars about this and telling people that they have to get permission from the payee.

More about it here:
    Govan Law Centre: Banks deny customers' rights over payment cancellations

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
      Hi,
      Since "The Payment Services Regulations" came into force in 2009, banks are supposed to cancel continuous payment authorities on instruction by the customer. Some banks are still playing silly beggars about this and telling people that they have to get permission from the payee.

More about it here:
      Thanks for this info. It always helps to have a bit of regulation to back things up! :-)

Comment

Amazingly, it was also on BBC news this morning. If anyone has been refused by the bank since 2009 they may be able to claim compensation

Comment

Amazingly, it was also on BBC news this morning. If anyone has been refused by the bank since 2009 they may be able to claim compensation
          My they're full of useful information are the beeb, where would we be without them... :>

Comment

Well that will be on the front page of the next newsletter sent by you know who..bitter&twisted..moi...never

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
              Your debit card....there are rumours on another site that the PDL's can get money by using your old card, however when I have challenged this no one has ever been able to give me an example of it happening. It never happened to me that is all I can tell you.
              Hi,

More about it here:
              Looking at your balances I am guessing that they are not first time loans, so you will have records on your bank statements that say who the payments were made to .

So write to your bank stating that you wish to remove continuous payment authority from company x then include what ever it shows on your bank statement ( e.g I wish to remove continuous payment authority from payday Uk who charge my debit card under the name MEM consumer finance)
              List them all and either post it recorded or get a receipt for it from the bank

I think that reporting your card lost should be more than enough but a belt n braces approach won't hurt.

Chin up and remeber never talk to these companies on the phone and however stressed or bad you feel it is not you persoanally they are having a go at and it is not their personal money . It is all designed to make you roll over and pay up but you know better than that now don't you

Comment

I thought I would come and do a quick update....

Reporting my card as stolen has done the trick and stopped any payment leaving my account.
                None of the direct debits that I cancelled have been reset up which is also good, but I keep checking numerous times a day.

Wageday advance have been good and agreed very quickly to freeze any charges/interest in order to let me pay just the outstanding interest that I owe them on a date that is convenient to me. I am pleased with this and I will be so relieved to get rid of one of my loans for good!!

I have emailed Wonga with an offer of what I can afford per month and they have yet to get back to my email. They have however put the option for me to set up a repayment plan, which is for more than I offered them. They say that if I agree to the repayment plan they have set out that fees and interest will all be frozen and the loan will be cleared in 3 months. But to do this... I have to give them card details again??? What do you think?

Quick Quid has not yet defaulted.... but should I still contact and tell them that I am in financial difficulty, etc and try and negotiate a reduced monthly repayment ? Or should I wait until it has defaulted and then contact them??

PaydayUK - same a QQ - hasn't yet defaulted.

The one that I am having problems with is Payday Express (there's always one!!). They are bombarding me with phonecalls and text messages. I have obviously not answered any of the calls.
                I have now sent payday express 3 emails (2 to the customersupport email address and 1 to the info email address) and they still haven't replied.
                I am not sure if I am emailing the wrong email address or if this is normal for them??? Can anyone advise?
                My next plan is to sent them a letter form of the emails that I have sent them - the letter will be sent recorded or signed for so that I know they have recieved it.

Any advice and replies would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Loosingtheplot View Post
                  Reporting my card as stolen has done the trick and stopped any payment leaving my account. None of the direct debits that I cancelled have been reset up which is also good, but I keep checking numerous times a day.
                  Excellent

Wageday advance have been good and agreed very quickly to freeze any charges/interest in order to let me pay just the outstanding interest that I owe them on a date that is convenient to me. I am pleased with this and I will be so relieved to get rid of one of my loans for good!!
                  Brilliant

I have emailed Wonga with an offer of what I can afford per month and they have yet to get back to my email. They have however put the option for me to set up a repayment plan, which is for more than I offered them. They say that if I agree to the repayment plan they have set out that fees and interest will all be frozen and the loan will be cleared in 3 months. But to do this... I have to give them card details again??? What do you think?
                  DO NOT give them card details - never! You can only pay using SO - they will agree eventually, just hold firm and stick to my templates. Trust me here.....

Quick Quid has not yet defaulted.... but should I still contact and tell them that I am in financial difficulty, etc and try and negotiate a reduced monthly repayment ? Or should I wait until it has defaulted and then contact them??
                  Contact them now and see if they agree to something (they won't but worth asking)

See above - do same? Why not...?

The one that I am having problems with is Payday Express (there's always one!!). They are bombarding me with phonecalls and text messages. I have obviously not answered any of the calls. I have now sent payday express 3 emails (2 to the customersupport email address and 1 to the info email address) and they still haven't replied.
                  If you want, email and provide this number: ---> Free Number to Issue Creditors - allaboutFORUMS

Or you'll just have to bear with it for the time being.... pain I know but they 'get off' on hassling people.

I am not sure if I am emailing the wrong email address or if this is normal for them??? Can anyone advise?
                  see here ---> http://www.paydayexpress.co.uk/contactus.aspx

info@paydayexpress.co.uk
                  My next plan is to sent them a letter form of the emails that I have sent them - the letter will be sent recorded or signed for so that I know they have recieved it.
                  I would send a letter in, yes definitely.
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Well done , I agree with Niddy pretty much 100% , ok totally 100% but here are some bits from my own experience and yes I know my circumstances are different to yours.

Reporting my card as stolen has done the trick and stopped any payment leaving my account.
                    None of the direct debits that I cancelled have been reset up which is also good, but I keep checking numerous times a day.
                    That is great and on a purely selfish note I feel totally vindicated (no one here btw)

Wageday advance were also very good to me at the start and continued to be good. My only issue was when Iasked them to accept a 6 month payment break , but after a formal complaint backed up with a basic I&E they did. I have no issue with them.

Do not under any circumstances give your card details, they will accept S/O. Just be aware that with me while we were trying to negotiate they added over £200 charges on a £100 loan...not that they are getting it.

I would contact both before, payday uk were good with me to start with until i went it alone and it has now escalated to a FOS complaint, but as I said they were very good to start with and did accept token payments

The one that I am having problems with is Payday Express (there's always one!!). They are bombarding me with phonecalls and text messages. I have obviously not answered any of the calls.
                    I have now sent payday express 3 emails (2 to the customersupport email address and 1 to the info email address) and they still haven't replied.
                    I have no experience of these but if it was me I would write (recorded) making a formal complaint about A) harrassement B ) lack of response and c) making an offer and reminding them of the OFT guidelines. I would also make sure that they know this is a complaint and you expect an answer within the legal time limit (8 weeks)
                    If this doesnt get a proper response then complain to the FOS , dead easy and they are really helpful. (yet to be seen if they have any teeth)
                    Niddy may think this is a sledgehammer to crack a nut and if he does I yield to his advice

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                      Your debit card....there are rumours on another site that the PDL's can get money by using your old card, however when I have challenged this no one has ever been able to give me an example of it happening. It never happened to me that is all I can tell you.
                      It happened to me..................

Santander, set up all my old recurring payment authorities, even though I had actually changed the number on my debit card.

It happened approx 2-3 months after the new card had been issued.

It was a couple of years ago now, and way before the 2009 Payment Services Regulations started to become noticed by consumer forums and 'Joe Public'.

As is recognised, the banks are STILL giving out incorrect advice on this matter.

Trouble is, once a PDL company has emptied your bank account (whether through legitimate means or not) the consumer is then left with no money and so the deadly PDL spiral continues.

I always advise total paranoia when it comes to preventing PDL companies taking payments when someone is in financial trouble.

Better to be safe than sorry in my book.

BTW - not looking to hijack the thread! Have been very busy the last few weeks so just catching up on things!

Best
                      SnV
                      "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        Excellent
                        DO NOT give them card details - never! You can only pay using SO - they will agree eventually, just hold firm and stick to my templates. Trust me here.....
                        Absolutely agreed. Do NOT expect Wonga to not take the full amount even when you have a payment arrangement in place.

I have helped too many people who have had this happen to them.

My own experience.........

After I had paid Wonga the balance in full, they sent me an email claiming that I had overpaid, and that if I provided my debit card details to them that they would refund the money.

I asked them to provide details of the overpayment, and to send me the balance by cheque.

Strangely, despite 2 letters and further emails I got no further response.

Wonder what would have happened if I had given them my card details...............

SnV
                        "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I normally suggest belt n braces. Card and stopping CPA. As i said i was always fine.
                          Last edited by jon1965; 3 May 2012, 09:26.

Comment

Working...
                          X