GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Car Insurance, Bankrupt, claims and big problems - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Insurance, Bankrupt, claims and big problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Car Insurance, Bankrupt, claims and big problems

please can someone recommend brokers to me? I've looked up A plan.

Comment

They only stay on your licence for 3 years but you have to declare them for 5 years.

The same applies for claims...

Comment

thanks everyone. Am I uninsurable. Strangely enough the BR (which I have declared each time I have enquired) hasn't been raised as an issue. it has been the claims! I had hoped I could moc=ve on from the domestic violence but it keeps reoccurring and tormenting me.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiasmum View Post
          In 2011 I had 5 claims ( mostly vandalism) due to domestic violence that are hard to prove. I have a claim from 2010 (Feb) that I can't even remember what it was! .
          I think it would be to your advantage to get a full list of all the claims because some of these (the vandalism ones) could be classed as "no-fault" claims. That's where you didn't cause the accident but were unable to claim off the person who did or your own insurers were unable to mitigate their loss by claiming off the other party.

I had one of these when my car was written off after a lorry smashed into it in the night. I was fast asleep in bed and didn't know until the next day and the driver didn't leave a note on the windscreen so I had to claim off my insurance.

If all of these claims were made on your Octagon policy then they should be able to provide you with full details of the each claim (reason for claim etc) which will allow the next insurer to make an accurate underwriting decision. If they are five "no fault" claims that could change things for the better.

I assume you've asked Octagon for a breakdown of all claims (dates, amounts etc) but if they haven't provided you will full details make a complaint to their customer services team (you have the right to these details for free) which you can do by email which you should head Formal Complaint. You can email Octagon Customer Services at customerservices@octagoninsurance.com

Is Octagon refusing to continue to insure you?

Comment

I will go back to Octagon and ask for a breakdown of claims. Not all are no fault and the only reason my policy ended with Octagon because my car accident and it being written off. I cancelled the policy because I had no car to insure and had quite serious injuries and could not drive. I feel so anxious about everything. I accept I have made claims but feel that the brokers have been unhelpful, saying yes and then days later everything is cancelled. I have disclosed everything in good faith.

Comment

Have you tried to re-insure with Octagon?

I never use brokers. I just spend time on the internet getting quotes from various companies which vary wildly even though I've a clean licence and no claims.

I approached Go Skippy brokers who accepted me and then said that their underwriter's had changed their mind. I then went to Bewiser who said no problem but have come back to me today (Sat) saying no because I had not declared an accident. The accident they are referring to could never have happened because I couldn't have been driving as I was not in the country at the time! No one else drives or has access to my car.

They also say that i didn't notify them my car was written off in May - the date they give is wrong and I was in hospital post accident then anyway.

GoSkippy also allege that I 'did not disclose that I previously had a policy cancelled or special terms imposed'.
              You really need to get to the bottom of these allegations. Could it be that GoSkippy and Bewiser are just thinking of spurious reasons not to insure you?
              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

thanks for the advice. I have emailed MIB today for the records and how to obtain them as well as emailed my previous insurers ( there have only been 2, Octagon and Kwikfit) to get a record of everything they have. I am just worried about the consequences of having insurance approved and then revoked. Will this go against me? I even asked for a quote from a company that insures ex-cons because I must be that bad. Claims are not criminal convictions. Aside from the 3 points I have no criminal convictions at all.

Comment

I am just worried about the consequences of having insurance approved and then revoked. Will this go against me?
                  I'm not sure. Did you pay for the insurance before they told you they couldn't go ahead?
                  Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I still think you need to try and find a local family broker where you can sit down and explain everything. When you go online boxes are ticked without explanation.

Comment

yes I did, got a refund from goskippy, will need to speak to a person from bewiser about it tomorrow.

Comment

there have only been 2, Octagon and Kwikfit .
                        Kwikfit is a broker and you've had previous car insurance through them so why not ring their freephone number for a quote where you can talk to a human being to explain the circumstances in detail on 0800 561 0700.

They should have your previous claims' history with them (if there was one) on their files. Once you've got the extra information from Octagon you can update the details with Kwikfit and hopefully they will be able to place your business.

Please don't stress about all this, sometimes it's the make and model of the car which makes a difference, or the amount of excess you're willing to pay. You've no need to feel guilty about having loads of claims because that's what car insurance is for

If you've recently had a serious accident which put you in hospital it's very courageous of you to get behind the wheel again so soon. I'm glad you've fully recovered

Comment

thank you, it is being sorted. The cancelled thing is an error and I have a full list of the claims now. It isn't as bad as I had thought ( if you know what I mean). Bewiser are giving me a refund. I feel so much better for getting this off my chest. I have been on another site and everyone is a bit condescending which makes me sad.

The good news is that I have spoken to a broker given them all my claims, mitigating circumstances etc etc and they have done me a deal that I am extremely pleased with. I feel less like a criminal and a failure now!!

Comment

That's brilliant news, well done. We never judge here, just try to help. If you look around the site you may find other areas where you can share problems or help others with your experiences.
                            Good luck with the driving.

Comment

I am a school teacher so I am always available for online tutoring (for free), advice about SEN appeals, school place appeals/advice etc. This is a genuine offer to all even though it is not debt or finance related. Please feel free, I am more than willing and happy to help!!

Comment

we could even have a section for it?!!

Comment

Working...
                                X