GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Possible CIFAS issue - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible CIFAS issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible CIFAS issue

Hey there,
    I am loking for some general advice.

I had a Bank of Scotland account (to be fair, it was left dormant as I stopped using it) and a Santander 123 account for my bills alongside a Monzo account for spending.
    Monzo have recently introduced functionality which makes it easier for Direct Debits to come out of savings pots meaning it's far easier to budget with all my money in the one account.

As such, I switched my Santander account to Monzo and have my salary and Direct Debits through them.

Shortly after I switched my Santander account, I received a text from BoS stating after an account review, I have 60 days to find alternative banking arrangements.
    Santander also blocked my online banking on the same day ; I had my Help To Buy ISA with them and a savings account still.

Santander phoned me today to inform me that from their review, there was notes on my account stating they had received information from a Third Party Bank and referred me to CIFAS ; nothing more, nothing less. They then told me to contact CIFAS directly.

I have in the last few days also upgraded my mobile phone with a provider I've never used before ; I would have thought if there was any CIFAS marker on there, that would have been declined?

I am absolutely sick with worry ; I know I've done nothing wrong but I feel so much like a criminal it's unbelieable

Any help would be so appreciated as I have no idea what to do ; I have sent away a SAR to CIFAS as it couldn't be done online.

Welcome to AAD, I don’t know anything about CIFAS; from what I am aware they don’t issue these markers unless they think there is evidence to support the action. Whilst you are waiting for your DSAR result have you thought of doing a credit check? If there is a CIFAS marker this may give you an idea what it refers to.
    Once you know why this marker has been placed then there may be more help on the forum. We usually suggest that people dealing with CIFAS contact our site administrator for help. Webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hello

Is your Monzo current account still live so you can function financially while this mess gets sorted?

You're right to send a SAR to Cifas as your starting point.

This is what Never-in-Doubt (forum owner) says about challenging Cifas markers >

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post

You need to follow process - the bank must prove that they have the evidence as though they could pursue legal action against you, so if they can't do that they should not be adding a CIFAS. The fact you may have shared details shouldn't be a barrier either, as in that would be irresponsible - not fraud. Not if you were unaware of the crime being committed.

Your first post of call would be to contact Action Fraud and then contact CIFAS and get the data they hold and see what it says, then you go to the lender who added the marker and send them evidence of what you explained in post one above - photocopy everything, do not send originals.

You would explain to the lender who added CIFAS that you are the victim here - not the perpetrator and provide them with the crime number you'll get when you report it to Action Fraud (online bobbies).
      ​​​​​
      The bank must show without reasonable doubt that they believe you are the perpetrator and have evidence to prosecute for fraud. If they do not then they cannot issue a CIFAS; in which case you'd request a final response and then contact the FOS for their intervention.
      Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Mayhew View Post
        Hello

Is your Monzo current account still live so you can function financially while this mess gets sorted?

You're right to send a SAR to Cifas as your starting point.

This is what Never-in-Doubt (forum owner) says about challenging Cifas markers >

Di

Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate it.
        My Monzo account is still up and running as is my Nationwide Credit Card.

I did receive a vague letter from Santander today from the Fraud investigation team saying they work from information from other parties and as such they have blocked the accounts with full closure in 30 days.
        My SAR is already sent to CIFAS so hopefully I hear back soon.

Sick with worry

Comment

Originally posted by RyanK92 View Post
          letter from Santander today from the Fraud investigation team saying they work from information from other parties and as such they have blocked the accounts with full closure in 30 days.
          My SAR is already sent to CIFAS so hopefully I hear back soon.
          Cifas have a statutory obligation to comply with your SAR within 30 days.

You need to get to the bottom of this asap.

If an error has been made, and you have suffered as a consequence, then you may be looking at claiming damages.

Cross each bridge as you get to it.

Di

Comment

Just a bit of an update.
            I am still awaiting on the SARs from CIFAS, Santander and Bos.
            I have however noticed that Experian are unable to verify my identity and existing Experian accounts (MSE Credit Club) now no longer work.
            I wonder if that is linked?

Comment

Working...
            X