GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script CIFAS Marker Help? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CIFAS Marker Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIFAS Marker Help?

Hi everyone,

Would anyone be kind enough to help me out with getting a CIFAS Marker removed?

It’s a Misuse of Facility - Third Party Fraud Facilitator and it was issued by Barclays.

A friend (who I thought I could trust)
    sent a message on Snapchat asking if I’d like the ‘chance to earn a little bit of Bitcoin’.

With Bitcoin and crypto getting a lot of hype lately I asked what’s the catch jokingly and they told me that there’s no catch and all I had to do was sign up to Gemini (which is a regulated crypto exchange) and link my bank account to it. They also said they had to log in to my online banking (and before anyone jumps at me, I KNOW alarm bells should’ve started ringing as soon as they said that). I was apprehensive but I was told that it’s all legit and that all they were doing is sending bitcoin from their own wallet to the Gemini wallet I created and would sell it on the exchange and then wire transfer the sold Bitcoin to my bank account in GBP.

I thought surely it can’t be fraud because I won’t be receiving money into my bank account from another account so it should be fine..

Suddenly one day, I got a text from the bank saying my account had been frozen and to get in touch with the bank. They said that £3600 had been deposited into my bank account from another account at Santander and asked where the funds had come from. I told them I have no idea where the money’s come from and that I wasn’t expecting that much money to be deposited into my account in the first place. Long story short I denied any wrong doing and told them I have no knowledge about the funds deposited. The woman tried to scare me into saying the truth but I told her I only set up an account to purchase Bitcoin through Gemini, I have nothing to do with the money that came in and did not anticipate it.

They did their review and in due course wrote a letter to me saying they had decided to close my account because of a violation of terms and conditions. Luckily I have an account with Starling I’ve had for years to use in the meantime but two weeks ago I received a letter from Lloyds saying that my help to buy ISA would be closed because of a risk assessment and information they’ve received from another bank. They suggested I obtain a SAR and I contacted CIFAS to which they replied and on the SAR is a Misuse of Facility marker issued by Barclays.

I’m extremely stressed and worried my existing accounts will be shut down in a matter of time and I cannot afford for this to happen as I have multiple things on credit and need an account to keep up with my bills. Not only that but I wouldn’t be able to have any access to an account or credit for 6 YEARS.

I had no idea the person would be sending fraudulent money to my account, it’s not what I was told and I believe I’ve been the victim of a money mule scam. It’s only now I’ve discovered what a money mule is and wasn’t aware there was a term for it. This was a genuine mistake and had I known better I would’ve never participated

Email Niddy on webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk refer to this thread
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Okay, will do so right away. Thank you for the response also!

Comment

Working...
      X