GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Where to bank after SB debts with most - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to bank after SB debts with most

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to bank after SB debts with most

Having had so many accounts defaulted and SBd, I am currently with my longest standing bank and a basic account elsewhere. My old bank is offering me a credit card. If I take it could they claw back old debts? They have not yet.

I know banks keep records way past 7 years, even on closed accounts, but the credit card and banking facilities/records may be kept separately in the larger banks.

So if I were to approach another bank with which I have had no acquaintance:
    Does anybody know whether banks refer to the archives when approached by an "old" client?
    Do they check where the client has previously banked, in their archives? Now they are sharing data do they have access to all previous issues elsewhere?
    Do they care? Most will have insurance for written off bad debts.

I don't really need one, but I wanted to improve my credit score for a possible future mortgage. However, I do not want to shot myself in the foot.

If the account is SB, was sold on, dropped off credit file. I can't see how they would have a valid claim. The company that bought it has paid them for it.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I have a credit card with a company I owed £4,000+ and it was just over 6 years later no problem
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Its odd, some companies seem to have markers on names and addresses while some don't.

Oddly TSB turned me down for an account even though I have never had an account with them although there were defaulted accounts with HBOS

I have a credit card with one who gave me the card even while the purchaser who bought the debt was chasing me in court and I have a Barclaycard even though there is a very old and unsatisfied CCJ ( I mean 25 years old). However RBS will not entertain me - they sold their cards on to Cabot only 2 years ago

There are plenty of new banks out there, I have a Metro account - its great if you go to Europe as there are no fees for using it to get cash or purchases (the only reason I have it)
        I also have a coop account which is my daily 'spends' account and a B account which has my student cash stashed in earning all of 1% interest

Comment

Thanks all. There is hope then.

Metro seems a good bet at present, but TSB and Santander are Spanish owned and they and similar may have Brexit impacts.

Comment

Although Metro lacks branches unless you live in the Greater London area (and Birmingham although they have been building it for months) there customer service is A1. I am not quite sure though how you go about paying in cheques but I have other accounts I can do that with (the B app lets you pay in cheques up to £500 via the app).

I forgot to mention, I also have a card cash account from HBOS but that is dormant and doesn't show up on my credit file

Comment

Working...
            X