GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Renting with cifas - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renting with cifas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting with cifas

Hi, unsure if I’m posting into the right forum - apologies if not. My partner and I are looking to move out and start renting somewhere however he has a Cifas fraud marker (not a victim one) on his name which will remain for 5.5 more years. I am wondering if we can still rent with the marker?

I phoned an estate agents to enquire about a property and I told them about my partners Cifas marker, and the estate agent said they had never heard of this before but they googled it and said as it is adverse credit then we would not pass the credit checks for renting and he could not let us any properties.

I am wondering if this is the case for all estate agencies as we need to start renting soon but that will be made impossible if he cannot pass any credit checks. It’s not possible to put the place just in my name as my income is not high enough on its own. I understand that often they need a weeks deposit which will be a couple of hundred pounds to hold the property whilst they do the checks. I do not want to risk doing the credit checks as if we fail them then we will lose that money.

Please advise if anyone has been able to previously rent with a Cifas marker? He has tried to get it removed but has been rejected.

Hi

I don't know, but you could try enquiring with a more knowledgeable estate agent, and if you get the same answer you will know how you stand.

You say "My partner and I are looking to move out and start renting somewhere" Where are you both living now?

Comment

Thanks for your response, we currently both live at home with parents. His parents are moving away in January so we are looking for our own place to move into. He can stay with my parents temporarily but this is not a long term solution (only for a couple of months). With the Cifas marker still on his name for 5 more years I am not sure what we can do if landlords will not accept him due to the Cifas.

Comment

You could try asking your question to the legal expert online here -
        https://www.justanswer.co.uk/propert...as-marker.html

Also
        The MSB Solicitors website says -
        "Landlords ask for credit checks and in some circumstances can refuse to rent out properties to people if they become aware of Cifas markers."
        https://www.msbsolicitors.co.uk/cifa...0be%20refused.

There are discussions on various forums as to whether a simple credit check would throw up a cifas marker (cifas being a separate register), opinions vary on this, but these are not from experts, only contributors offering opinions with no links to sites to back them up.

Anyway, make your enquiries as suggested, and do let us know how you get on.
        Last edited by Still Waving; 20 December 2023, 14:53.

Comment

Working...
        X