GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Paying debts while undergoing chemo for cancer - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paying debts while undergoing chemo for cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying debts while undergoing chemo for cancer

Hi all,

I posted on here quite a while ago now and pleased to say all those things sorted in one way or another.

New topic I could do with some thoughts on.

I’ve been diagnosed with non-curable cancer and am undergoing chemotherapy until at least March so am unable to work currently and am receipt of adult disability payment (Scotland) and contribution based ESA, much less than I was earning before. No prognosis yet but I reckon somewhere between 2-10 years, hopefully longer!

Taken at least 6 months off work and will in reality probably be a bit longer but still feeling pretty good so hoping to do something by the middle of next year. May do a day a week from the new year to earn the £150 ish allowed per week under ESA without losing the benefit (All in hand with cancer charity).

Me and my wife have separate accounts and finances and share the monthly bills 50% each, which my benefits cover but don't leave anything over for payment to my credit cards, in my name only. So I've contacted them and given me 2-3 months to figure out a plan, all been pretty good to be honest. My wife could help out somewhat, but I'd rather she saved money for when I'm not around and pay off the small amount of debt she has rather than mine. They will need to wait until I have more income to pay them, that's my plan currently.

No real savings, rent house and car on finance with no equity, payments up to date as need it as no public transport where I live.

A couple of questions related to the card accounts, all taken out in Scotland within last 8 years:

1. I’m assuming on the income/expenditure forms from my creditors its acceptable to say we have separate finances and just list my contribution to the joint household bills? I guess they may not be happy about that?

2. I assume that there’s no way anyone (creditor/Scottish court) could make my wife pay anything towards credit agreements solely in my name.

Any comments gratefully received.

Tahnks

HB

your alledged debt not your wife!s, they cannot hold her responsible.

You have no assets so any - OK in your favour. do not jump the gun and fraternise with the telephone jockeys. all in writing if advised to on here, no answer phone calls if/when you get bombarded (if you do keep seperate diary time/date/company). we have harassment letters on here if necessary.
    if it came to it and the alledged debts enforceable then you take lead with lower/affordable amount , no negotiation with them .

Diary? each account. no talking to them unless advised on here.

Type of account –
    Date commenced
    Approx balance -
    Date last paid –
    Are you on arrangement or not paying –
    Status - Default
    Account owner -
    Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 12 November 2022, 08:13.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks, what I suspected.

All in writing as I asked them to make reasonable adjustments for disability which cancer is and they are all playing ball so far, but changed to a number I don't use daily just in case...

Thats pretty much the info I need for now and will follow up with the diary stuff as and when required in a few months or when something unexpected happens.

HB

Comment

Diary/Diary/Diary???????????????
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
        X