GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Right to Buy - Would it be a mistake? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right to Buy - Would it be a mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to Buy - Would it be a mistake?

Hello to everyone on the forum. I have some questions and am hoping that someone on here can help me in answering them.

I have an outstanding debt with a mortgage lender following my home being repossessed about 8 years ago. I have been managing the debt by arranging a yearly agreement with them on how much is affordable to me to pay back every month. I have never broken my agreement to date. The debt remaining is about £90k.

I have been renting in state owned accommodation since becoming homeless. I have never been out of work and have always paid my rent and council tax.

The dilemma I now have is that I have been told that I am eligible to buy my home from the state, under the Right to Buy scheme. I could get up to 70% discount off the market price if I choose to buy it.

I share the house with 3 other adults (wife, son and daughter) who all would like to put their names on the agreement in a joint purchase.

My question is; If the 4 of us buy the house, can the mortgage lender that I am in debt to, come after my share, and can they sell the house to get their money back. How would this effect the other three shareholders. Would the other 3 shareholders have to pay my debt off in full in order to buy back my share, assuming the mortgage lender claimed my share. I don't want to buy the house if the mortgage lender can just walk in at any time and take possession of my share, or the house.

Many thanks
    Grogu

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...-you-live-with

https://www.ansonssolicitors.com/cha...-joint-owners/
    (A Case Study)
    Last edited by Still Waving; 13 September 2022, 20:59.

Comment

Working...
    X