GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script meter problems - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

meter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meter problems

Hello, I have only just noticed our electric meter readings have been the same since January. I have organised a new one to be installed but this will be May. Given the huge price increase from April, I am concerned how I will be charged. Shell energy who I am with, have accepted for March the reading of 9810 which has been the same since Jan 2022. When the new meter reading is taken in May there will be a substantial difference, most of which should be at the old tariff pre April 1st. Has anybody any advice on how I tackle this or how this is worked out by energy companies please? Thanks

HI

Surely the new meter will start at notional Zero, or some established figure, and going forward you will be charged from whatever the reading is at installation for your future usage. You say that they have accepted the March reading, but have they said they will not look to recover for your usage between Jan and March?

What I think they should do is look at your usage for the relevant months last year (Jan/Feb to May) and take that as your notional usage for this year. You should then be charged at the prevailing rate up to end of March, and at the new rate from date of increased charge to when actual readings recommence.

Comment

If you say they have excepted the reading for March, is that to March 31st?
      I would be more concerned with how they are going to charge from 1st April until May when new meter is fitted. Neither you or they will have a recorded value so it will be a case of negotiation between both.
      what ever they do, both in terms of the confirmation of March reading and the usage between March and May make sure you get it in written confirmation, at least this way you will have something to show/use should the need arise.

Comment

Thanks both for replying. Yes the reading of 9810 it is stuck on, is what they are accepting to March 31st. I think I will have to write to them and press them for a written reply over this issue. I can't really wait until May and then see what the engineer decides to tell me on the day. Regarding usage it will probably be lower than last year as we have been trying not to use appliances etc to keep costs down.

Comment

I would have thought that they couldn’t force a payment as they have no factual data to go on, however see what they say then offer a lower counter offer, I can’t see how they can refuse as you are not responsible for their metering equipment. If they then try to give you to pay then I’d refuse point blank and ask them to prove your usage before you agree any payments. I find a letter at this point to the CEO usually helps a quick resolve.

Comment

Hello Time Will Tell, many thanks. Yes I have actually just written to the CEO and copied in the CFO.

Dear Mr ...........

I write directly to yourself as I need urgent and correct advice please regarding my energy concerns.

I reported that my electricity meter has been stuck on the reading 9810 since January of this year, as I had noticed the last three readings were identical.

I have booked a date for a new meter to be installed which I have been told is at no cost to myself. The installation is due for May 11th.

What I need to know please and cannot yet get an answer to, is what happens regarding my readings? Neither I nor Shell will have a recorded value of readings from April 1st to May 11th when the new meter is turned on.

I have been told that the present reading of 9810 has been accepted up to March 31st. My concern is what the new meter reading will be, most of the energy will have been used while the old rate was in place and we have been desperately trying not to use excess energy with the increase due to happen.

All I have so far is an email saying I can ask the engineer on the day any questions I have, but that is over one month away and will stress me until then. As with most people money is tight and I need to plan ahead for any sudden large bills. Debt is something I do not have nor want.

Due to medical conditions (brain tumour and epilepsy) I can only work short hours and I am on benefits to help top up money for household bills.

Please could you kindly give me answers to my queries?

Regards

Comment

That’s a good letter as a starting place, so see what response comes back.

Comment

You can complain to the energy ombudsman if you’ve already complained to your energy company and either:
                • you’re not happy with their decision
                • you’ve not been given a decision within 8 weeks

The energy ombudsman is independent and can:
                • get the supplier to look at your complaint again
                • decide that the supplier made the right decision
                • force the supplier to give you a response to your complaint

In some instances, they might tell your supplier to give you financial compensation.
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hello many thanks for your advice both, I will see what happens next and update on here.

Comment

Originally posted by seaside girl View Post
                    Hello Time Will Tell, many thanks. Yes I have actually just written to the CEO and copied in the CFO.

Dear Mr ...........

I write directly to yourself as I need urgent and correct advice please regarding my energy concerns.

I reported that my electricity meter has been stuck on the reading 9810 since January of this year, as I had noticed the last three readings were identical.

I have booked a date for a new meter to be installed which I have been told is at no cost to myself. The installation is due for May 11th.

What I need to know please and cannot yet get an answer to, is what happens regarding my readings? Neither I nor Shell will have a recorded value of readings from April 1st to May 11th when the new meter is turned on.

I have been told that the present reading of 9810 has been accepted up to March 31st. My concern is what the new meter reading will be, most of the energy will have been used while the old rate was in place and we have been desperately trying not to use excess energy with the increase due to happen.

All I have so far is an email saying I can ask the engineer on the day any questions I have, but that is over one month away and will stress me until then. As with most people money is tight and I need to plan ahead for any sudden large bills. Debt is something I do not have nor want.

Due to medical conditions (brain tumour and epilepsy) I can only work short hours and I am on benefits to help top up money for household bills.

Please could you kindly give me answers to my queries?

Regards
                    A couple of observations, the first one playing devil's advocate. Shell -"If you had noticed the meter reading was not changing, why did you not report it sooner?"

The new meter will have no connection with the old meter, and it cannot backward read usage. It will only read usage from the date of installation, which will all be at the new rate. The energy company can only estimate your usage for the non-recorded period, and if they estimate for the period prior to 31 March it will have to be at the old rate. (Do you have it in writing that they are accepting your reading of 9810 up to 31 March?)

Comment

Morning, thanks for your last post many apologies for not answering earlier. Yes totally agree with your comments and observations. A chap from Shell has telephoned me, so not in writing as I had tried to do. He assured me that any calculations taken from before the new installation, would be taken from our readings of this time last year. He tried to assure me that I would not be overcharged re the new rates just come in. I did record the call on our 'true call system', so I can go back to what he said if the need arises. I have it in writing re the online chat that the 9810 reading has been accepted up to 31st March yes. I will now wait and see as to what happens after installation.

Comment

Working...
                      X