GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Repaying Pension overpayment. What happens when I die ? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repaying Pension overpayment. What happens when I die ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repaying Pension overpayment. What happens when I die ?

I am repaying a pension overpayment by monthly instalments deducted at source. This will go on for a number of years. What happens to the outstanding amount should I die before the overpayment is fully repaid ?
    Will the pension company demand it from my estate, from my wife if she is still alive or what ?
    Thanks.

Benefit overpayments: Repayments when someone has died = relates to Gov pension? yours???

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for the link.
      The pension I am referring to is from Teacher's Pensions, not the State Pension.

Comment

Dealing with mistakes and overpayments with your pension

useful info here, how long ago was the mistake made i.e. over 6 years etc?

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks again for the link.
          Error admitted by Teacher's Pensions was in 2002 and discovered in 2018 but Statute of Limitations does not apply as its recovery of public funds. There is a set legal precedent for this. I have worked my way through all the appeals procedures and now the papers are with the Pension Ombudsman for a final decision, but this could be 12 months to wait.
          I don't hold out any great hope so that was the reason for the question about " What happens after my death".
          I think I will have to talk to a solicitor about my Will and see if there are any options open to me.
          Cheers.

Comment

The normal rule is that any liabilities are to be repaid from the Estate of the deceased, if there are any funds left after payment of priority debts (not sure if your case is classed as a priority debt, from what you have said). If there are insufficient funds in the Estate, creditors do not normally have recourse to the family of the deceased. However, the situation might be different if your wife is entitled to a reduced pension from the same source after your death.

Professional legal advice needed.

Comment

Limitation

Under the Limitation Act, trustees must bring any claim against a member to recover overpaid pension within six years of the date on which the mistake was discovered (or should have been discovered with reasonable diligence) – this needs to be carefully assessed. Members have been able to use the limitation period as a successful defence against a restitution claim where trustees could with more care have discovered the mistake earlier.

Comment

Working...
              X