GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Hi All, looking for guidance regarding credit card debts - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi All, looking for guidance regarding credit card debts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All, looking for guidance regarding credit card debts

Hi All, I’ve come across this wonderful site after having my head buried in the sand after a costly divorce and realising that I need to deal with my situation and can’t believe that there really is some brilliant genuine help out there!

Also, I bought a property with my partner a few years back and I’m thinking of selling the property so she doesn’t have any complications while I sort this out.

So in the hope that I can be guided with the best way forward I recently joined up to the site and would like to give an intro into my situation as follows.

I started token payments in 2015 with credit card debts of 32k and now am looking to get some sort of strategy to get to a resolution. Also, I’m 54 years old and so would like to sort this out.

I’m just really looking for some advice about whether I should go the UE route or could I maybe do some hopefully very cheap F&F’s and basically what would be the best options for my situation?

Thanks for reading and would be great to hear back.
    Last edited by JerryG; 12 September 2018, 15:38.

Hello JerryG

Selling your property to resolve this situation may be premature (and extreme!).

Why not explore whether any of these debts are unenforceable before you take the next step.

Start a Diary listing each one in a separate post and we'll take it from there.

Read this first to see how things work > https://all-about-debt.co.uk/forum/d...-read-me-first

I look forward to helping you.

Di
    Last edited by Joanna Connolly Solicitors; 17 September 2018, 11:21.

Comment

Hi JerryG and welcome.

I am quite new here too, but your position is very similar to mine and my Husband's. We are looking at the unenforceable aspect of our credit card debts and would suggest that could be an option for you. If you start your own diary then you will get plenty of advice from everyone here. I believe it doesn't hurt to explore that option. There is lots of information worth a read in the forum's and letter templates etc.,

Good luck.

Comment

54 - yes that is so past it :-)

At the tender age of 53 almost all my debts are now Statute barred because they were unenforceable and I now have credit again - bucket loans as it happens - I would esitmate 70% of my annual income although I am using much less than that and all will be paid off in October

It is certainly worth looking at the UE route

Comment

Thanks Di and yes that all makes good sense… was just in a bit of a panic mode. So I’ll attempt to explore the UE route I just hope I can find all the correspondence from all those years ago.

Thank you sunnylolly and Warwick 65 for your words of encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryG View Post
            Thanks Di and yes that all makes good sense… was just in a bit of a panic mode. So I’ll attempt to explore the UE route I just hope I can find all the correspondence from all those years ago.

Don't worry if you can't find your correspondence - let's hope the creditors or debt purchasers can't find the paperwork either

Start listing your debts (each one in a separate post on the same thread) and then the forum can get cracking on helping you with your unenforceable journey.

Good Luck!

Di

Comment

Hi and welcome aboard,

No need to panic, breath deeply, exhale, and lets start to put you on the right track

NW
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi and welcome to AAD; you are already starting to take control of your situation by posting here. You will get support and guidance without judgement. Read around the site, especially here https://all-about-debt.co.uk/forum/d...bility-diaries asyou will find out how others have dealt with everything, though every situation is different. Always ask if you are unsure what to do - no question is stupid and may save you a lot of money!
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Getting there… few issues, please bear with me but nearly ready to post. Just wanted to ask if I should include a couple of cards that I haven’t heard from in about 3 years? Also there’s a Debt Recovery Company that has recently sent me letters, emails and texts asking me to contact them as soon as possible regarding my circumstances, so is it best to reply and if so how and what to say? Thanks!

Comment

Always wise to include cards you haven't heard from. These might suddenly spring into life. As to whether you should contact these? Or perhaps send S.77/78? Best to let sleeping dogs lie!
                    So you are being chased by a Debt Recovery Company.
                    You should include these in your Diary's (on the correct Debt) without replying unless advised by say the MODS.
                    You should keep a record of time and date of these txt's, phones and of course the letters - builds up a picture - AAD have a harassment Template Letter which could be used if these become a nuisance.

But this I hypothetical general advice and what you should try to do now is set Out your Diary

Comment

Getting there… few issues, please bear with me but nearly ready to post. Just wanted to ask if I should include a couple of cards that I haven’t heard from in about 3 years? Also there’s a Debt Recovery Company that has recently sent me letters, emails and texts asking me to contact them as soon as possible regarding my circumstances, so is it best to reply and if so how and what to say? Thanks!
                      This is just a fishing letter/text call. They are checking if they have the right person,

have you moved since taking out these accounts?
                      just start your Diary and we can see where you stand, this enables us to give you suggestion s on what you could do next,

Please include the ones you haven't heard fron as well.x

Comment

nearly ready to post. Just wanted to ask if I should include a couple of cards that I haven’t heard from in about 3 years? Also there’s a Debt Recovery Company that has recently sent me letters, emails and texts asking me to contact them as soon as possible regarding my circumstances, so is it best to reply and if so how

A couple of questions from me

Firstly, are you currently paying these debts?

Secondly, have you sent s77-79 CCA Requests to any/all of the account holders?

There's no one answer to your question about whether to respond or ignore letters from a DCA without knowing the backstory of the debt and who they are acting for such as the original creditor or a debt purchaser. It's not always obvious when a debt has been assigned (sold) so could this DCA be a debt purchaser? Name names.

And a lot will depend on whether the debt is a credit card, loan, overdraft etc. so making a separate post for each debt is the best way to get accurate help.

Di

Comment

Working...
                        X